Blizzard: Buying Online Gold is Dangerous

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

One way to settle this. Change the game mechanics where it will only take you about a week of playing to reach lvl 100 Super Ninja Jedi ranking. Everyone can run around with these fantasmigorical uber-orcs with 18" dicks swinging in the wind and the world will be at peace. Then everyone can stop their pussy-ass whining about a GAME!!!

What happened to the good old days where the worthless tard who spent his entire existence to levelup his character only to have it crushed by a cruel twist of dice-rolling fate would run and throw himself off a cliff?

jrsdav

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
[citation][nom]jn77[/nom]yeah my mistake, but it is electronic theft. They destroyed data that was purchased and they should be liable for it.Some of these "virtual worlds" like Second Life and the such have an exchange rate for what they call "real world currency" from the currency they use in the virtual world, and because it deals with "real world money" they are liable for it.Right now people playing games like wow or guild wars, or the like, may not think about, and be like, I was banned for a few days and they destroyed the items I purchased, but in the coming years, this is going to be a big deal.Blizzard could loose all their money from a few big lawsuits.[/citation]

By logging into your account you agree to Blizzards TOS/EULA which basically states that your claim holds no ground whatsoever. Blizzard offers you the service of accessing their online servers through a monthly subscription which they can terminate access to at any whiff of a EULA violation, which I'll mention again you agree to every time you play the game.

You won't find any loopholes, period. They spend thousands of dollars on lawyers just to ensure that. The second you create a account you cease to have ownership of it, if you play by their rules you can have access to it. You don't, well...tough luck.

Jaguar07

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
That Blizzard just woke up is one thing. Turbine fixed this issue 10 years ago. That Tom's Hardware gave it the time of day? Priceless.

m3kt3k

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
If bliz sold gold themselves they know EXACTLY what would happen. The game would go even more Noob and would have no skill=gear but LOOK I have 100bucks for Tier8. I would go along with this aslong as above there names it either said NOOB or I really dont know how to play but mom gave me my allownce. As for They deleted my items BLABLABLA. YEA read the TOS. In essence kids cant even play the game without the parents giving the ok since the TOS is a legal contract and under 18 you cant legally agree.

I guess they are nicer then I. I think gold buyers should be beaten for fucking up the economy.

A Stoner

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
Well, Blizzard has a great game going. 8 Million subscriptions or so, and probably 1/4 of those paying monthly fees are gold farmers and another 1/4 are gold buyers who would stop playing if their easy access to equipment upgrades is cut off. They pay lipservice to getting rid of these aspects, but as they say, customer security is the real goal for them, as it should be. As for whether or not some people buy gold or not, there will always be inflation, as a server ages, so too does it's population of high level characters with an ever growing number of alternate lowbies that must be equipped with the most ultimate of limited items. I am not even sure why i quit playing WoW, guess it got boring after a bit. Not enough side things to do maybe.

I have played Online RPGs since Ultima Online, and one thing has remained through all of them, developers who listen to a loud vocal minority and implement their demands. The game starts off awesome, a few people complain about fringe elements are character balance, the developers listen to this voal minority, and start tweaking things until all that remains of the population are the vocal minority.

Ultima Online succumed to the need to get rid of Player Killing, and instead of handling it properly, they care bear'd the game out of 85% of it subscribers in three months time. It hired corrupt game masters that went from house to house stealing from players and even desroying houses to allow their friends to build on that lot, or more likely ebay payers. In the end, only the hardcore ebayers played/play ultima Online.

Everquest decided the only players that matter are those hardcore guilds, and started tailoring 99% of all new content to keep them happy. They spent months and millions in developing ever increasingly hard dungeons to conquer, feeling it would be months before those guilds conquered them and started demanding more, only to have the uber guilds crush the new dungeon 3 to 5 days later and start demanding something more. Everquest, at least up til the point I got tired and left never stopped trying to satisfy those people, and continued to ignore the small guild people like me. I quit after I realized that after getting to the highest level I had no hope of ever getting my epic items unless I joined some uber guild.

Dark Age of Camelot listened to the crafting community to that factions demise. They demanded changes that would make their wares more valuable, and in the end their wares became worthless. Thus ended my gaming there, as I was a crafter in that game.

Starwars started off great, once again I was a crafter, and once again the developers listened to a fringe group and made sweeping changes, and overnight starwars became a hasbeen and never recovered. They screwed with crafting, combat, classes, equipment, pretty much every aspect of the game got screwed 9 ways to wednesday on a regular basis. The game started off AWESOME and had HUGE numbers of players. The only thing they needed to do was add content, and yet...

Dungeons and Dragons Online just plain sucked, although it had huge potential, the designer's desire to FORCE players to group in order to do anything killed that games population within a few months. The first update only tailored to the uber guildies and super levelers, while leaving out every lower level. Eventually they catered to solo players, but it was too late by then, as the new next thing was already out, Lord Of the Rings.

Lord of the Rings lost me when they did the same thing that Dark Ages of Camelot did. They listened to retarded people about how to make crafting more profitable. They instituted a bind on equip on all crafted gear, thus making that gear worthless to the people who buy it. I sure as hell am not going to pay massive amounts of money to gear up for level 35 when in three levels I have to throw that gear away because it is not sellable due to being bound. I go back and check out my lifetime membership, and when i go to the auction house, there is no crafted equipment for sale, the reason is that it is completely pointless to buy the stuff if it is only good for a couple levels. No point in crafting it, as the materials are worth a fortune, and even if you did craft it, putting up for sale is not worth is, as the auction requires a fee, so your out the fee and still have the crappy item.

Now I am into the free to play games. I tried a couple, but I like Atlantica Online for now. The one thing i like most about the free to play games is that the developers seem to listen to the fringe players demands alot less than the rejects over at the pay to play games I mentioned above. If I have learned one thing from all my years of playing games online, the last thing a developer should ever do is listen to the most vocal people in their forums. There are always going to be ways to change things and make them better, but just remember, when you have 25 people out of thousands screaming loudly that things must change, that leaves thousands of people who are not complaining, and likely are not complaining because the way it is right now suits them just fine.

I buy gold, and I have even paid for powerleveling services and when pwoerleveling is too expensive, i just plain out buy someone elses account. If this company is wanting to protect the customers, I would say that they should have an account login/PW for the webpage where all personal information is and a seperate and required to be different login/PW for the game client.

knickle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
Gold farmers and leveling services have been known to be responsible for account theft and trojan viruses for a long time. It's nothing new. People need to stop supporting these "shaddy" organizations.

If you don't have the time to play an MMORPG the way the creators intended... go play something else. The game was obviously not meant for you and your current life sittuation.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Here is a solution that might make everyone happy: Parallel servers which have different game rules. Basically, have four types of "universes": buying + pking, buying + no pking, no buying + pking, no buying + no pking.

This would democratize the solution as the customer could choose the style of their game!

I only have a very limited amount of time, so I would choose a buying + pking world. Now I can "buy" levels to keep up with my buddies who are playing 8 hours a day. This enhances my multi-player experience because I would otherwise have to find a new group of people to play with every single time I logged on, and thus would wind up wasting most of my play time saying "hey, can I join you guys?"

Meanwhile, someone who wants a "pure" economy but no risk of another player taking all their goods could choose a no-buying no-pking world. Sure, we couldn't ever play together - but our differing views on the game means we wouldn't want to play together.

From there, let the market decide. If everyone signs up for the no-buying pking worlds, then those are the ones that have the servers expanded. If no one wants a buying pking world, then there will only be a single server for it - a trivial cost for the company. A company doesn't have to choose to satisfy only one particular segment of the gaming community if they recognize that this is NOT an EITHER-OR situation!

solymnar

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Actually MDillen

This is already done by SOE, they have specifically marked servers that players can buy gold etc. from SOE directly. For people who don't like the idea that someone can just pay directly for high level stuff with real world money (like me) they don't play on those servers. Everyone wins and SOE makes more money directly off its customers instead of a 3rd party collecting off their player base.

brisingamen

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
if you get your gold and gear punked after cheating then i dont feel for you at all. i actually feel a little giddy inside,
ive played diablo 1,2, and wow and never purchased an item or gold in that way. . . starting to feel like a minority, .

shame on anyone supporting that garbage aspect of gameplay, its for degenerates. ive played wow and many blizzard games and now the company is actually big enough to do something about the problem i think its great to see blizzard deleting off acounts and banning people, they even need undercovers to exploit the members of this site catching them in the act face to face, UNDERCOVER MMORPG ESPIONAGE! and who said they game didnt have everything?

i think its great to finally see blizzard a big enough company to do things like this, vs the diablo 2 days. . . . . .

blizzard is really a great company who takes alot of pride in the games they make, i go through countless game titles a year and thier is a reason everyone remembers just about ever game that company has released, i already got my money set aside for diablo 3 and sc 2, GO BLIZZARD!
american game development and american jobs. oh yeah thier website has had consistent job openings for a dogs age.

G

Sorry help people, I have asked help so may times and I havent got nothing so far but been banned a few times for what? That I sure wonder.
Yes I have bought gold for but the simple reason is that I dont have hours to play and when I do i want to enjoy a little more.
Now that Blizzard are so helpfull what a pile of........
If anything they just send stupid mails saying be carefull ur acount is bausing, shit i havent polayed for months so how the hell can i be abusing, help requested but the same old story, computer generated email, now I gave up stuff them they about as helpfull as a dead duck!

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
"any account suspected of illegal in-game activity will be terminated."
That's a term they take very seriously! I got a blizzard account killed because 'it linked to inappropriate content' - the site it linked to was my private homepage, with nothing game related on it.
They're doing anything they can to stop the bad stuff, but due to extremely incompetent employees they're hardly ever hitting who they aim for.

quietstorm

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
Play the game the way it's designed to be played. MMORPG's are about a player's experiences and interactions with others - not level, or amount of gold, special items, etc. You can be of low level and broke as dirt, but with the right people/parties, still have lots of fun! I'm glad to see that one company out there cares enough to respect this genre of gaming to put a stop to those that like to take shortcuts.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I really don't understand why anyone wants to buy gold - if that's your thinking, why play the game at all? Play some kind of game where you don't have to worry about an ecomomy - like, any game except an MMO. Really. Maybe the MMO game just isn't for you. MMOs are about taking time to develop your character in an on-going way, not instant gratification for no effort. We who truly enjoy the genre enjoy doing what it takes to make money as well.

Blizzard is absolutely right about the quality of person that sells gold; do you really want to associate with sleazes? Make the life of some scum easier, give them a reason to steal your account, your friend's account, to fill your game with farmers that do nothing but go around and gather mats to sell, interfering with legitimate farmers and players and legitimate trade? In short, degrade the experience of the game for you as well as other people who play?

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]quietstorm[/nom]Play the game the way it's designed to be played. MMORPG's are about a player's experiences and interactions with others - not level, or amount of gold, special items, etc. You can be of low level and broke as dirt, but with the right people/parties, still have lots of fun! I'm glad to see that one company out there cares enough to respect this genre of gaming to put a stop to those that like to take shortcuts.[/citation]

My mindset is a bit different really. In my opinion a mmorpg is more like a huge multiplayer obilivon. ie. you choose which parts of the game you want to play, and what is fun. instead of having fun dictated by someone who might have a different idea of what it is.

Except for reasonable graphics, buying something for reallife money is about the only thing its lacking. If you like trading, then you can 'play' the game from within ironforge or ogrimmar, and just do auctionhousing. That's something I like, so I've probably spent more time in my mailbox than I have in outlands. Or perhaps you came to wow directly from counterstrike and just want some mindless killing - then go do kill quests or dailies. Or pvp is your fancy? fine go do that. Could be you're unemployed and want a job - then you'd go raiding for fun. I find it good that you have options. That you don't have to rely on what someone else wants you to do. But in a way they are limiting you, cause those who just like to fly around or slay stuff will never get any of the items they want - and many of those farming don't really want to, but need flasks for their next raid, enhancement on their tier 7½ item, or whatever. And that's where blizzard sais 'no no, we want you to waste more time on the game, so we earn more. Don't just hand your money to someone else to do the monotonous boring job' .... the way gold sellers get their gold may or may not be morally sound, but buying your way out of boredome just might.

G

I've never bought gold or powerleveling, but I'm wondering if buying PvE gear or arena rating is risky as well? I found a site - http://mmorig.com/buy-arena-rating/ - that offers these services, but they ask for payment up front. I guess this is normal though...

Status
Not open for further replies.