[SOLVED] blinking dash before windows start HELP!

May 9, 2020
hey i have an asus motherboard the asus rog maximus viii ranger z170 and i have an issue after reinstalling windows recently i got a blinking dash-cursor before my windows boot before it used to show me the rog logo and goes directly to the login screen now it does that with the windows logo please him fix it here is a video to see how it does before windows start
https://streamable.com/42tpno

Solution
when was drive F formatted? before or after the last install?

Its still possible you swapped.
C is one partition, which tells me you are set up as MBR/legacy boot. Your reports say they are MBR anyway.
GPT drives would have 2 partitions at the very least, as far as I know they can't only have 1 partition like MBR can.

if F is from before the current install, it might show us the previous build was GPT (since that is the format of that drive) or it might not show us anything at all since win 10 might have used that format for storage drives

secure boot likely (even though it shows as on) isn't on as it only works with GPT drives.

if you did somehow swap from GPT to MBR, you went opposite direction to me. My 1st install was MBR...

Colif

Win 11 Master
its cause the usb drive is 1st in the boot order so its checking the USB drive at startup. You could go into bios and set boot ssd as 1st in line.

At least it only flashes up and isn't actually stopping the boot process.

May 9, 2020
its cause the usb drive is 1st in the boot order so its checking the USB drive at startup. You could go into bios and set boot ssd as 1st in line.

At least it only flashes up and isn't actually stopping the boot process.
hey thanks for replying i already did that but still the same problem i jsut dont know why there is that blinking cursor before th login screen and why there is windows logo instad of the asus one

Colif

Win 11 Master
because there is a bug that leaves windows sitting on a blank screen with a flashing cursor, almost exactly the same as what you have, but in this case it hangs and doesn't load windows, finding an answer to why you have now is going to be fun.

I think it is because when you reinstalled, you may have swapped boot methods. Did you clean install win 10? did you wipe the hdd?
Win 10 by default will want to use UEFI boot method, did you get any errors about GPT during install? If you wiped hdd you may not have.
Asus motherboards have a setting in Boot settings called CSM (Compatibility System Module (from memory)) which allows it to switch boot methods, between legacy (what every version of windows prior to win 8 used) and UEFI, and the default is called Auto which allows it to switch at restart.

So its possible the 1st time you installed it was set up as legacy, and this time its set up as UEFI.
can you right click start
choose disk management
open the next window up so you can see all columns
take a screenshot and upload to an image sharing website.
I just want to see if I am on right path or wrong (again)

May 9, 2020
hey thanks again for replying here is the pics and screenshots
drives:
https://media.discordapp.net/attach...19115241472/unknown.png?width=1248&height=677
boot menu:
https://media.discordapp.net/attach...8630/20200514_010328.jpg?width=902&height=677

CSM:
https://media.discordapp.net/attach...0244/20200514_010405.jpg?width=902&height=677
secureboot: https://media.discordapp.net/attach...3112/20200514_010415.jpg?width=902&height=677
by the way i forgot to explain how i reinstalled windows
first i went on bios then i secure erased my ssd after it i used a usb stick to boot from and install windows an yeh i wiped all drives before installing windows then i installed windows on the ssd .
that's how i did it i thought deleting drivs is the best but i geuss i did a mistake or smth and yeh windows works but i got that blnking dash first

Colif

Win 11 Master
when was drive F formatted? before or after the last install?

Its still possible you swapped.
C is one partition, which tells me you are set up as MBR/legacy boot. Your reports say they are MBR anyway.
GPT drives would have 2 partitions at the very least, as far as I know they can't only have 1 partition like MBR can.

if F is from before the current install, it might show us the previous build was GPT (since that is the format of that drive) or it might not show us anything at all since win 10 might have used that format for storage drives

secure boot likely (even though it shows as on) isn't on as it only works with GPT drives.

if you did somehow swap from GPT to MBR, you went opposite direction to me. My 1st install was MBR and current is GPT. I blame CSM not making its mind up :)

BTW, do you have newest chipset/bios as that might help. It shouldn't be stopping like that.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
F was fine how it was. wish I hadn't pointed it out now.

Updating drivers on motherboard might remove the delay there. Taking USB drives out of slots could help too.
running startup repair might help
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup. click restart now
this loads windows into a blue menu at startup
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up repair - this will scan PC and maybe fix this - will ask for logon info