Black screen with cursor after login - no shell?

agio

Honorable
Sep 9, 2012
Hey guys, fiance just got a new laptop yesterday and we've been experiencing a problem when trying to log in. After we put in the password, it gives us a black screen with a cursor for about 10-15mins each time.

After googling it, I noticed a lot of people have fixed it by control-alt-deleting, running file, typing in regedit.exe, then eventually making your way to the winlogon folder where you can edit the shell file. Unfortunately, we don't have that shell file so we can't edit it..

Any other ideas? The HP laptop is brand new. I've already updated the graphic drivers and updated windows.

Thank you so much.

Solution
I had the same issue with my new HP. After an HP update and a reboot the screen would go black for about 5 minutes or so, the mouse still moveable but no desktop. After 5 minutes the desktop would appear. I found a work around solution at the HP support site. This is direct from one of their support people:

In the run box type msconfig.

Go to Services tab and disable App Readiness. (uncheck all except App Readiness and then tap disable button)
**Click Accept

Essentially you want to disable the 'App Readiness' process.

This fixed it for me but it seems to be either a MS Windows update issue or an HP Update issue, I don't know which. It's just a work around because if you want to download new software or apps you may need...

aurora700

Prominent
Sep 15, 2017
I had the same issue with my new HP. After an HP update and a reboot the screen would go black for about 5 minutes or so, the mouse still moveable but no desktop. After 5 minutes the desktop would appear. I found a work around solution at the HP support site. This is direct from one of their support people:

In the run box type msconfig.

Go to Services tab and disable App Readiness. (uncheck all except App Readiness and then tap disable button)
**Click Accept

Essentially you want to disable the 'App Readiness' process.

This fixed it for me but it seems to be either a MS Windows update issue or an HP Update issue, I don't know which. It's just a work around because if you want to download new software or apps you may need to re-enable the process again, endure the black screen time and then do your download/install.

Solution