Question Black screen (no signal) with an RX 5700 ?

OverclockVintage

Reputable
Sep 10, 2021
The GPU gives me black screen and a brrrr sound comes out of the speaker after somewhat half an hour of gaming or 1and a half hour of regular windows usage, i've tried turning of HDCP and also adjusting everything i found on the internet regarding software and nothing helps at all.

Another problem that is probably related is that the screen sometimes gets full of random colored pixels just like this:
https://i.sstatic.net/fpBgo.gif
Then i have to turn monitor to another output then back to hdmi and the gpu comes back to normal.
What chances is of the problem being on the GPU chip itself? What other components are most likely?

The computer is fine with another amd gpu so im am pretty sure it is the gpu, i also reinstalled windows and did everything possible to be sure it is the gpu.

More info: If i try to use one of those cables that one side is DisplaPort and another is HDMI the screen keeps blinking, and that is probably related.
Thanks if anyone can help me i appreciate.

OverclockVintage

Reputable
Sep 10, 2021
Ok Guys here it Goes:
The particular GPU is an Asrock challenger sold by the brand name Envinda with another heatsink.
My PC specs are:
An Asus P9X79 with a xeon 2697v2
Ram is Gskill ripjaws 1866CL9
Power supply is a Corsair CX600

OverclockVintage

Reputable
Sep 10, 2021
the CX series are some of their lowest quality units.
i wouldn't be surprised if it just cannot provide steady power for heavy usage.
I can't rule out the psu also because my other computer has a Gigabyte 550w bronze, so i won't even test on the other computer. But i really don't think it's the psu because of the particular symptoms, but if you are saying let's hope it's the psu and not the gpu since the gpu is more expensive.

Imperat0r

Proper
Apr 19, 2024
Hello.
That card is in fact a refurbished ASrock card, sold under the obscure name of Envinda.
In fact there were literally thousands of cards which were sold from Chinese market after the government banned the mining in China.
Of course they couldn't be sold as they were , so they were rebranded and refurbished by them even by changing the shroud (heatsink).
I suspect that you card have a hardware problem.

Reactions: OverclockVintage

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I can't rule out the psu also because my other computer has a Gigabyte 550w bronze, so i won't even test on the other computer. But i really don't think it's the psu because of the particular symptoms, but if you are saying let's hope it's the psu and not the gpu since the gpu is more expensive.

A black screen is one of the most common signs of a failing or inadequate PSU. The one you're using is cheap group-regulated junk that hasn't been made in a decade; there's zero reason to be running a GPU on this PSU ever. The Gigabyte PSU may be even worse, especially if it's as old as the Corsair.

Imperat0r

Proper
Apr 19, 2024
As @DSzymborski said earlier, those PSU's are not reliable.
Indeed.
So in order to eliminate all doubts, take your card and test in in a friend's computer.
If it functions properly there, then we will take small steps at a time with your computer in order to identify the problem.
If it doesn't function there also, then we identified the problem.

PS: keep in mind that your cards need 185W if it is normal 5700 and 225w if you have a 5700 XT

OverclockVintage

Reputable
Sep 10, 2021
Thanks for the help guys.
I used to run an rtx2060super on this same computer without any problems its just a bit lower tdp. Do you guys think it can still be the power supply?

Imperat0r

Proper
Apr 19, 2024
Well, yeah.
For sure picking a better PSU would improve your current that flows in your electronic devices.
Keep in mind that a low quality PSU will deliver sometimes less "juice" then recommended to your components.
It is possible to have huge fluctuations in the power that the PSU provides to your computer.
That means many fails for your computer parts.

OverclockVintage

Reputable
Sep 10, 2021
You know i decided to install the gpu in my other computer and it is running fine for more than two hours of heavy usage already.
Even the temperature was better i don't if it's just because the airflow on this computer is better but also the undervolt seemed to be giving better results into lowering the temperature. So i think i am gonna have to go for a better psu. Maybe this gpu is more demanding of good currents than the RTX2060S. Thanks guys, if the gpu comes back to give any problem i will post it here.

OverclockVintage

Reputable
Sep 10, 2021
Ok around four hours of heavy usage and no problem on the GPU!

The voltages of the CX600W on HWmonitor is showing
12v:11.9...
5v:4.9...
3.3v:2.9...
While the Gigabyte is showing all much better and closer voltages, so it should be the psu, im gonna get a better one. This Corsair was never a good power supply i guess. Is Silverstone a good brand, better than Gigabyte?