Blizzard Exec Backs Valve's Critical Windows 8 Outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawn808

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]I stopped PC gaming years ago. I buy one piece of hardware hook it into my LED TV and don't have to upgrade anything for years. PC hardware is obsolete 6 months after you buy it. Thumb me down all you want I don't care..lol[/citation]

Enjoy your 2006 technology.

LOL @ every 6 months....

My year old 2600k with 580 gtx SMOKES your 360 /PS3

MrMakapuu

Distinguished
May 13, 2012
It's not too late to plan your mass suicide for the 2012 event in December. Can't wait for that since the world be rid of idiocracy!

uglynerdman

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
if that really does happen then there needs to be a complete dx Ripoff for linux so that games can be run. if it goes that bad with win8 and hogging the marketspace then finally linux might get a shot at finally being a worthwhile os for "GAMING" Truth be told the only reason I use windows is because i have no choice ima gamer and i want to use my hardware and see the eyecandy.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Linux will NEVER garner more than the 1% market share it currently holds.[/citation]

It already has most of the smartphone market, most of the server market and 90+% of the supercomputer market. It's a huge fail on the desktop (in terms of adoption), but more around 2-3%.

So if you look at its totality, Linux actually rules the world - Windows is only dominant on the PC.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]I stopped PC gaming years ago. I buy one piece of hardware hook it into my LED TV and don't have to upgrade anything for years. PC hardware is obsolete 6 months after you buy it. Thumb me down all you want I don't care..lol[/citation]

Consoles are obsolete before they are even release.... pwnt

Valve and blizzard is just looking at the margins but realistically, most people who would use the windows store would be people who wouldn't buy blizzard games imo. Steam however might lose some sales of casual stuff to the windows store but I think most pc gamers would choose steam over anything microsoft makes.

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
Valve or Blizzard don't give a crap about gamers. They're just worried people will resort to spending money on Windows 8 Store rather than their DRM systems. All of those three companies mentioned are just looking out for themselves, not the consumer.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007

Your logic is flawed here as your console is outdated before it is even released to the public. By the time they settle on the specs, manufacture and release the newest console is around the equivalent of a older low end PC. The fact that new PC hardware is being released all the time is what makes the PC the powerhouse it is. Nor is anyone forced to get new hardware right away, a decent rig will last for many years before a upgrade is truly a must.

So have fun with your outdated console that is also a completely closed system and doesn't even have a ounce of freedom.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Apple made the App Store for OS X and yet there's still Steam for Mac and you can install/run anything you want on OS X without ever using the app store.

I think it's extremely unlikely that Microsoft would turn Windows into a iOS style "walled garden".
That would go against everything a desktop OS is supposed to be. It would never be allowed by anti trust agencies anyway.

G

yeah, octacon is a moron. My PC is hooked up to my 50" plasma with 2 wired 360 controllers on a 5 year old Pc that STILL out performs the consoles on all fronts, not to mention I still play whatever games I want to fine, mind you some of them arn't maxed out but they STILL have better quality than the console counterpart. And guess what? This PC was only $800 5 years ago. Only thing I upgraded was 2 years ago for a new $150 GPU.

You're a blantant moron, Only really really hardcore Benchmarkers and enthusiasts upgrade every 6 months.

shinmalothar

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
I think people are forgetting that windows 8 is supposed to be a unified experience across all of its devices. Since windows phones and some tablets will be metro only and probably only have access to windows store, removing windows store from the desktop version would kind of contradict this unified OS they are pushing for.

I'm guessing one of the key drivers of having windows store on the PC is so users can download the same apps from their phones onto their PC (of course the extra money would be a key driver too).

People need to calm down and just see how this one plays out.

G

Also, by your logic you mise well never buy anythig and live in a cave.

As to anything you buy is obsolete in a few months.

Houses, cars, couches, beds, lightbulbs, appliances, washers, fridges, EVERYTHING. Even clothing, and shoes.

tell me how your cave gets you by,but then again, even a CAVE is obsolete by the cave next door since it has a natural indoor pool.

Your a sucker.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
I'd hate Steam if it weren't for the sales and convenience. But it's BS that if I buy a collection with a game I already own, I don't get an extra copy. Or that I can't trade my games to others. It used to be games were something you shared with friends and family, but with Steam, they're something you hoard on your private account.

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
[citation][nom]sp0nger[/nom]Aoneone your retarded, us real gamers want steam not the shitty windows store[/citation]
Actually, I'd argue real gamers want games with just the game, no third party spyware at all.

G

Your brains obsolete too, so I guess you might want to not use that either anymore aswell. Donate it to someone who actually wants to use it. But make sure they know it came from an obsolete body, with obsolete organs.

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010

No reason to thumb this guy down. He isn't saying anything that isn't true. Well, I don't console game, but I can't say his statements are invalid.

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]I'd hate Steam if it weren't for the sales and convenience. But it's BS that if I buy a collection with a game I already own, I don't get an extra copy. Or that I can't trade my games to others. It used to be games were something you shared with friends and family, but with Steam, they're something you hoard on your private account.[/citation]

To be fair, some games can have their directories copied and run "alone". Although I don't know anyone who'd buy a game thusly.

dirgle

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
[citation][nom]shinmalothar[/nom]I think people are forgetting that windows 8 is supposed to be a unified experience across all of its devices. Since windows phones and some tablets will be metro only and probably only have access to windows store, removing windows store from the desktop version would kind of contradict this unified OS they are pushing for.I'm guessing one of the key drivers of having windows store on the PC is so users can download the same apps from their phones onto their PC (of course the extra money would be a key driver too).People need to calm down and just see how this one plays out.[/citation]

Passenger 1: Oh MY GOD! The Titanic just hit an iceberg, it has a hole and it's going down! Everybody to the life boats!

Passenger 2: They said this ship was unsinkable. You people need to calm down and just see how this one plays out.

G

Loads of reasons to thumb him down.

The 360 uses catch this.

Obslete PC hardware. As to it's damn near a weak low end PC. So it's completely biased by saying "His kiddie console isn't obsolete." when it is from the day it ships. Just like PC's.

And anyone who finishes their own sentence in a "LOL" deserves to be thumbed down on its own.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]I'd hate Steam if it weren't for the sales and convenience. But it's BS that if I buy a collection with a game I already own, I don't get an extra copy. Or that I can't trade my games to others. It used to be games were something you shared with friends and family, but with Steam, they're something you hoard on your private account.[/citation]

Can't really complain when you can buy them so cheaply it doesn't matter. I bought Arklam Asylum when it was new for $50 in a pack which included at least other 20 games including that, while the console version of that game alone was going for $60 without tax.

Status
Not open for further replies.