black screen with cursor only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiizawa

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013
After coming in from the outside my computer was not displaying anything and was unresponsive so I turned it off and on. I got no display at all. I removed the graphics card and plugged the monitor into the motherboard. Now I get a boot up screen with the motherboard splash art and ability to enter the bios. I start up windows normally, safe mode, and. All the other modes to run windows at all of them bring me to a black screen with a cursor in the middle. I am unable to produce anything from this screen but move the mouse around. I got my windows 7 installation disk out and tried to run a repair with no luck. I tried to system restore but claims there are no restores it can find. So I'm stuck here unable to load into any windows function and it looks like all the windows tools are not working properly. Anyone know a fix to this? Thank you and all help is appreciated.

Solution
How to fix computer (windows 7) that goes into an unresponsive black screen after start-up (with moving cursor)?

okay, i just had that problem as well. nothing works other than the cursor/pointer/mouse on a blank black screen. i did everything posted online to fix the problem (the f8, safe mode thingy and everything). nothing worked though so i tried experimenting and clicking stuffs on the keyboard. the miraculous thing happened. after clicking and doing almost nothing to the computer, something worked. it totally did work in my case so i hoped it works with yours as well. it's not the expert/computer geek solution but it solved my problem anyway so here it is...

1) press shift several times until the sticky keys window appears
2)...

Aiizawa

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013

No luck. I am able see the files on the drive but it is unable to boot fully. It gets to a black screen with a cursor and gets stuck there. This looks like a windows problem I think. Its weird when I did system repair it could not find any previous states and I know for sure I have some on there.

Aiizawa

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013

I get the same black screen with cursor. Anytime I try to boot the pc into windows it stops at a black screen with a cursor.

Aiizawa

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013
No luck.. After extensive research I found that most people had to wipe and reinstall windows. Backed up my hard drive through bootable linux system and just transferred the data to my storage drive. Thank you so much for your help. It helped me a lot in my researching.

ejlochie

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
How to fix computer (windows 7) that goes into an unresponsive black screen after start-up (with moving cursor)?

okay, i just had that problem as well. nothing works other than the cursor/pointer/mouse on a blank black screen. i did everything posted online to fix the problem (the f8, safe mode thingy and everything). nothing worked though so i tried experimenting and clicking stuffs on the keyboard. the miraculous thing happened. after clicking and doing almost nothing to the computer, something worked. it totally did work in my case so i hoped it works with yours as well. it's not the expert/computer geek solution but it solved my problem anyway so here it is...

1) press shift several times until the sticky keys window appears
2) click the link that'll lead to ease of access center
3) click cancel on the the bottom right corner of the set up sticky keys window
4) click control panel on the upper left corner (beside the make your computer easier to use title)
5) on the computer settings menu choose the recovery icon (make sure that the view is by either large or small icons for easier access)
6) click open system restore
7) click next on the bottom right corner until the button finish appears, then click it. (just follow everything the window says that will lead you to recovering your previous system in a certain time)
8) let it do its job and wait until your computer restarts

Solution

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Might try CTRL - ALT-DEL combo, if Task manager comes up, NEW TASK and type in EXPLORER if desktop appears then go to all programs>accessories>command prompt and run as Adminitrators, when window opens run SFC /SCANNOW this is System File Check

tmilewski

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014
You are awesome!!! Your fix didn't work at first, but after I tried a few unsuccessful system recoveries and rebooting one more time, I tried your sticky key thing and it worked!!! Thanks for posting this!

Reggaesmurf

Reputable
Sep 9, 2014
I'm truly mazed that something like this worked for you. I'm corrently experiencing the same problem, but i can't find the link that leads to the ease of acces-centre. I do get the sticky keys prompt but I only get the option to choose Yes or NO. Can anyone point out where this link should be?

Goody88

Reputable
Dec 8, 2014

Yes I have the same problem, just a yes or no option, no link to anything

ImJenkins

Distinguished
May 18, 2014

It should say "Go to the Ease of Access Center to disable the keyboard shortcut".

walldoo99

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013
I was doing a reinstall of the OS by remote access for a friends 12yr old sons laptop. I was waiting for it to do updates and was doing something here, when I got back the kid had got on and downloaded some evil crap. I tried to do a simple restore to last update but got the black screen and cursor. We ended up having to start over with another fresh install which is not fun after you already did 200 updates. I couldn't get anything else to come up, no task mgr, control panel , nothing but the #$%^& cursor. If it had been my son, I would have made him sit there and watch the updates install. So if all else fails restore to factory works.

Lance Loyola

Reputable
Dec 28, 2014

It keeps on saying application error every time I open the explorer please helppppp

bobrocks

Reputable
Jan 23, 2015

Press the Windows key + U, see if that works.

jman3398

Reputable
Jan 28, 2015
You Sir... are a genius <3 <3 <3 THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

bree13

Reputable
Jan 30, 2015

Ok so my cousin was downloafing games and i guess one of them had a virus so I went through this whole process but when my computer turned back on it was still black with cursor I don't have the windows 7 install disk and have so many things that were not backed including irreplaceable pictures of my 7 month old baby girl up please please help

Nah01

Reputable
Feb 1, 2015
Heres one that I totally forgot but this is your last resort. I cannot guarantee that all you're information will still be there. You might have to start some stuff over. If the recovery thing does not work (Only for the ones who have no clue what they're doing)

1. Press shift multiple times
2. click on 'Go to the ease' hyperlink
3. in the box it will say 'Search Control Panel' write user
4. Click Add or remove user and open the guest.
5. it will start downloading a new template.
So now when you log in go on the guess one instead of the corrupt one.

yojimbo22

Reputable
Feb 3, 2015
So I found that on my PC I was able to get to the task manager (ctrl+alt+delete then selecting task manager from the options). from there I killed the process Run Once Wrapper (or something like that...can't remember the exact name, but it had "run once" in the name) immediately after killing that process the computer finished booting normally. I then went on to run Norton virus scanner and clean up the garbage that had infected the computer.

Hope this helps someone else!

Fajar Sekhmetra

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015

Your solution is helping me indeed!! Thankyou! :)

Pardeep veeru

Reputable
Feb 9, 2015

IT worked for me

bob000

Reputable
Mar 15, 2015

For me there is no control panel button to click on in the upper left hand corner. I get the sticky keys box to appear, hit windows + u and the ease of access box appears but when I hit cancel the ease of access box disappears and all that's left is the sticky key box. What should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.