Help! I was trying to install a downloaded program
(Walmart's digital music store), and when I rebooted, the
desktop came up completely empty. All that's there is the
photo I had for the background. Right clicking does
nothing, and the windows key does nothing. All I can do
is use ctrl-alt-del to bring up the task manager to select
programs to run. How can I get my desktop icons and the
bar at the bottom of the screen back? Thanks!

Mohan

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2004

hi kathy,
apart from performing a system restore which is an excellent idea, pl check
whether this software is compatible with windows xp.
sometimes incompatible software can also crash the computer
good luck

"Kathy" wrote:

> Help! I was trying to install a downloaded program
> (Walmart's digital music store), and when I rebooted, the
> desktop came up completely empty. All that's there is the
> photo I had for the background. Right clicking does
> nothing, and the windows key does nothing. All I can do
> is use ctrl-alt-del to bring up the task manager to select
> programs to run. How can I get my desktop icons and the
> bar at the bottom of the screen back? Thanks!

Hi,

Try System Restore. From the Task Manager, locate and run the rstrui.exe
file under C:\Windows\system32\Restore folder.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone