Blizzard: F2P (Still) Not the Best Model for WoW

Status
Not open for further replies.

FulmeR

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
I'd put the $15 up against anything."
Id put $30 up that says you lose half your fan base with your next "Panda" expansion

Farewell Blizzard, you held my attention for many many hours, alas those days are gone. They didnt come soon enough!

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
F2P exists for games that are too crappy to convince people to pay outright for, so they try to trick them into spending that much or more with nickle and dime content. With millions of WOW players still willing to pay the money outright, they have no need to change anything yet. WOW will go F2P if its popularity drops significantly, just like everything else.

joe nate

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009
[citation][nom]FulmeR[/nom]Id put $30 up that says you lose half your fan base with your next "Panda" expansion[/citation]

I don't know what's with all the pandaren hate. Pandarens have been in Warcraft since Warcraft 3. And WoW has never had a "serious" tone to it to begin with, with all the references to things outside the game.

magnetite

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
You'd think with all the paid services Blizzard has for WoW that it wouldn't go F2P? For example, character transfer, gender change, name change, etc. Team Fortress 2 has similar things like buying hats, and it went F2P. I believe TF2 has less players than WoW, although I could be wrong.

G

The price of a product is what the consumers are willing to pay. If people don't mind paying 14$ a month then blizzard sure don't mind taking them.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
They said the same thing with cata "good bye blizzard" "crappy expansion" "im gonna play Aion" etc etc....

They were back in a week or two... Blizzard will never let you go, muhahahahahaha!

Goldengoose

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
[citation][nom]Thunderfox[/nom]F2P exists for games that are too crappy to convince people to pay outright for, so they try to trick them into spending that much or more with nickle and dime content. With millions of WOW players still willing to pay the money outright, they have no need to change anything yet. WOW will go F2P if its popularity drops significantly, just like everything else.[/citation]

Look at guild wars 2. Look at the success from league of legends - it's a very bold statement to say they are all crappy and they rely on tricking; that wouldn't be a good business model so no one would use it. I'm afraid sir you are an idiot.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]joe nate[/nom]I don't know what's with all the pandaren hate. Pandarens have been in Warcraft since Warcraft 3. And WoW has never had a "serious" tone to it to begin with, with all the references to things outside the game.[/citation]

1 joke level doesn't represent 'being part of the story'.

From world ending scenarios to what is essentially a kung fu panda game.
I can't see how the story can develop to such high stakes without one of them saying

"oh btw mister, this guy, who no one knew about, was actually underneath this place you've managed to miss all this time, and he's even more powerful than the previous guy who was at the time the most powerful."

of all the places wow could've gone, they chose the april fools story line.

(no need to mention the aged gameplay as to why they will heamorrage players)

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
I do agree that F2P would be a loss for blizz, cheap expansion packs and constant updates like the random events and knowing the fact your not gimped by lacking access to AH, missing bank slots etc is a unique selling point. Basically it comes down to if people are willing to pay monthly vs people willing to spend on pay to win. Attached to activision, money beats what people want!
For me, the price is too high, especially for a PC game. Steam constantly sells games for less than £10 (often less than £5) which I can enjoy at any pace. Paying double that for something I could only get a limited time on before my period runs out just reeks of poor value. I would rather pay per hour and be charged by that rather than by date or keep your current model, just make it cheaper.

phishy714

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
In other words:

"Why the heck would we go F2P when the mindless idiots are still willing to pay us $15 a month to play a grindfest of a game?"

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]Goldengoose[/nom]Look at guild wars 2. Look at the success from league of legends - it's a very bold statement to say they are all crappy and they rely on tricking; that wouldn't be a good business model so no one would use it. I'm afraid sir you are an idiot.[/citation]

GW sux and so does LOL but then again LoL isnt even a mmo so who cares either way. But yes all the games that have gone FTP are all garbage. There is a reason they went that way and it wasnt becuase they were doing as good as they expected and becuase they were making butt loads of money.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Just about every game out there is now fp2 even rifts ,some of the games i play that are fp2 some players spend $100+ month to get ahead and all games that have gone f2p make more money than they ever did even during release.
I have friends that spent $500 on stuff in age of conan and pay monthly most games that have dual f2p with option to pay get much more money.

xx_pemdas_xx

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
[citation][nom]techguy911[/nom]Just about every game out there is now fp2 even rifts ,some of the games i play that are fp2 some players spend $100+ month to get ahead and all games that have gone f2p make more money than they ever did even during release.I have friends that spent $500 on stuff in age of conan and pay monthly most games that have dual f2p with option to pay get much more money.[/citation]

RUNSCAPE largest MMORPG F2P the free to play game can take years to master. then the P2P takes a lifetime.

guruofchem

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Blizzard provides the best depth and breadth of gameplay in any MMO out there, so why should they not continue to charge the monthly fee? If there is a significant drop in subscribers (and it would probably take several million to make them panic) you might see a shift in the model, but why risk the cash cow unnecessarily?

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Of course it's not the best model. Everyone's already at the top level with most of the best equipment. You make it free to play and you get nothing. If it becomes F2P as a new expansion comes out, and you can buy 'headstart' pandarian equipment, then you'll see some major money.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
World of Warcraft: PANDACLYSM will alienate enough of their mature players (the ones with jobs and money) that Blizzard will end up going F2P 6-9 months after it is released. You just watch.

Their current 12 month and get a free mount deal is a first for WoW, and it shows that they are aware of how precarious their dominance of the MMO market is. Star Wars and Pandaclysm are going to be the one-two punch that dethrones WoW.

I don't hate WoW, I still play it, but the writing is on the wall for anyone who can read it.

sweetleader

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
[citation][nom]figgus[/nom]World of Warcraft: PANDACLYSM will alienate enough of their mature players (the ones with jobs and money) that Blizzard will end up going F2P 6-9 months after it is released. You just watch.Their current 12 month and get a free mount deal is a first for WoW, and it shows that they are aware of how precarious their dominance of the MMO market is. Star Wars and Pandaclysm are going to be the one-two punch that dethrones WoW.I don't hate WoW, I still play it, but the writing is on the wall for anyone who can read it.[/citation]

Pretty much the most rediculous thing I have heard (besides the guy saying GW2 will destroy WoW... LOL). Pretty much all the people I know on WoW are excited about the new expansion with everything that is changing and Blizz bringing back world pvp.

WoW will never go f2p. The only game that stands a chance at "de-throning" WoW is SWTOR. And if people are like me they will just play both. Beleive it or not, more than one game can be popular in a market.

This is coming from someone who works 8-10 hours a day 5-6 days a week.

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
For me, F2P implies a crappy game. You get what you pay for. I quit wow some time ago and even F2P wouldn't get me to come back. That just shows desperation. Let it die! Long live SWTOR!

t2couger

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
he calls it free like you don't actual pay for the game WTF??? yes there is a monthly subscription but i have had to pay for the core game and 3 expansions. Most company's make booko bucks off this standard blizzard is just greedy and set in there ways charging monthly subscription. While i do agree 15$ is not very much for the longevity of entertainment you can get in a month from it i think that at some point something is going to have to change with their strategy to keep up with other competitors on the gaming scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.