Question Black screen when playing games ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Stephen Whitson

Distinguished
May 22, 2013
Hi , I have been having this issue with my RTX 3080, where it will give me a black screen when playing demanding games eg metro exodus, residents evil village, rdr 2 etc. The screen goes black and the fans go up to 100% and I have to hard reset my pc to get it back to normal. I have did a clean instal of windows, driver clean with ddu and cleaned the pc and reseated ram and cables and gpu. I did some tests and found some interesting results. I can replicate the black screen 100% running heaven benchmarking tool.
Everything default on the gpu I can run the tool 30 mins no crash and temps are 70c

with everything default, but increase the power limit to 115(max) the bench will always crash at 74c

with an overclock on men and core and full power limit same again crash at 74c

With the same over clock but the power limit at 108 and a 30% fan to increase the temps faster I get no crash and temps at 80c

I have had a 1080 ti, rtx 2080 ti and a gtx 1060 , before I got this rtx 3080 and it never happened before. So it seems the power limit is the problem, but the temps need to be above 73c for the crash to happen any ideas. It’s a 750 watt good power supply which is 4 years old I think it’s a seasonic one they have a butterfly logo on it.
Specs are i7 8700k @ 4.9 and 16gig ram 3200. I play apex legends lots daily and never had a crash with it as the temps are only 60c while playing it , but full power limit and +25 core +400 men. I also changed the power cables to 3 separate 8 pins instead of daisy chaining and still the same.

Stephen Whitson

Distinguished
May 22, 2013
Update I’m still waiting for an answer from CCL about the RMA , but I managed to get a new founder’s edition RTX 3080 and guess what not one crash running all the same tests or black screens. So it was and is 100% the card , hope they still don’t try to fob me off. That some shady practices going on with CCL warning to all stay away from them.

Reactions: Schlachtwolf

Stephen Whitson

Distinguished
May 22, 2013
Update, after calling CCL they have confirmed the manufacturer has found it faulty and does not have a replacement , so i will be getting a refund and was told to keep an eye out for an email to confirm my payment details after a few days i still had not received the email , so called back to be told it takes a few days and wait till Friday, which is today. i called in the morning explaining that i had not received the email for the refund and was told it would be done by today , still not received the email 15 mins before they close i called back and got the same employee on the call and told me that it will take another 3-5 days again to process, i explained i was told this 3-5 days ago already, now i have to wait till Monday to start the process all over again. i do not trust the company as i have been lied to all through this RMA process and i spent an year trying to get it sorted, spent £100's of money and wasted hours of my time. i will update when and if i get my refund.

Reactions: Schlachtwolf

TRENDING THREADS