Blizzard Details Heart of the Swarm Launch Events

Status
Not open for further replies.

samuelspark

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
I'm fairly good at Starcraft. Playing both Protoss and Terran on a high diamond level. Looking forward to what HOTS brings to the table as well as exploring the campaign. Reading the books got me pumped up!

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]atavax[/nom]so why exactly did they need to break up starcraft 2 into 3 games?[/citation]money obviously, but who cares SC2 is not my type of games anyway.

Rur

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
[citation][nom]atavax[/nom]so why exactly did they need to break up starcraft 2 into 3 games?[/citation]

People still whine about this?

They're called expansions, StarCraft 1 had the same thing! So did WarCraft III and every other Blizzard game. Why did they have to break these games into 2? hur dur

I'd rather get 3 deep and unique campaigns then 6-9 short and shallow ones. If you can't afford 60 bucks every 2+ years for these incredible games, go get a job.

largg

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
[citation][nom]samuelspark[/nom]I'm fairly good at Starcraft. Playing both Protoss and Terran on a high diamond level. Looking forward to what HOTS brings to the table as well as exploring the campaign. Reading the books got me pumped up![/citation]

Profit.

gilgamex

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
[citation][nom]Rur[/nom]People still whine about this?They're called expansions, StarCraft 1 had the same thing! So did WarCraft III and every other Blizzard game. Why did they have to break these games into 2? hur durI'd rather get 3 deep and unique campaigns then 6-9 short and shallow ones. If you can't afford 60 bucks every 2+ years for these incredible games, go get a job.[/citation]

Heart of the swarm is actually $40! Plus people don't process the fact that it's not so easy to whip up 3 completely lengthy and distinct campaigns, with all the cinematics, graphical effects and all else. People just expected it because SC1 did that, but those campaigns weren't nearly as hard or time consuming to create than what Blizzard is pulling off now.

It also brings you on a journey so to speak. You could even compare it to the Lord of the Rings trilogy, they could have just make a 9 hour epic all together (for this example just imagine thats a viable choice) but no you make each one, seperate it by a year or 2 and develop it, keeps interest alive and you can also learn and try new things along the way. Build that tension, makes people eager to see how it all works out. And in Starcraft 2's case they get to introduce new units each time, and try something new like Brood War.

wdmfiber

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
I remember the advertising campaign for SCII WoL (Wings of Liberty) back in 2010/11. A couple of Boeing 747's in the Korean Airlines fleet had Starcraft II and a picture of Jim Raynor painted on the fuselage.

Since then Blizz has sold several million copies of SCII at ~approx $50 a piece. The total$$ wouldn't even be enough to by one new 747 (350+ million dollars).

With Exxon Mobile, Apple, Microsoft(and many others) making 10's of billions every 4 months(financial quarter). I'm just glad Blizzard is still turning out the expansion packs even though profit margins are small. I'll be buying HotS on March 12th. Didn't buy Aliens, Colonial Marines(for example)... as it's terrible (just another "let down" really).

Anyway, thanks Blizzards for all the hard work, attention to detail and continued commitment to Starcraft.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
Maaan, when will we get Warcraft 4? I was a very late adopter of Warcraft 3 since I grew up with the Age of Empire games but as soon as I played WC3 I saw how brilliant, fun and balanced the game was, I don't think I ever had so much fun playing an RTS before in my life.

mazty

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
[citation][nom]Rur[/nom]People still whine about this?They're called expansions, StarCraft 1 had the same thing! So did WarCraft III and every other Blizzard game. Why did they have to break these games into 2? hur durI'd rather get 3 deep and unique campaigns then 6-9 short and shallow ones. If you can't afford 60 bucks every 2+ years for these incredible games, go get a job.[/citation]
I'm guessing you never actually played SC then? SC had a) 1 expansion and b) the industry was vastly different back then.

Whether you care to admit it or not, the campaign was piss-poor in SC2 in every way. Also SC and Diablo 2 (D1 didn't have an expansion did it?) had expansions quite some time after release whereas SC2 was clearly designed to milk cash from fanboys otherwise why are there so many units in the campaign which you can't get in MP?

If you think SC2 is an incredible game you must think every game is amazing, and something like Supreme Commander must blow your mind.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Hey, I don't work because I live in a piece of shit country with massive unemployment rates and I can still afford everything Blizzard throws out (stopped with WoW since early Cataclysm because it's a casual garbage compared to TBC days).

spigias

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
[citation][nom]Soda-88[/nom]Hey, I don't work because I live in a piece of shit country with massive unemployment rates and I can still afford everything Blizzard throws out (stopped with WoW since early Cataclysm because it's a casual garbage compared to TBC days).[/citation]

I live in Greece and i had to robe two old people to get the money for the expansion :)

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I will wait and see what reviews it get, after the disappointment that was Diablo3 my trust in the once rock solid Blizzard have taken a turn for the worse and I wont be pre purchasing anything from them in the future.

susyque747

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
Big companies have destroyed two great companies. Activision killed Blizzard and EA killed Bioware. RIP you two were great at one time but now you are just whores.

GNCD

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
[citation][nom]atavax[/nom]so why exactly did they need to break up starcraft 2 into 3 games?[/citation]

You would not be asking that if you played WoL.

Duckhunt

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
There is your problem. Half the folk who want to play it can't put two pennies together to afford.
Great.
As usual we have politics :). You get what you deserve if you don't vote out the b+Tchs.

Status
Not open for further replies.