Black screen after restart

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 9, 2019
So. My pc turns on normal. But when I restart, it rarely only takes the first try. For example I had some problems with a couple of programs so I restarted the computer. And I couldn't start it for like 30 minutes. But the pc starts normally in safe mode. I tried uninstalling my graphics drivers. When they were uninstalled the pc started normally the the drivers installed and again. The same. My pc specs are the following: Evga GTX 1060 sc 6gb, intel core i5 4460, 8gb ram. Oh and I use windows 10. It loads the windows logo and after that its just black. But my keyboard chroma save loads meaning the programs are on. And I can hear the sound of the programs. This whole problem isn't really heartbreaking for me, but still it sucks. If you can, please help me out. Thanks.

Jan 9, 2019
So, I haven't yet done what you told me to, but I was thinking a lot and this is what I have to say. So when the gpu drivers are uninstalled the pc always starts normally. But this issue wasnt around about 3 months ago or so. I think it could be because of the cpu. Maybe somehow the gpu drivers are somehow rigging the cpu in any way? Like.... I dont get it. My pc starts normally after a rest or after coming back to it after some time. That means its all ok when it starts. But why does it happen after some time? Also, the cpu is bottlenecking my gpu, but I dont know if that can give any clues for the fix. But the main point is. I havent changed my components in a long time. Maybe I should try cleaning my pc or getting some older gpu driver version?

Ralston18

Titan
Task Manager and Resource Monitor can help identify bottlenecks.

Starting normally after a "rest" may indicate something overheating. The "rest" permits a cooldown.

Power off and unplug the PC. Open the case and inspect.

If components are dust covered, or there are dust bunnies, paper scraps, hairs, insect carcasses, and so forth then clean carefully. Be sure to follow the canned air instructions.

Check all seatings, cable connections, jumpers, RAM etc. to ensure that all are fully and firmly in place.

Jan 9, 2019
I reinserted everything. Made sure it was all clean. I took some pictures of my computer. Do you have skype or maybe discord? I could send you those pictures maybe you could find something? The problem is still here.

Jan 9, 2019
I could try using my gpu in my friends pc. Maybe we could see if its it or something other. I also have my old gpu. If its because of the gpu we could start looking more into it.

Jan 9, 2019
Wait. I figured something out. When the problem is not present the resolution is normal. But when the problem is present the windows logo is low resolution. I think this points to the GPU or maybe my Ram.

Jan 9, 2019
OH ok. My monitor is an Aoc E2470Sw and it supports 1920x1080p. And my GPU----https://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=06G-P4-6163-KR---- im not sure, maybe you can find something?

Ralston18

Titan
The link you provided is for a PSU.

The question is what resolutions are supported by the active GPU being used?

You will need to use the respective User Guide/Manual for the GPU and monitor to identify the supported resolutions and then match up the applicable configuration settings.

Jan 9, 2019
Ok so in the evga page about the gpu, my "EVGA GTX 1060 SC 6gb" it says in resolution tab "Max digital 7680x4320". And in the page of my monitor specs it says that the resolution of it is 1920x1080. And how do I match up the "Applicable configuration settings" ?

Jan 9, 2019
Here it is, but I don't know what we are exactly looking for. I mean the monitor is older than the gpu but there were no problems with them both for about 7-8 months. Shouldn't we be looking at the ram or software?

Ralston18

Titan
One necessary action is to confirm that the GPU and monitor will both support the desired/required resolution.

And that does appear to be the case. You have, provided that I have followed things correctly, reinstalled the GPU drivers. Plus your system has 8 GB RAM which 1) has worked for several months without problems and 2) there does not seem to be any other RAM or software related errors presented.

In my mind the track to date is leading back to the GPU drivers. Restating: no problems in Safe Mode. Problems occur and reoccur with respect to the GPU drivers being installed.

What version of Windows 10 is currently installed? Doublecheck that you are indeed installing the correct GPU drivers.

Looking back: have you tried using the motherboard's integrated video port (if there is one)?

Make and model motherboard?