Blizzard: Battle.net Won't Be Another Steam

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is this going to be good for gamers in the long term again?

Oh yeah, but asking gamers to pay money for user generated content...

Remember the day when you could download user created maps for games like Medal of Honor? Some of the user generated maps were a ton more fun than the stock fare.

It seems like so many games these days are being made in such a way that user generated content is become less and less available. :( :(

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]ssalim[/nom]"Blizzard is still trying to figure out how to leech money from you wallet via Battle.net."you -> your[/citation]
sorry all i see is money from my wallet everything before that doesn't matter.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
points is RETARTED! its just a way to get us to buy more, cause we always have points left over. I think its a good idea that they only support their games, rather than trying to organise all the 3rd parties to use it properly. as long as its like steam in EVERY OTHER way, ill be fine, most notably, no STUPID POINTS SYSTEM!
"would you like to buy some Itchy&Scratchy Money? its like real money but... fun!" "ok"..... *we don't except itchy Money* *no itchy Money* *cash only*....

Kaiser_25

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Ya paying for bullshit points is the most retarded stuff ive ever seen for gaming...it cheapens the experince and just makes...rich kids etc have an edge and does nothing to encourage skill...just spending more moneys.

Geibys

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
I guess it was gonna come down to this eventually, we all knew it, but they are getting close to the last straw tho, just wait, battle.net will become a paid service by force. Just think about it, it makes sense, no LAN support on upcoming games, so that means you have to go to battle.net and if you don't pay you're out of luck. But the great thing about the internet is that there will always be "private" servers to link to.

I think that once Blizzard got a taste of the money it could make off of people who pay every month to play WoW, they've been searching for another method to extend that to all their games ever since.

This is the beginning of it.

Master Exon

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
People still don't believe Blizzard is Activision's cashcow... Sigh.

Also, what happens if person A made popular map X in SC1, but user B remakes it for SC2 and makes money?

g-thor

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
They do need a Blizzard connection on naming the points - maybe a per game name. For a start, in Starcraft II they could call them Star Bucks - oops, guess that's already taken.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
Blizzard is a company. Companies exist to make money through providing services or ideas. So trying to lay blame on them for trying to make money is rediculous. Spend a few dollars. Stop expecting hand-outs and free content all the time. No one here knows just how the new system is gonna be implemented. Free free free. It's all I seem to hear now a days. Blizzard has been very successful up to date, because they do listen to their customers. They actively work based on feedback. If the products they charge for aren't worth it.. they will take it away -OR- make it better til it is. Be optimistic guys and gals. Either they earn their money, or they will be ground into dust.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]pirateboy[/nom]just pirate their shit so hard that they will go out of business, that'll teach 'em[/citation]

No no no.. we don't want to KILL them.. Their products have been entertaining us for quite some time now..

But I see nothing wrong with making them squirm! >:D

radnor

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Wait wait wait, this news can't be correct.

Like WoW Gold, there must not be a correlation with currency. The main reason why Blizzard don't want people to buy gold, is because governments may find a correlation with the currency, and thus, tax them.

Buying "Blizzard Points" is the same scheme. This may generate a private un-taxed activities. That with enough volume (and time), will be taxed.

I think somebody in blizzard should go on vacations. For a long time.

stradric

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
"Blizzard is still trying to figure out how to leech money from you wallet via Battle.net."

Biased much? So much for journalistic integrity...

I think by charging for user-generated content, it means that there will be an incentive for people to generate content. And for once, the people that are making good maps are going to be compensated for it. It's a brilliant thing.

The shortsighted Toms Hardware gaming community only seems to see "wahh, I have to pay for something that someone spent hours developing? Waaah. I want free. Mommy, make em give it to me for free." Such spoiled brats around here...

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
what ever happened to the good ol' days of when you wanted to play a game you just installed it and played? If your friends wanted to join in you had a lan party and you had a good time not to mention real human camaraderie.

tektek

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
I think blizzard needs to realize that gamers made it what it is.. and if we dont like it... we wont take it!

frankzz

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
The only problem with creating user based content for sale is that there will be so much that no one will have the same map... I dont know how many times I've tried to play a custom map on starcraft that i knew i had and needed to redownload ANOTHER version of the same map. And another question, how would you keep people from creating knockoff versions of the same map and selling it cheaper? COPYRIGHT?? (That could be FUN stuff) Is blizzard going to have to be the hall monitor and make sure everyone is playing nice when creating maps and making sure that every map you buy is of quality work?

On another tangent, what about map spammers? Not to say there will be amazing map creators out there, but the guys that churn out crappy maps that look good, but have the crappiest(is that how you spell it?) mechanics with triggers and story. And you buy it. And no one else does. Not only are you screwed out of money but the map can't even act as a decoration in your yard or a paperweight. Is blizzard going to create a secure map storage location somewhere so people can't easily find the map in the directory and copy it to a friends computer, or will they make you sign into battle.net to even use the map? So many questions, so few answers. Paying for UGC throws so many wrenches into what was origionally a simple system.

Status
Not open for further replies.