Blizzard: Diablo 3 Can ''Cannibalize'' WoW Players

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMW1011

Distinguished
Guild Wars 2 might be doing that first... the first Guild Wars was still a far superior game than WoW, and no monthly subscription. Then again, I hate WoW so I might be biased.

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I'm still thinking it's going to be World of StarCraft - which will have to be HUGE. They let that other guy keep developing to get everything to think they aren't going that way.

AMW1011

Distinguished
[citation][nom]K2N hater[/nom]WoW sucks and I bet D3 will be rather disappointing in terms of graphics.[/citation]

A game doesn't rape every setup available with amazing graphics, and instead offers fun, refined, and addictive gameplay, and you have a problem with that?

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
[citation][nom]davewolfgang[/nom]I'm still thinking it's going to be World of StarCraft - which will have to be HUGE. They let that other guy keep developing to get everything to think they aren't going that way.[/citation]
It's not going to be. Blizzard has already stated that "Titan" will be a brand new IP. So any existing franchise is out of the question.

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
[citation][nom]davewolfgang[/nom]I'm still thinking it's going to be World of StarCraft - which will have to be HUGE. They let that other guy keep developing to get everything to think they aren't going that way.[/citation]
Unfortunately, I think there are more fantasy fans than SciFi fans, so, no, I do not think that WoStarCraft will kill WoW.

I think the best setting for the game to kill WoW is something in between. Like W40K, were you have Orks, Elves (sorry, Eldars)just modernized, and you still have spells... Starcraft even though has roots (he he) in W40K completely misses the fantasy part.

So, World of Warhammer 40K (WoW40K) is my prediction for the best WoW killer.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007

Whatever the new MMO is, please, please, please do not let the art director from WoW touch it. As stupid as it sounds I have a difficult time getting into WoW because I want the fierce cataclysmic mentality, but I'm stuck in a Walt Disney backdrop...it just doesn't work for me. What would be nice if they could actually make their cinematic art style follower closer to the in-game art style (WAR being a good example).

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
On Topic:
I don't play wow in the first place but I did for about 2 weeks, then stopped but I'll definitely be getting this game.

Off Topic:
Advert to the right of this comment says

"Cheap WOW Gold"
$1.8/1000G

I hate it when they don't look into what they advertise but I guess money is money right?

RS was hosting adverts that took over the users PC and installed software, everyone was in a panic lol.

pooflinger1

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
IMO, Rift is likely to do so before D3. Blizzard is notorious for missing deadlines. Rift already has well over 1M subscribers, and if you ask me, the game is much better looking, and has a better feel to it than WoW. After playing wow for multiple years, (from release to WotLK), I can say that I am much happier with Rift.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
Now, if only I were confident that Blizzard would be able to stop the rampant cheating that has plagued all of its previous Diablo games. I may be a minority in this regard, but I would gladly pay a subscription fee to Blizzard for D3 if it meant they would be able to address cheating to the same extent they do in WoW.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Off Topic:Advert to the right of this comment says "Cheap WOW Gold"$1.8/1000GI hate it when they don't look into what they advertise but I guess money is money right?RS was hosting adverts that took over the users PC and installed software, everyone was in a panic lol.[/citation]
Adblock Plus. Works wonders. :)

ChromeTusk

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010

It looks like several different games will eat away at WoW. I have not played Rift, but I do like what I have seen so far. Even though Blizzard pushes back deadlines often, the resulting games look good and have a lot of re-playability.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]K2N hater[/nom]WoW sucks and I bet D3 will be rather disappointing in terms of graphics.[/citation]

Blizzard has "game player trailers" posted that show exactly what the graphics will look like... No reason to speculate....when you can see the graphics in trailers made from actual game play...

http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/media/

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
The problem with all these "WoW Killers" is that they focus on gamer personalities. As someone who still leads a guild in WoW its amazing to me how many applicants we get who have never played another video game outside of their iPhone.

Gamers probably make up something like 10-20% of WoW and the rest are non-gamers who got pulled in off the streets. Until a MMO comes along that can grab non-gamers and make them want to log in and group with others (make a gamer wanna-be out of them) then WoW is safe.

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]...Advert to the right of this comment...[/citation][citation][nom]wiyosaya[/nom]Adblock Plus. Works wonders.[/citation]I seriously read his comment twice, then looked at the comment box, found no ad, and wondered "...huh?" then realized I had Adblock installed! :)

Flameout

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]AMW1011[/nom]Guild Wars 2 might be doing that first... the first Guild Wars was still a far superior game than WoW, and no monthly subscription. Then again, I hate WoW so I might be biased.[/citation]
Guild Wars was excellent! Very tactical gameplay and so well balanced. Can't wait for GW2

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Diablo 3.... when's that due, 2012, 2014? 2020? I mean i'm sure a 4billion a year company with over 2,000 employees could somehow produce sequels to their non Warcraft franchise every 10 years...

uggg, just think, imagine if Blizzard plans to announce a new Warcraft RTS expansion or sequel, like Warcraft IV... Hey, it'll only be 15 years.

socalboomer

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
[citation][nom]AMW1011[/nom]Guild Wars 2 might be doing that first... the first Guild Wars was still a far superior game than WoW, and no monthly subscription. Then again, I hate WoW so I might be biased.[/citation]

Tried Guild Wars and just couldn't get into it. Very VERY pretty, but didn't really like the gameplay and the grind.

But yes, you're biased. :D

XZaapryca

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
While I do play WoW, I'm all for the WoW-killers out there. I played the demos for a few mmo's and wasn't impressed. Rifts looks decent, but the screen shots weren't inspiring. There are so many ways to play WoW that can keep one entertained, it's tough for new mmo's I think. I don't think WoW will hold up when the "average system" has at least a quad-core and the capabilities of a 570 or 6970....in two or three years. The graphics are cartoonish, but the game is still fun. Unreal's new engine in an mmo...that would be smoke'n.

G

Rift and Guild Wars 2 won't stand a chance against WoW. EVERY MMO that has ever been released says that they're the 'WoW-killer', but none have done it so far. Knights of the Old Republic will probably be a success. I would guess a couple million subscribers at the most. But NOTHING can bring down a Blizzard game except for another Blizzard game. Also, don't talk about the bots in D2, they were Blizzard North's fault. This is the first Diablo game made by the actual Blizzard company.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
What's going to ultimately hurt Rift, is the lack of trial accounts. Most people aren't going to dump $50-60 into a subscription based game, without being able to try it out first...especially from a new company they've never heard of before. Trion Worlds, according to their own website, has 2 completed games and is working on a 3rd in conjunction with Syfy (Formerly Sci-Fi) yet they claim to be the "premier publisher and developer of connected video games".... Trion World's even got their Rift site directly from Blizzard's World of Warcraft site....lol.

I'll give Rift a try, when the people are Trion Worlds finally pull their heads out of their asses and allow free trials.

Some of these articles aren't exactly News. Wow is like 20 years old and, therefore, is on the decline. Of course Blizzard wants to keep its players. Titan should have targeted release summer 2012, not Q4, 2013. They're gonna lose a lot of players by then because Wow's graphics are only tolerable because of their cartoony look nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.