Question Black screen when starting computer, monitor does work

Joshua667

Reputable
Jan 11, 2017
Hello!

I am having this probleem for about 4 months now (I slowly stopped needing my PC so I didn't bother looking into it), but now I want to know what the problem is.
When I turn on my PC, it turns on just as normal. But the thing is, I get a black screen. No mouse cursor, no nothing. When I had this problem a few months ago, I would just press the 'reset' button that was on the PC, and after pressing it a few times it would just function like normal. But that doesn't work anymore.
I haven't changed anything in/on the PC. I was thinking this has got something to do with the graphics card, but I am not sure.

PS: If I have placed this in the wrong category; sorry!

Kindly provide PC specs.

-1. "Complete" system specs should ALWAYS be accompanied with any driver, hardware, or performance question. Do not post DXDiag reports as they contain a TON of useless information. Posting a DxDiag in place of a System Spec List tends to ward off potential members others from helping you.

Please supply the following system details/information:

(Complete System Specs)
-CPU make and model# (clock speed/voltage, type of cooler, and "Core" temperature @ idle and load)
-Motherboard make & model# (include Bios version if graphics card is not recognized or you are having stability issues)
-RAM (amount, clock speed, model#/link of kit, configuration)
-Graphics card(s) make and model# (clock speed, voltage if modified, Driver version and GPU temp both @ idle and load)
-Power supply make,model#, "AND" age (note if using 110V or 220V A/C input)
-HDD/SSD configuration (ie: Raid setup/ back up/ OS drive/etc..)
-Case/Chasis make,model# (fan make, model#, and configuration if having thermal issues)
-Operating System (If using Windows note Framework and service pack version)
-Monitor make, model#, and resolution (If model# is unknown list resolution and refresh rate)

*If the unit is a "laptop" or "All-in-one" system you must note the make and model# of the unit. Be sure you are ALWAYS using the OEM/manufacturer's Driver updates for the unit.

*If "Crashing":
-Note the nature of the "crash" in detail, as there are several definitions for the word "crash".

*If "performance" related issue:
-Note the "exact" point in which the performance reduction occurred (ie: After Windows update, After Bios update, After Driver update, After thermal system shutdown, After Hardware change/upgrade etc...)

*For diagnostic purposes please disable the following:
-Any/all Antivirus/ Anti-malware software
-Any/all OSD monitoring software
-ALL overclocks outside of factory spec

Last edited:

Joshua667

Reputable
Jan 11, 2017
Didn't think specs would matter per sé? Because it has been 4 months since even starting up the PC so I kinda forgot the specs. If I remember correctly, these are some of my specs, the rest I just don't know because I can't use my PC:
AMD Radeon HD 7800 series
AMD Phenom II x4 965 3.41 ghz
8gb RAM

Didn't think specs would matter per sé?

They do matter to some extent. Because without knowing what system you are rocking, it's hard to troubleshoot any issue, at least for me. I can only speak for myself though. Anyways, never mind all this, but which PSU are you using ? How old is your Video card ?

Can you check the GPU on some system ? Most likely there is some issue with your hardware. Btw, use this tool, SPECCY to gather some info of your PC. You can also save and upload snapshots.

https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy