[SOLVED] Black screen while benchmarking please help!!!

xrafael95x

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2015
Hi guys, i'm so so so sad because with the little money i had i built a pc and now its not working. I have to give every details so you guys can help me, i built my rig and I was using an 800w crappy PSU, it only had a 6 pin GPU and i don't know why my GPU could work with it, even that it need a 8 pin connector, well finaly i burned the PSU because I guess it couldn't handle that power, today i got a cx 750w used, i installed and while running heaven i get a black screen and i have to turn off my pc, and turn it on, and i get video every works flawlessly.

My question is could the PSU be bad? could the GPU or mobo been compromised by the crappy PSU?

One thing that is very confusing the black screen is always in the same part of the benckmark, i tried running tomb raider and same probem starting the benchmark

Before this PSU the crappy psu could run the games and benchmarks, now with this need one i can't, but this Psu doesn't seem bad,i see al the capacitors or at least what i can see and it seems all good, it hasn't never been opened.

I also messed with the Inspectre app to boost the perform of my old CPU but with or without, the pc does the same while running the benchmark i didn't have this app before and i don't tested with the old psu

Systems spec:
Xeon e3 1230
8gb ram
Asrock h61 vg3
MSI gaming x rx 580 4gb
Corsair cx 750w

Update: i just installed the new amd drivers, still same problem, i even put the new psu to work with the 6 pin and not results

Last edited:
Solution
I couldn't try the GPU in another pc, but I think the problem is the PSU, after tons of reading and asking question in AMD forum, there was a guy with a solution to this problem, he had the problem just like me with the same PSU, so to solve this I need to change the PSU, but I can use the system fine (play games run benchmarks, etc)if I lower the clocks, i just wanted to update so if someone has the same problem just down the clocks and do not undervolt.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
My question is could the PSU be bad?
Potentially, is it the 2017 platform or older? (Does it have a green label or grey label?)

could the GPU or mobo been compromised by the crappy PSU?
Absolutely possible, this happens all the time, and is a common problem with poor quality PSUs, when they go, they have a notorious habit of damaging other components too.

and i get video every works flawlessly.
Do you mean it works perfectly when you're not running heaven?

Is the issue repeating?

xrafael95x

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2015
Potentially, is it the 2017 platform or older? (Does it have a green label or grey label?)
Yes grey label.

Do you mean it works perfectly when you're not running heaven?

Is the issue repeating?
exactly im using the pc right now, oh and i tried playing tomb raider and it worked but i had to run it in the default clock and with 6 pin only, and also i noticed the clock couldnt be stable at 1380mhz

xrafael95x

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2015
Update when this happen the gpu Fans goes to the max and also my hdd where windows is installed says this in Crystaldiskinfo:

Risk [C5] N° numbers of sector pending: 8
Risk:[C5] N° numbers of sector no correctable: 8

Last edited:

xrafael95x

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2015
Never run a GPU without plugging all its power cables.
Try another GPU and see if issue persists.
Plug ALL power cables into the GPU this time.

I don't have any other gpu to try, another weird thing happen, i got the gpu out clean the PCI slot, and clean the GPU PCI board and change the PCI cable (this PSU has 2 PCI express cables with two 8 pin connectos), I ran the benchmark and it past the scene where it goes black, all good i quit the benchmark. Now i try to use my MSI afterburner setup, the screen goes black again, in the same scene, shut down and turn on i try the default setting the screen goes black in the second scene,i seriously dont know what to do, i'm so depressed because i dont have money to change anything, the guy who sold me the psu is telling me that he can refund me but i think i should try the gpu in another system with another psu and see what happen but its hard to find someone willing to help and with the necessary equipment, such as a good psu and cpu to try my gpu

Last edited:
I don't have any other gpu to try, another weird thing happen, i got the gpu out clean the PCI slot, and clean the GPU PCI board and change the PCI cable (this PSU has 2 PCI express cables with two 8 pin connectos), I ran the benchmark and it past the scene where it goes black, all good i quit the benchmark. Now i try to use my MSI afterburner setup, the screen goes black again, in the same scene, shut down and turn on i try the default setting the screen goes black in the second scene,i seriously dont know what to do, i'm so depressed because i dont have money to change anything, the guy who sold me the psu is telling me that he can refund me but i think i should try the gpu in another system with another psu and see what happen but its hard to find someone willing to help and with the necessary equipment, such as a good psu and cpu to try my gpu
Are you overclocking when it goes black?

xrafael95x

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2015
Are you overclocking when it goes black?
No, i have try with and without OC, just taht how it works after cleaning it and changing the power cables, i thought the problem was fixed so i wanted to try the OC and it failed, then with the default settings i ran it again and screen goes black in the scene 2 or 3

No, i have try with and without OC, just taht how it works after cleaning it and changing the power cables, i thought the problem was fixed so i wanted to try the OC and it failed, then with the default settings i ran it again and screen goes black in the scene 2 or 3
If you plugged the two power cables to the GPU then it might be damaged.
Try lowering the core and memory clocks under the base clocks.

xrafael95x

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2015
Update: I wont say its solved cuz i still have to test more things but I DDU'ed installed old drivers like from june 2019, and ATM, i could pass the part where the screen goes black on heaven, i could benchmark tomb raider ,, before i could play but couldn't benchmark, i could play rainbow six siege, before black screen will occur opening the game, i still have to try Oc'ing but im afraid of doing it

xrafael95x

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2015
Update: I did the benchmark completly and worked flawessly, i played like 2 hours all good, but i tried to OC, black screen, and also noticed taht my gpu is not riunning at 1380mhz, i goes down and up but never reach the 1380, its normal?