[SOLVED] Black screen when attempting to install Win 10 on New PC Build

May 9, 2021
So, I have just built my very first PC and everything has gone pretty well... until I have come to the point of needing to install the OS...

I can get the PC to boot, fans spin, AIO cooling the CPU etc. etc. as well as being able to successfully get into the BIOS and apply changes while i'm in there.

Once I have made any changes however, I go to install Windows 10 from my USB drive and it just sits there on a black screen endlessly. When I say black screen, I mean that it exits the BIOS and sits there, doing nothing. I do not see a mouse pointer and it doesn't respond to keyboard inputs. I've tried just leaving it for an hour or more and still, nothing. The screen doesn't turn off either or tell me there is no input. I can see the backlight as well so, it's definitely on.

So, I can get into the BIOS so seems to be able to display graphics somewhat but, I can't even get a Windows logo, spinning wheel or anything once I am out of the BIOS.

I have tried flashing and updating the BIOS and firmware on the board - this is all up to date and ensured I had the latest from ASUS' website. I have also tried resetting my BIOS to default settings but no go. I've also tried a different USB drive/pen, USB slots on my board but still nothing.

I am absolutely stumped and lost at what else I can do. The only error I received when booting was the CPU fan not spinning (but that's expected because I have an AIO, not a fan on the CPU so, I have disabled this in the BIOS). My M2 drive is recognised with no issue, the USB drive I am using to try and install the OS is recognised and it tries to load from this drive. I can see the activity light blinking pretty much constantly after telling it to boot from the USB drive.

To create the bootable USB drive from Microsoft's website, I downloaded the relevant tool and then selected to create a bootable USB drive (rather than ISO) but, I could try the ISO version just in case. Unfortunately, I do not have any other devices that use M2 slots to test the drive but, this was brand new off of Amazon so, hoping it wouldn't be an unlucky defective unit at least.

System Build:
Intel i9 11900k
ASUS ROG Hero Maximus XIII
Crucial P2 M.2 2280 250 GB drive (installed into the M2_4 slot on MOBO)
32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 3000MHz DDR4

(No GPU - using inbuilt graphics in processor while waiting for GPU)

Any help, tips or advice would be grand! I'd love to get my new rig up and running! :giggle:

Solution
Are you sure the Windows 10 USB is made right? Try building it with RUFUS using UEFI. I like RUFUS because you may build Windows installation media for UEFI booting only. The Media Creation Tool is supposed to be BIOS/UEFI compatible. In my experience UEFI support is problematic. So, I use RUFUS.

Below is the instructions from the provided link. I just wanted to filter out all the extraneous crap.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-windows-10-usb-bootable-media-uefi-support

To create a bootable media using an existing Windows 10 ISO file, connect a flash drive of at least 8GB of space, and use these steps:

1. Open Rufus download page.
  2. Under the "Download" section, click the latest release (first link)...
Are you sure the Windows 10 USB is made right? Try building it with RUFUS using UEFI. I like RUFUS because you may build Windows installation media for UEFI booting only. The Media Creation Tool is supposed to be BIOS/UEFI compatible. In my experience UEFI support is problematic. So, I use RUFUS.

Below is the instructions from the provided link. I just wanted to filter out all the extraneous crap.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-windows-10-usb-bootable-media-uefi-support

To create a bootable media using an existing Windows 10 ISO file, connect a flash drive of at least 8GB of space, and use these steps:

1. Open Rufus download page.
  2. Under the "Download" section, click the latest release (first link) and save the file on the device.
    Source: Windows Central
  3. Double-click the Rufus-x.xx.exe file to launch the tool.
  4. Under the "Device" section, select the USB flash drive.
  5. Under the "Boot selection" section, click the Select button on the right side.
  6. Select the Windows 10 ISO file from the folder location.
  7. Click the Open button.
  8. Use the "Image option" drop-down menu and select the Standard Windows installation option.
  9. Use the "Partition scheme" drop-down menu and select the GPT option.
  10. Use the "Target system" drop-down menu and select the UEFI (non CSM) option.
  11. Under the "Show Advanced drive properties" section do not change the default settings.
  12. Under the "Volume label" field, confirm a name for the drive — for example, "win10_20h2_usb."
  13. In the "File system" and "Cluster size" options do not change the default settings.
  14. Click the Show advanced format options button.
  15. Check the Quick format option.
  16. Check the Create extended label and icon files option.
  17. Click the Start button.
  18. Click the OK button to confirm.
  19. Click the Close button.

If you need to download the ISO.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10-38547366-1dcb-7afd-1726-9eb222d72705

Solution