Feb 9, 2020
I recently realised my hdmi cable was connected to my motherboard and not my graphics card. I connected the hdmi cable to the graphics card instead, but now I have a blank screen problem.

There's no error messages or anything on screen, it's just blank. My computer is on, the lights on my keyboard and mouse is on. I know that my computer is connected to my monitor because my monitor won't snooze for being idle and I am able to change my monitor settings using the buttons on my monitor (changing refresh rate, picture settings etc), which I am not able to do when my monitor is not connected to anything. When I tried to connect the hdmi cable back to the motherboard, it just won't even detect anything and my monitor will snooze. I had not touched any components in my pc, all I did was just change where the hdmi cable was connected to.

The monitor and cable are working fine because I am able to get my laptop to display on the monitor when I connect it using the same cable.

I know my pc detects my graphics card because when I went to my device manager previously, my graphics card showed up, I was just not able to use it cause my hdmi cable was connected to my motherboard and not the graphics card.

I have additional information if it is relevant at all: my pc had not been used for 5 months prior to this and the monitor is new as well. However, I had been using this setup for the past few weeks with my hdmi cable connected to the motherboard and it was working fine besides the bad graphics. Prior to the 5 months of not using the pc, everything else was working perfectly fine, none of the components were tampered with except maybe the cpu cooler that came a bit loose when it was shipped.

Monitor: Samsung 24" 144Hz (LC24RG50FQNXZA)
Motherboard: ASUS Strix B250G Gaming
Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 1060 SC

Solution
  1. Make sure your BIOS version is compatible with the CPU generation you're trying to run in your motherboard, you can consult the manual or the manufacturer's website about this.
  2. Check if EVERY power cable is connected. Auxiliary power connectors included.
  3. Make sure the cable coming from your monitor is attached securely to the graphics card. Also make sure it is securely attached to the monitor itself.
  4. Make sure your PSU is powerful enough to power your complete system.
  5. Make sure your monitor works by testing it on a different computer.
  6. If you have both a dedicated GPU and an iGPU, try your monitor on both the outputs on the graphics cards as well as on the motherboard.
  7. Make sure all connectors and cables are...
Jan 15, 2020
  1. Make sure your BIOS version is compatible with the CPU generation you're trying to run in your motherboard, you can consult the manual or the manufacturer's website about this.
  2. Check if EVERY power cable is connected. Auxiliary power connectors included.
  3. Make sure the cable coming from your monitor is attached securely to the graphics card. Also make sure it is securely attached to the monitor itself.
  4. Make sure your PSU is powerful enough to power your complete system.
  5. Make sure your monitor works by testing it on a different computer.
  6. If you have both a dedicated GPU and an iGPU, try your monitor on both the outputs on the graphics cards as well as on the motherboard.
  7. Make sure all connectors and cables are plugged in securely, reseat if necessary.
  8. Make sure your RAM, CPU and GPU are plugged in securely, reseat if necessary.
  9. If the motherboard you're using has debug LEDs, check the error code and consult the motherboard manual to see what it means.
  10. If you have a debug speaker connected to the motherboard, note the beep sequence and consult the motherboard manual or this thread to see what it means.
  11. Try clearing your CMOS.
  12. Try booting your computer with only a motherboard, CPU and one stick of RAM attached (if you don't have an iGPU, plug in your GPU as well ;) ).
  13. Make sure your GPU works (if you have a dedicated one), try it in another computer.
  14. Make sure your RAM works, try it another computer.
  15. Make sure the RAM is compatible with your CPU and your motherboard.

Solution