Question Black Screen while gaming - basically built a new PC and nothing changed

Jan 25, 2021
So, I've posted this on reddit already but didn't get much help, sorry if this is a problem around here but I am desperate.

I had:
Z170-A
i5 6600k
2x8 GB Kingston HyperX 2400 Mhz RAM
R9 380 4 GB
1Tb Seagate
650W FSP PSU

I changed to (one by one)
Z390P
i7 9700k
2x8 GB Kingston HyperX 2400 Mhz RAM - tested it multipe times with windows memtest and mem86 too, all passed with 0 error
RX 580 8 GB
Same winchester (tested it multiple times with Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows)
650 W Cooler Master Bronze

So, I started to get black screen while gaming (or during GPU stresstest). After going black, the screen had a message "NO VGA SIGNAL". For a few minutes sounds would still play, I could talk on discord, but after that it froze and the PC restarted.

• I thought it was a GPU problem, so I swapped my R9 380 for a (brand new) RX580. My monitor is a bit old, so I had to buy an adapter to connect my VGA plug to my HDMI slot in my new GPU.
  • (I also bought a new case with 2 more fans I wanted for a long time but did not do it)
  • Changing the GPU (and chassis+fans) did not solve the problem, and nothing changed.
  • So I guessed it was a PSU problem, and I swapped my old 600W for a (brand new) Cooler Master 650W Bronze. Installed it, used the new PSU's own cable, and it did not solve the problem.
  • The next suspect was RAM, so I tested them 6 times, it did not find any problem, so I left that be.
  • Tried to install the GPU in another PCI slot. The PC did not start at all, so I guessed it was the motherboard which was fcking with me the whole time! Since I couldn't buy any motherboard what supported my good ol' I5 6600k I bought a (brand new) Z390P with an i7 9700k. The problem is still not solved.
  • I formatted the winchester (again) installed win10 (again) updated windows, installed GPU driver, motherboard chipset, updated BIOS, and still, my problem lives on.
Heat is around 48-50°C (I have 4 vents, plus the ones on the GPU and CPU)
I thought maybe the plug is an old one, so I plugged it in another one, nothing changed. Tried my girlfriend's screen, and it happened again. I laughed like a maniac and I plugged our TV on it (with HDMI) and it worked.
On the TV the problem does not exist, I can play for hours, and nothing is wrong. My girlfriend's PC has the same type of screen and same type of GPU. My PC crashes with both monitors, hers runs fine with both monitors.
I have no heat problems, the maximum heat was around 50-55°C when I got the crash. I have not overclocked anything yet, and I only OC'd the previous CPU for 11%.

I am getting crazy, please, someone, help!

Last edited:
So, I've posted this on reddit already but didn't get much help, sorry if this is a problem around here but I am desperate.

I had:
Z170-A
i5 6600k
2x8 GB Kingston HyperX 2400 Mhz RAM
R9 380 4 GB
1Tb Seagate
650W FSP PSU

I changed to (one by one)
Z390P
i7 9700k
2x8 GB Kingston HyperX 2400 Mhz RAM - tested it multipe times with windows memtest and mem86 too, all passed with 0 error
RX 580 8 GB
Same winchester (tested it multiple times with Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows)
650 W Cooler Master Bronze

So, I started to get black screen while gaming (or during GPU stresstest). After going black, the screen had a message "NO VGA SIGNAL". For a few minutes sounds would still play, I could talk on discord, but after that it froze and the PC restarted.

• I thought it was a GPU problem, so I swapped my R9 380 for a (brand new) RX580. My monitor is a bit old, so I had to buy an adapter to connect my VGA plug to my HDMI slot in my new GPU.
  • (I also bought a new case with 2 more fans I wanted for a long time but did not do it)
  • Changing the GPU (and chassis+fans) did not solve the problem, and nothing changed.
  • So I guessed it was a PSU problem, and I swapped my old 600W for a (brand new) Cooler Master 650W Bronze. Installed it, used the new PSU's own cable, and it did not solve the problem.
  • The next suspect was RAM, so I tested them 6 times, it did not find any problem, so I left that be.
  • Tried to install the GPU in another PCI slot. The PC did not start at all, so I guessed it was the motherboard which was fcking with me the whole time! Since I couldn't buy any motherboard what supported my good ol' I5 6600k I bought a (brand new) Z390P with an i7 9700k. The problem is still not solved.
  • I formatted the winchester (again) installed win10 (again) updated windows, installed GPU driver, motherboard chipset, updated BIOS, and still, my problem lives on.
Heat is around 48-50°C (I have 4 vents, plus the ones on the GPU and CPU)
I thought maybe the plug is an old one, so I plugged it in another one, nothing changed. Tried my girlfriend's screen, and it happened again. I laughed like a maniac and I plugged our TV on it (with HDMI) and it worked.
On the TV the problem does not exist, I can play for hours, and nothing is wrong. My girlfriend's PC has the same type of screen and same type of GPU. My PC crashes with both monitors, hers runs fine with both monitors.
I have no heat problems, the maximum heat was around 50-55°C when I got the crash. I have not overclocked anything yet, and I only OC'd the previous CPU for 11%.

I am getting crazy, please, someone, help!

Ouch! This sort of problem is really annoying...

So the fact your machine works fine on the TV over HDMI suggests the issue is related specifically to the screen / gpu / cable config you are using. It's strange that it works on your GF's machine - you mention that the screen and GPU are 'the same' - is that exactly the same, or are they similar models (for example two different brands or models of RX 580 gpu?).... what are the specs of the monitor and what connectors does it support, how is it hooked up to the gpu? Have you tried the cable / adaptors your GF is using to connect to the screen on your setup?

Final thought- when you connected up to the TV, did you move the machine to the TV? It's just a thought but if the machine was plugged into a different mains outlet that might be something to do with it - a quick test for that would be hook up the machine with the monitor in that room at try again. I've heard of issues cropping up due to interference in the mains supply before (in which case running the machine via a UPS + surge protector can help - although if that is the case you might want to get an electrician to look into it).

Jan 25, 2021
Ouch! This sort of problem is really annoying...

So the fact your machine works fine on the TV over HDMI suggests the issue is related specifically to the screen / gpu / cable config you are using. It's strange that it works on your GF's machine - you mention that the screen and GPU are 'the same' - is that exactly the same, or are they similar models (for example two different brands or models of RX 580 gpu?).... what are the specs of the monitor and what connectors does it support, how is it hooked up to the gpu? Have you tried the cable / adaptors your GF is using to connect to the screen on your setup?

Final thought- when you connected up to the TV, did you move the machine to the TV? It's just a thought but if the machine was plugged into a different mains outlet that might be something to do with it - a quick test for that would be hook up the machine with the monitor in that room at try again. I've heard of issues cropping up due to interference in the mains supply before (in which case running the machine via a UPS + surge protector can help - although if that is the case you might want to get an electrician to look into it).

Hey,

I use FXF RX 580, she has an MSI RX580 but other than that, they are the same. Both monitors are connected with adapters, mine VGA-HDMI, hers VGA-DVI, I tried changing them, with no positive outcome.
When I plugged in the TV I did not move anything, just plugged a cable over from my GF's PC because normally we use hers to watch movies on, so I did not use other power outlets.

It is getting on my nerves, if it is HDMI related, why did it occur with the R9 380 which was used with VGA-DVI? If it is the GPU, why does it work with the TV?

Hey,

I use FXF RX 580, she has an MSI RX580 but other than that, they are the same. Both monitors are connected with adapters, mine VGA-HDMI, hers VGA-DVI, I tried changing them, with no positive outcome.
When I plugged in the TV I did not move anything, just plugged a cable over from my GF's PC because normally we use hers to watch movies on, so I did not use other power outlets.

It is getting on my nerves, if it is HDMI related, why did it occur with the R9 380 which was used with VGA-DVI? If it is the GPU, why does it work with the TV?

It's a bit of a long shot but you could try her RX580 in your machine and see if that card still behaves with the monitor? Is this something that happens with all games or just specific titles? One other thought, are there any other minor differences between the machines, for example accessories like headsets, game controllers and such? I have come across issues in the past with some titles running into problems when a bluetooth headset is connected to the machine, also overlay software can cause issues so it's worth trying to disable Steam or Xbox overlay options.

Jan 25, 2021
It's a bit of a long shot but you could try her RX580 in your machine and see if that card still behaves with the monitor? Is this something that happens with all games or just specific titles? One other thought, are there any other minor differences between the machines, for example accessories like headsets, game controllers and such? I have come across issues in the past with some titles running into problems when a bluetooth headset is connected to the machine, also overlay software can cause issues so it's worth trying to disable Steam or Xbox overlay options.

My brother in law just left, he brought his HDMI monitor and we tried it. It was that the whole time. Hell!

Reactions: cdrkf