Question Black screen on startup, can't turn off PC with hard reboot?

Sep 16, 2019
Hi there!

Yesterday, my computer crashed and turnt itself off. I think this may have been connected with a family member turning on the light in the neighboring room.

I figured it might have been a weird power surge or something that got to the PSU, since I couldn't turn on the computer after that at all. I've obviously tested the socket and made sure that no fuse was blown.

I therefore assumed that the EVGA 850W I had in had reached it's limit and somehow died (I do have 2x 2080 so I might be pushing close to max capacity).

Strange since it's a good manufacturer, but things like this can happen. Luckily I recently bough a 1000W EVGA 3G PSU, so I replaced that.

Now, the computer boots - but it's just a black screen, and I am not able to power off the PC. Even when holding in the power button. I have to pull out the power, or turn off the PSU directly on the back of the case.

Now, I then though I might have a faulty new PSU, but I also tried with an old 650W from another working PC, and that was the same issue.

Is it possible my motherboard is defect? Any and all help is very appreciated since I'm at a loss and need to figure out what is wrong so I can potentially get parts send in for RMA.

Thank you so much for your time!

/Mads

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
What was the original exact model PSU EVGA? Unfortunately brand makes little difference, as EVGA make a ton of trash - also how old was it?

If it was a poor quality unit before, there's no guarantees the PSU hasn't blown and taken other components with it.

As a first port of call in the meantime I would cover everything in this guide and just ensure the basics have been covered completely: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/

Sep 16, 2019
Thank you so much for your answer!

The previous PSU was EVGA 850W G2 - and the new is EVGA 1000W G3

I have gone through the list and checked if anything fixed the problem, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be the problem.

I did notice a red light on the motherboard indicating something is wrong with the CPU. I did some troubleshooting and research, and since the new PSU seem to be working, and all cables are securely connected, it might be the motherboard that is faulty. Now thinking of it, when I building the computer two weeks ago, I did run into some issues with the BIOS not booting correctly, so maybe it's simply a faulty unit?

Thank you!

/Mads

Sep 16, 2019
I'll pull it apart tomorrow and have another look under the hood. It did work flawlessly for two weeks, but maybe a bend pin wouldn't affect anything right off the bat?

The system specs are as follows:

X570 AORUS PRO
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
2x 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16 Dual Kit
2x 2080 MSI AERO 8 GB
EVGA 1000W G3
Samsung SSD 250 GB
1000GB Crucial P1 NVMe M.2

Reactions: PC Tailor

TRENDING THREADS