Question Blackscreen and RAM debug light changed to VGA debug light - - - - Is it gone for good ?

Apr 30, 2024
Specs:
Mobo: Aorus B450 Pro
GPU: Aorus Radeon Rx 580
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
2x8 Gb G.Skill Aegis DDR4

Hello everyone,
I broke the PC of my Girlfriend XD
I wanted to update the Bios from f4 to f65.
And I did so step by step because a user here had problems with the same mainboard jumping directly to the latest Version. So I did f4-f32-f40-f61-f65.
I updated the bios via App Center, since it worked perfectly fine for me before.

The first time I tried everything went well till f61 where I had a black screen. After a while I shut the pc down and started him again and somehow it worked again. It was now back to f4 so I guess something went wrong and it loaded the backup Bios.
So I tried again and this time f61 was not a problem so I went and updated to f65 and I got black screen again. This time restarting didn’t change anything.

So at the beginning the CPU debug light was on but then changed to vga. I took the GPU out and put it back in.Since everything worked fine before the bios update I was convinced it must be the main bios broke and I need to get the backup to work. So I shorted the CMOS_pins and after this didn’t work I also took the CMOS Battery out and after few minutes put it back in.

It does get through the POST and at first I think it made 1long and 2 short beeps wich I thought makes sense since the VGA debug light is on but then it was 1long and 3 short beeps and after I took the cmos battery out and put it back in it was only one short beep. So I took the ram out and put it back in but it didn’t help tho same debug light same BIOS Soundsignal.

At this point I have no clue what to do next. I will tried every single RAM slot but it didn’t help and I don’t know why the BIOS Soundsignal changed.

To sum it up: right now when I start the PC the fans and RGB go on, the RAM debug light is on sometimes jumping to CPU and then back to RAM after almost 1minute when the Aorus sign lights up and it jumps to VGA and stays there and it makes 1 short beep. It also put out some signal since my monitors seem to get input…it’s just black tho.

did you connect the GPU to the monitor and not the motherboard?
to use the backup bios:
1. power off/disconnect power cable of the PSU and press the power button for about 10seconds
2. power on the PSU and press the power button till the PC shuts off completely again
3. press the power button, PC boots up and the backup BIOS will copy itself to the main chip and reboots until done automatically

cmos jumper is not set while trying to boot?

don´t use windows tools to update the BIOS

Apr 30, 2024
to use the backup bios:
1. power off/disconnect power cable of the PSU and press the power button for about 10seconds
2. power on the PSU and press the power button till the PC shuts off completely again
3. press the power button, PC boots up and the backup BIOS will copy itself to the main chip and reboots until done automatically

The GPU is fully connected like always.
If ur second question is if I short the cmos pins while trying to boot, no. I shorted them with psu unplugged. But I will try ur solution.

Apr 30, 2024
to use the backup bios:

So after unplugging and pressing the power button for 10 seconds I replugged it and pressed the power button for minutes. During this time the fans had high rpm and the debug light was permanently on CPU. After 3-5 minutes I let go of the power button and it VGA started glowing and the short beep came. I pressed the power Button again for a long time and it shoutdown.

I turned it back on and the only difference was instead of 1 minute it took just a few seconds for the short beep and the VGA debug light.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 30, 2024
to trigger the cmos to use the backup BIOS you might need to power on and off several times
Do You mean instantly? Turning it on and instantly off and that a few times or should I let him try to boot and shutdown after the beep and no image and that multiple times back to back. If doing back to back doesn’t Mather…i have started and shut down a lot of times since yesterday.