Black screen after restart

Jan 9, 2019
So. My pc turns on normal. But when I restart, it rarely only takes the first try. For example I had some problems with a couple of programs so I restarted the computer. And I couldn't start it for like 30 minutes. But the pc starts normally in safe mode. I tried uninstalling my graphics drivers. When they were uninstalled the pc started normally the the drivers installed and again. The same. My pc specs are the following: Evga GTX 1060 sc 6gb, intel core i5 4460, 8gb ram. Oh and I use windows 10. It loads the windows logo and after that its just black. But my keyboard chroma save loads meaning the programs are on. And I can hear the sound of the programs. This whole problem isn't really heartbreaking for me, but still it sucks. If you can, please help me out. Thanks.

Jan 9, 2019
The psu is a corsair rm 650x 650 watt. The pc is about a year old and its in good shape. I have cleaned it, but i never touched the ram and the jumpers, but im pretty sure they are ok.

ARAN_108

Reputable
Aug 11, 2016

Is the screen off or is it just black?

If it's black, there might be some program(s) that is hindering the loading of your desktop.

When the screen is black press alt+ctrl+del to see if the task manager screen pops up.
Then click task manager->File->New task
type in the command box "explorer.exe"

This should take you to desktop regardless of background tasks.

Jan 9, 2019
The monitor is not off it is on. It just pure black whenever this happens. I tried ctrl+alt+del, but nothing showed up. But i can use all the programs, if i wait some time.

ARAN_108

Reputable
Aug 11, 2016

Do you see the mouse pointer when the screen is black?

ARAN_108

Reputable
Aug 11, 2016

The first step you can take is doing a clean install of your video drivers.
1) Download DDU
2) Boot in safe mode
3) Run DDU
4) Boot normally and install new video driver

also remove any unwanted startup programs in your PC, just keep the bare minimum.

Jan 9, 2019
Hmm okay. This is weird. I still haven't reinstalled the drivers, but i turned off a couple of useless programs from starting up. And now 4/4 tries and all of them are ok, but I think this isn't right. I'l leave the pc on for a bit then restart it.

Ralston18

Titan
No problem on the down vote - that happens.

Take a look in Reliability History/Manager. You may discover some error code or other problem occurring just before or at the time of the black screens.

Event Viewer can be used in much the same way.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3128616/windows-event-viewer.html

Explore first and see what you can find. If there are errors post accordingly and google as well. No need to rush into any suggested fixes per se. Key is to narrow down to the problem source to a direct cause and effect relationship.

Which can be difficult due to vague error codes and the likelihood that a number of problems may result in the same error code.

Jan 9, 2019
Ok so I uninstalled the drivers. They are installing now. But the. Screen went black because that happens for a second or so when nvidia is updating drivers. So now the screen is black and i cant do anything about it. The sounds are still here.

Jan 9, 2019
Hmm. Okay.... So I think we are getting somewhere. After reinstalling the drivers. Today the my pc was on for about 5 hours. I then decided to restart the computer. 1st try launched perfectly fine. 2nd try again, fine. Usually it only normaly restarts if it was on for a short time. Im still not sure if all is ok, but I will have to say more tommorow.

Jan 9, 2019
In the reliability monitoring there is nothing from around the time when the black screen occured. But in event viewer in the system tab there is something about DHCP client.

Ralston18

Titan
"DHCP client" - likely something network related. May be informational in nature. Doubt that it would tie in with the black screens.

Power off. Unplug and open the case.

Try reseating the GPU and RAM. Check all other components, and cables as well. Just as a means to reduce potential problem sources.