Question Black screen and fans ramp up to max speed ?

Jul 18, 2024
I've been dealing with this for months. It started very occasionally, maybe once a month or two. It's now a few times a day. This happens during idle and while gaming randomly.

Specs:
MBD: MSI MAG B650 WiFi​
CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D​
GPU: 4090 Suprim X​
PSU: NZXT C1200​
RAM: Corsair Vengeance​

I usually hear a disconnected noise and my audio sometimes keeps going, sometimes not. Event viewer doesn't show anything. I set up force crashing with a keyboard and one time it didn't make a dump file. The other time I do have a dump file but I don't really know what I'm looking for. One time the computer restarted on its own after one of these events and it made a dump file saying nlddmkm.sys crashed. I was getting a gameinput error in event viewer but I've fixed this and the crashes are still happening. I performed a memory check on my ram and it showed no problems. I got a log record during one of the crashes and it looks like it stops recording all data from the GPU, the graphs just become a flat line. Relooking at the graphs I noticed that the integrated graphics have a fluctuating power demand/load while nothing is plugged into it? I've disabled the integrated graphics and the load is gone now so maybe that'll fix it.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2024
I tried several times unplugging pcie and power from the card and plugging back in and it did not solve it. Unplugging the 12VHPWR cable from the PSU and plugging it back in fixed my problem. If you have a C1200PSU from NZXT this is most likely your problem. Maybe one of the sense pins is bad or loose, I don't know.

js2

Jul 16, 2024
I've been dealing with this for months. It started very occasionally, maybe once a month or two. It's now a few times a day. This happens during idle and while gaming randomly.

Specs:
MBD: MSI MAG B650 WiFi​
CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D​
GPU: 4090 Suprim X​
PSU: NZXT C1200​
RAM: Corsair Vengeance​

I usually hear a disconnected noise and my audio sometimes keeps going, sometimes not. Event viewer doesn't show anything. I set up force crashing with a keyboard and one time it didn't make a dump file. The other time I do have a dump file but I don't really know what I'm looking for. One time the computer restarted on its own after one of these events and it made a dump file saying nlddmkm.sys crashed. I was getting a gameinput error in event viewer but I've fixed this and the crashes are still happening. I performed a memory check on my ram and it showed no problems. I got a log record during one of the crashes and it looks like it stops recording all data from the GPU, the graphs just become a flat line. Relooking at the graphs I noticed that the integrated graphics have a fluctuating power demand/load while nothing is plugged into it? I've disabled the integrated graphics and the load is gone now so maybe that'll fix it.
Dust down the PSU and don't let the fans spin while doing it. Commercial PSUs above 750watt are rarely any good. Better getting a server PSU in that class instead.