Question Black Screen! GPU fans turn to 100% fan speed! (new gpu)

Jan 18, 2020
I got a new rtx 2070 super and when i play witcher 3 for a while my monitor turns off and my pc fans ramp up to 100% fan speed. If anyone can help pls write (i already tried posting on Linus site but no one helped)

My specs:
i5 4460 (i know im being bottlenecked)
500w 80plus standard (cooler master)
RTX 2070 super (from gigabyte windforce 3x oc)
16gb ddr3
Gigabyte b85m-d3h motherboard

So this has never happend to me before but after getting my new gpu my pc and games have been acting weird, i keep getting these crashes where my screen goes black and my gpu fan speed goes up to a 100% even thou my pc is not overheating at 40-50% fan speed it sits around 60-70c

Also when under loud my GPU starts being very very loud (not the fans) more like coil whine

Here is a vid for reference:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMHShogpN_8

Keep in mind that my coil whine is much louder then this.

Jan 18, 2020
Do you have another power supply to test with? Because this looks like one of those cases of insufficient psu.
Does your old gpu still work if you put it back in? What is the old one?

GTX 960 (yes my old GPU still works) (4gb)
Yes i did put in a 700w psu from cooler master (80+) and it seemed to have fixed some of my problems but the PSU i got had a weird rattle so i returned it. I should get a new one in a few days thou

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2020
The weird rattle is likely a loose fan, or worn fan bearings, since that's really the only moving part in a power supply.
It is not a loose fan or a worn fan bearing. The rattle happens when my gpu is under load and only then, even if i put my fan speed to 25 it still rattles (i tried stopping my GPU fans with my fingers just to be sure and its 100% not the fans). I recently exchanged my PSU from a 500 w to a 700 w PSU and it fixed some of my problems but i had to return my new PSU as it had some weird noise too. I honestly think its my PSU. But its weird cus i was able to game just fine on my 500 w PSU but now any game i start black screens immediately on start up even thou my Temps are good. I reinstalled my GPU drivers too but it did not help

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah 500w is not enough for the 2070S. The recommended is 650, you need the 700w PSU.
The recommendation is just a guideline, it's entirely possible to run with a lower wattage unit; it depends on the quality of the psu, and the power being pulled by the rest of the user's components.
Depending on the model, a 2070 Super pulls between 200-240w max. The I5-4460 ~100w max, and add 50w for everything else.
= 390w
Then add 20-30% for some extra headroom.
=507w

Problem is, Cooler Master's psus are pretty mediocre, and even the good ones they do have aren't that great compared to it's competitors.
Gigabyte's Windforce is like their lowest tier for their gpus though:
Windforce/Turbo > G1 Gaming > Aorus/Waterforce > Aorus Xtreme/Xtreme Waterforce

Some coil wine is expected though.
If trying different drivers doesn't fix it, then it's most certainly a hardware issue, between either the gpu or the power supply.
For the almost 3 years I've had this 1080Ti, I've only experienced coil whine once, and that was due to a bad driver - a driver hotfix fixed that.
And for the 5 years before that, I owned a 3570K + GTX 680; I never came across it at all.

Yes i did put in a 700w psu from cooler master (80+) and it seemed to have fixed some of my problems but the PSU i got had a weird rattle so i returned it.
The way you worded it made it appear that the psu was making noise, so I suspected the psu fan.

Randi Poling

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2014
I would hinestly refrain from using the PC until the new PSU arrives. Could be bad caps int he PSU and could be sending incorrect voltage tot he GPU. Wait for the new PSu, try that, and see how that works, maybe try a different PCI-e slot if that doesnt work.

hutchl

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2014
The recommendation is just a guideline, it's entirely possible to run with a lower wattage unit; it depends on the quality of the psu, and the power being pulled by the rest of the user's components.
Depending on the model, a 2070 Super pulls between 200-240w max. The I5-4460 ~100w max, and add 50w for everything else.
= 390w
Then add 20-30% for some extra headroom.
=507w

Problem is, Cooler Master's psus are pretty mediocre, and even the good ones they do have aren't that great compared to it's competitors.
Gigabyte's Windforce is like their lowest tier for their gpus though:
Windforce/Turbo > G1 Gaming > Aorus/Waterforce > Aorus Xtreme/Xtreme Waterforce

If trying different drivers doesn't fix it, then it's most certainly a hardware issue, between either the gpu or the power supply.
For the almost 3 years I've had this 1080Ti, I've only experienced coil whine once, and that was due to a bad driver - a driver hotfix fixed that.
And for the 5 years before that, I owned a 3570K + GTX 680; I never came across it at all.

The way you worded it made it appear that the psu was making noise, so I suspected the psu fan.
You are correct for sure. Ive experienced some whine in older AMD products. But thanks for guidance.

Jan 18, 2020
Update: Just today i have received my new PSU. The cooler master mwe 700w (https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/power-supplies/mwe-series/mwe-700-white-230v-v2/ ). I tried running games that would usually result in a black screen, max fan speed and insane coil whine. The new PSU seemed to have fixed all of those problems, i ran witcher 3 for 4 hours with max settings and everything seemed fine. So i guess the problem was the PSU all along. Thank you all for the support and help in fixing my PC problem.