[SOLVED] Black screen while benchmarking please help!!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

xrafael95x

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2015
Hi guys, i'm so so so sad because with the little money i had i built a pc and now its not working. I have to give every details so you guys can help me, i built my rig and I was using an 800w crappy PSU, it only had a 6 pin GPU and i don't know why my GPU could work with it, even that it need a 8 pin connector, well finaly i burned the PSU because I guess it couldn't handle that power, today i got a cx 750w used, i installed and while running heaven i get a black screen and i have to turn off my pc, and turn it on, and i get video every works flawlessly.

My question is could the PSU be bad? could the GPU or mobo been compromised by the crappy PSU?

One thing that is very confusing the black screen is always in the same part of the benckmark, i tried running tomb raider and same probem starting the benchmark

Before this PSU the crappy psu could run the games and benchmarks, now with this need one i can't, but this Psu doesn't seem bad,i see al the capacitors or at least what i can see and it seems all good, it hasn't never been opened.

I also messed with the Inspectre app to boost the perform of my old CPU but with or without, the pc does the same while running the benchmark i didn't have this app before and i don't tested with the old psu

Systems spec:
Xeon e3 1230
8gb ram
Asrock h61 vg3
MSI gaming x rx 580 4gb
Corsair cx 750w

Update: i just installed the new amd drivers, still same problem, i even put the new psu to work with the 6 pin and not results

Last edited:
Solution
I couldn't try the GPU in another pc, but I think the problem is the PSU, after tons of reading and asking question in AMD forum, there was a guy with a solution to this problem, he had the problem just like me with the same PSU, so to solve this I need to change the PSU, but I can use the system fine (play games run benchmarks, etc)if I lower the clocks, i just wanted to update so if someone has the same problem just down the clocks and do not undervolt.

xrafael95x

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2015
Update: I installed a new windows in another HDD I have lying around to make a test if was something software related without success, after the failed attempt I proceed to change my thermal paste of my GPU, after doing so, I could play rainbow six siege which didn't want to work yesterday, after thinking it was all good, I decided to Oc to 1400mhz, just 20mhz more than stock clock (1380mhz) I ran uniengine benchmark and worked great, then thinking was all solved, with the same overclock tried to run rainbow six, black screen again, I know I have to test the GPU in another system but god this is crazy, what is happening sometimes i think its the gpu but i'm not pretty sure that it could been damaged by crappy PSU, sometimes i think is the new PSU but would be weird because it's doest seem bad.

Forgot to say, i play tomb raider for 3 hours almost 4, and all good

Last edited:

xrafael95x

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2015
I couldn't try the GPU in another pc, but I think the problem is the PSU, after tons of reading and asking question in AMD forum, there was a guy with a solution to this problem, he had the problem just like me with the same PSU, so to solve this I need to change the PSU, but I can use the system fine (play games run benchmarks, etc)if I lower the clocks, i just wanted to update so if someone has the same problem just down the clocks and do not undervolt.

Solution