Black screen after installing a new graphics card. :( (A bit of a noob)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddiaz_2012

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
Over the weekend, I bought a GeForce GT 640 2GB 128-bit DDR3 card and a 530w PSU to go along with the upgrade to my system. Upon installation of both devices (every power cable was plugged back into its appropriate spot, as well as the card), I booted my PC up to get started only to find no feedback. Just a black screen and no beeping to indicate improper installation. I opened my tower back up to make sure everything was connected properly and it was then I rebooted and still, nothing. I connected my VGA cable into the integrated graphics and still received no feedback so I decided to remove the card. Upon removal, I was able to receive a signal from my integrated graphics. So, I'm lost. What caused this?

I wondered if it was my motherboard that was maybe out of date, but it seems like that isn't actually possible. Then, I also figured it could be my CPU that is out of date, but I'm not sure if that's possible either.

My specs:
Model: HP Pavilion A6500F
Processor: Intel Pentium Dual E2220 @ 2.40GHz
RAM: 4 GB
PSU: 530w

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Here are the steps I tried to fix the issue on my computer.

1. Turn off the computer and unplug.
  2. Remove Graphic card.
  3. Plug the monitor to your video output.
  4. Turn on the computer.
  5. Click on start and type msconfig.
  6. Select the Boot tab and click on the box that says Safe boot with minimal selected.
  7. Apply then click ok.
  8. DO NOT RESTART.
  9. Shut Down computer and unplug.
  10. Install Graphic card.
  11. Turn on the computer (should boot into safe mode).
  12. Go into Device Manager.
  13. Expand Display Adapter.
  14. Disable the Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 driver. (DO NOT UNINSTALL).
  15. Click the start button and type msconfig.
  16. Unclick Safe boot.
  17. Restart.

The computer will restart normally and will no longer get the...

ddiaz_2012

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
This pc did not have a gpu previously installed, it was the first one to be installed onto it since it was purchased off retail 5 or so years ago. xD

And no, no bios, no boot menu or anything, total black screen and no audio either.

Juan Merlos

Honorable
May 9, 2013

I was having the same issue however I have a GTX 660. I did everything above except uninstall. I booted into safe mode and disable (NOT uninstall) the Intel HD 4000 display driver.

After restarted and everything worked. :)

Juan Merlos

Honorable
May 9, 2013
Here are the steps I tried to fix the issue on my computer.

1. Turn off the computer and unplug.
  2. Remove Graphic card.
  3. Plug the monitor to your video output.
  4. Turn on the computer.
  5. Click on start and type msconfig.
  6. Select the Boot tab and click on the box that says Safe boot with minimal selected.
  7. Apply then click ok.
  8. DO NOT RESTART.
  9. Shut Down computer and unplug.
  10. Install Graphic card.
  11. Turn on the computer (should boot into safe mode).
  12. Go into Device Manager.
  13. Expand Display Adapter.
  14. Disable the Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 driver. (DO NOT UNINSTALL).
  15. Click the start button and type msconfig.
  16. Unclick Safe boot.
  17. Restart.

The computer will restart normally and will no longer get the black screen. See if that works for you. I didn't mess with any setting in the BIOS. I am assuming that having two graphic driver install don't like to play well with each other :)

My rig:
-ASUS Motherboard P8Z77 pro
-RAM Patriot Viper 16GB
-Video Card Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 DirectCU OC 2GB
-Processor Core i5 3570k

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution

cjg93

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011

I can't do any of those step because my motherboard doens't have onboard graphics and wont recognize any graphics card I put in

ddiaz_2012

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
So I ended up returning the 640 since I ended up having to buy a graphics card for someone else. I got a 610 (yeah, much weaker) and I tried installing that too, didn't work tried it on someone's pc and it did get a signal. So I removed it, rebooted, set the primary display slot as the PCI-E, uninstalled the on-board card's drivers, shut it down, re-attached the 610 and still no signal. My motherboard must be outdated then, right? >.>

BedevereTheWise

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013

I have a similar problem to the original poster, but the solution here didn't work once I reached step 11. My computer turned on, and it was clear that the monitor was receiving video and that windows was attempting to boot in safe mode because It displayed that it was bottling in safe mode - minimal. It also showed a long list of loaded files, mostly in system32/drivers. However, when I got to the login screen, within a few seconds the process would start all over again. I'm sure I did all the steps prior to that correctly.

shahibaaz

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013

thanx a lot buddy, your method works for me like a charm....

jamestkirk

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013

I was able to do everything on your list. I was excited when my GPU booted into safe mode. But then I went to disable Intell HD 4000 and it said AMD 7900 driver was being used instead. Before doing this, I tried to install the display drivers from the CD while using the integrated GPU--then switched to the GPU and it didn't work. Not sure if that was a good idea. What do I do now? I still get the black screen when not in safe mode.

Thanks. I hope you can help me.

mcolca123

Honorable
Dec 13, 2013
I'm having a similar issue with my computer. My only problem is along with the blank screen from putting in the new graphics card, I also get a blank screen with my motherboard VGA slot too. So i have no way to get into my computer to change anything. Is there a fix for this on my own? Or would I be better off taking it to someone to fix?

EggsbyIHOP

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013

I am having a similar problem and when I get to step 11 I still get a blank screen. MSI R9 270X, Intel i5 4570, MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate Motherboard. This is a brand new build. Everything is plugged in, the fans on the cards spin when I turn on the computer, just no signal.

beyondcashed

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014
1)go to bios settings - set primary display device to PEG OR PCI E[/quotemsg]

Thank you so much, i waisted so much time, with a particular issue i was having, i upgraded my cpu fan and got a msi gtx 760oc was just having crazy ass issues like infinite boot loop and blank screen finally i went into bios and set it to boot image from my motherboard and it finally worked,

when i would try to boot up windows without my GPU in , it would infinite loop/boot post, and when i put GPU in motherboard , than it would boot normal, but i would have no image when plugging in to the GPU or the mobo, so the solution was to Keep the new GPU plugged in and go to bios and set primary display device to my mother board intel hd graphics thing.....man this has saved me so far! im back into windows and can do shit, now installing new drivers for gtx760 and on my way!

Karami

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013

Thank you champ, 1 year on and your post is still helping people.

SemvV

Reputable
Oct 9, 2014

How do I turn off my pc to change graphics card and then boot into safe mode? cause i can only restart into safe mode so i cant change my card...

kybee1988

Reputable
Jan 10, 2015
I did have the same problem installing my NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 graphics card. Turns out, the built-in or legacy hardware (i'm not sure on the terms i use.. hehe), is sort of conflicting with the graphics card.

when you enter in safe mode, check the components in your display adapter. Mine had the Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.0) and the other one is the Graphics Card installed.

What was done was after installing the graphics card, i did not reboot immediately. in the display adapters, try DISABLING the legacy hardware first (if there is).. and then reboot after disabling..

i hope this helps..

pa4an4ix

Reputable
Feb 13, 2015

Thanks, it worked for me perfectly. I installed a Sapphire Radeon R7 240 LP dual HDMI to an aging Dell Optiplex 755 SFF to play an occasional old game. This was the only card I could get that would fit into the small SFF case (fitted snugly, with some 5 mm reserve in width, the principal problem of that case). The only catch of this card is the absence of an VGA output; you need either an HDMI/DVI input on your monitor, or get an HDMI/VGA adapter which was by no means cheap (had to by it). On start-up, after the Windows logo, the monitor went into sleep mode and could not be woken up. Starting up without the card and uninstalling Integrated Graphics adapter did not solve the problem. After restoring, followed the steps in this guide, and much to my surprise it did boot up normally after step 17. Installed the drivers from the disc, and everything works like a charm.

jlh0402

Reputable
Mar 25, 2015

well I dont know this havent work for me.. ..maybe my motherboard is too old ..or dont know what am doing wrong ....i followed all the steps but am still getting the black screen everytime i installed the graphic card ... so dont know what else to do ....any help please ..... should i flash my bios ??

Status
Not open for further replies.