[SOLVED] Black screen before BIOS screen, possibly after Windows Update

Marc_55

Reputable
Mar 24, 2016
Hello,

Just started getting a black screen when I turn my PC on. I don't see anything (no motherboard logo, no bios, no windows etc.).
System makes noises and lights up as normal, no obvious problems with motherboard, GPU or PSU.

I've tried a few different things:
  • Switch the monitor - this wasn't the issue. New monitor has same issues and old monitor works on a different system
  • Remove CMOS battery - this didn't seem to have a visible effect
  • Remove GPU and use onboard graphics - machine did actually get into windows - hooray, I guess? At least this confirms that the HDD / MB are functional
  • Replugged in GPU - still no luck
I'm thinking that it's a software issue since I'm pretty sure there was a recent windows update before I started noticing this.

Anything I can check out in Safe Mode / in the BIOS using integrated graphics?

Thanks in advance

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400
Video Card: Nvidia GTX 980 (MSI)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Last edited:
Solution
Firstly here are my specs:

CPU Cooler Model: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...Performance-Liquid-CPU-Cooler/p/CW-9060021-WW

The problem

I've been having an issue since last week where my PC boots up with a black screen. I unplugged the GPU and via integrated graphics I was able to make my way into the BIOS and disable boot...

Marc_55

Reputable
Mar 24, 2016
List your hardware specifications please. If you tap the function key to get into the bios on startup, does the screen eventually show it?

Just added specs to my post. I haven't tried Fn to get into the BIOS, but I tried F8 and the screen was still black. I'll try tonight with Fn and see if that does it

Marc_55

Reputable
Mar 24, 2016
Tried the Function key during boot but still just a black screen.

Switched to integrated graphics to try removing the Nvidia driver but not exactly sure where to look to uninstall it.

I poked Device Manager and there was a warning that my CPU cooler driver needed an update so I did that (link below)

Still want to try removing the GPU driver before I insert the card again. When I search Add/ Remove programs for Nvidia all I get is the GeForce experience program, Physics driver and sound driver

CPU Cooler Model: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...Performance-Liquid-CPU-Cooler/p/CW-9060021-WW

Marc_55

Reputable
Mar 24, 2016
You stated you can get into the bios via integrated grphics. Is your bios on version 7984v1G ?

Yep, I'm on the latest version!

Tried some more things:
  • Set integrated graphics card to be first in priority in BIOS - No noticeable effect. Still won't show me anything if I have the card plugged in
  • Plugged the card into a different PCIe slot - same black screen
  • Switched out the card for an Nvidia Quadro K4000 (doesn't need additional power). Tried it in both slots, same black screen.

Is it safe to assume that the following can be ruled out:
  • Monitor / Cabling
  • PCIe slots
  • Motherboard
  • GPU
?

I'm led to believe that it's software. Do you think that's likely? Any more ideas?

Marc_55

Reputable
Mar 24, 2016
I also found this in Event Viewer - no idea what triggered this event... Looks to be from around the time I tried booting with the NVIDIA card installed (black screen)

Code:
System

- Provider

[ Name]  Microsoft-Windows-UserPnp

- UserData

- InstallDeviceID

DriverName nv_dispi.inf_amd64_bfe69934a6b764ef

DriverVersion 26.21.14.3064

DriverProvider NVIDIA

RebootOption false

UpgradeDevice false

IsDriverOEM true

InstallStatus 0x0

DriverDescription NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980

Marc_55

Reputable
Mar 24, 2016
Last update for tonight....

Installed DDU and it detected that I had 2 GTX 980 drivers installed, so I used it to remove both of them. Verified that only the integrated drivers were installed and tried the GTX 980 again... same black screen :(

Marc_55

Reputable
Mar 24, 2016
Been poking this a lot. After a combination of a few things I've made some (small) progress:

• Reflashed BIOS
  • Set Boot priority to integrated graphics
  • Plugged HDMI into integrated graphics
I can now see in the BIOS through the Motherboard inspector that it's detecting a card in the correct PCIe slot.

I assume this means that the slot is fine and the MB is fine.

I switched over the HDMI to the GPU and I'm still getting a black screen.

Switching it back and now in windows it shows some driver issues (see screenshots below). For reference this is the first time I've had another card appear in Hardware Manager since I started getting black screens. It's not detecting that it's an NVIDIA 980 though and the NVIDIA driver won't install because it says it can't find the hardware.

Any ideas?

View: https://imgur.com/ryu6KUL

View: https://imgur.com/z6cXked

View: https://imgur.com/Nki2dYp

Marc_55

Reputable
Mar 24, 2016
Firstly here are my specs:

The problem

I've been having an issue since last week where my PC boots up with a black screen. I unplugged the GPU and via integrated graphics I was able to make my way into the BIOS and disable boot priority on external cards.

Since then I've been able to make it into windows with the GPU installed, and I find in Device Manager that I have an Error 43: "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"

I've installed the official drivers from NVIDIA but almost as soon as it's installed, this error pops up again. I did have some luck one time with a slightly older NVIDIA driver, which detected the card fully - I was able to plug the HDMI out of the MB and into the GPU while windows was loaded and I saw stuff on screen. However, I left my PC for 10 mins and came back to a black screen.

Things I've done:
  • Ensured that the BIOS is up to date
  • Ensured that windows is up to date
  • Ensured that I have all supporting drivers for the MB (up to date)
  • Tested both sticks of RAM in both slots - they are detected individually, absolutely fine
  • I've tried a different GPU (Nvidia Quadro K4000), and it's experiencing the same symptoms / driver issues
  • Reset the CMOS
  • Checked that all cables are plugged in properly and that the card is seated correctly
  • Tried the card in both PCIe slots (the card is detected by the BIOS in the correct slot)
Any help appreciated!

Solution

Marc_55

Reputable
Mar 24, 2016
Started a new thread since this problem is now more isolated.