Blizzard Finally Announces New Game: Overwatch

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dasper

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
bloodroses75: Blizzard has never really been innovators or imitators. More of masters of refactoring.
When Warcraft and Starcraft came out during Age of Empires, Empire Earth, Earth 2140, Total Annihilation, Command & Conquerer, etc... They found what they felt made those games and stripped out the rest.
Diablo was against Gauntlet Legends, Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon Slayer, and so fourth. Again, found what they thought was fun and stripped out the rest.
World of Warcraft was not the first MMO and nothing exceptionally innovative compared to the competition and many felt it would be a short lived reign before Everquest 2 came out.
Brawlers may have spawned from their custom map editors but they did not create or innovate that genre. DOTA, LOL, HON, Smite... This market is already saturated as well. They are just putting what they feel is fun about it and stripping out the rest.

Blizzard is doing what they always do; trying to take what they like about a genre and make their version of it that they feel is fun, and if they do not feel like it will stand up to their standards then they will scrap it. It will not be fun to everyone but will be a Blizzard game.

grokem

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
It takes a long time to master a given character class and this game has a lot. I lost count at some point when I figured they couldn't possibly have any more. It reminds me of the viral video "Too many cooks". I was singing the song during the entire too long trailer. Maybe the game will be good but it's hard to see how they will balance so many characters.

clembez

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2012
Im actually quite surprised at how bad this looks. Im a big TF2 fan and not saying it cause of that. Might be nice to have something similar with a different perspective. Might actually be fun. To early to tell really. Still looks silly though.

peterp01

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Sure, it looks like a Team Fortress 2 rip off, but then again TF2 is a little long in the tooth by now. Having played TF2 and it's previous incarnations in the Quake and Half Life engines too... I'm up for something fresh and this might just be it. Interesting maps, interesting characters, unique game play/combat per character. Sounds like a fun mash up to me.

comp_builder22586

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
As an attendee of blizzcon (and hence able to play the demo they had there), I have to say this game was a TON of fun. I think it will be much better than TF2, there is already a much greater variety in Heroes and gameplay vs TF.

ib2007

Dec 7, 2011

Looks like we got a Blizzard spokes person in the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.