Question Black screen with AMD RX 6600 if using anything but Windows basic display driver ?

Feb 17, 2024
Hi, Im a newer member here and I been looking through multiple posts and questions here trying to solve a particular issue I have with my GPU and its drivers.

Here is my hardware:
CPU: AMD 3600x
Motherboard: asrock b550 itx/ac
GPU: power cooler rx 6600 fighter
Ram: Kingston Fury(non RGB) black. 2x8GB
XMP profile #1 at 3200mhz
PSU: EVGA supernova 650 SFX GM(Brand new, was given a new one thanks to evga warranty)
Storage: Western digital blue, m.2 1TB(forgot the model)
Windows 10 home

Using a temporary pcie 3 Riser due to unique itx case, but the bios is in pcie 3 mode.

Now onto the problem: I have done multiple attempts at clearing out drivers and reinstalling both adrenaline and pro edition only to be greeted with a black screen after BIOS boot and during the actual driver install process, and instant black screen if Windows even tries to update the basic display adapter as well. I reinstalled windows entirely and tried to cmos clear neither seems to particularly work

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Using a temporary pcie 3 Riser due to unique itx case, but the bios is in pcie 3 mode.
I would suggest having the system innards breadboarded and see if the issue persists without the PCIe riser cable. Often times that's what causes issues.

BIOS version for your motherboard?

Use DDU to remove all GPU driers(Intel, Nvidia and AMD), then manually reinstall with the latest drivers sourced from ADMs support site in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Reactions: stonecarver
Feb 17, 2024

I would suggest having the system innards breadboarded and see if the issue persists without the PCIe riser cable. Often times that's what causes issues.

Use DDU to remove all GPU driers(Intel, Nvidia and AMD), then manually reinstall with the latest drivers sourced from ADMs support site in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.
The bios version currently is the latest one I installed 4-5 days ago

Ill breadboard it and see if anything changes without the riser! And run the driver as administrator

Feb 17, 2024
Have you tried using third-parties driver such as Nimez?
I never tried third party drivers before.

Alright I have got the full rig fully out of the case and breadboarded, The manual driver install actually seemed to nearly finished completing at 91% before fully black screening even with administrator.