Blizzard Patches 'Warcraft III,' Offers Modern System Compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgingeri

Distinguished
I just got it installed. (It installed extremely fast!) It works perfectly at 3440X1440, and all lower resolutions were available down to 1024X768, in both 16 bit and 32 bit color.

Interesting. I thought they said they'd never support anything wider than 16:9 in StarCraft II since it was an unfair advantage or something. Guess WCIII doesn't exactly have tournaments or ladders.

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
This is because the movie will be released soon, they are expecting lot of new players trying out old and new games

Mod Edit for Language

ammaross

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
I noticed they have WC3 and D2 in their new Legacy store section. I'm betting they see potential to reuse old code to turn a buck. If it ain't broke, just update it! Loved those old games and know people who still swear D2 is better than D3 or SC1 over SC2, etc.

Cartoonish look, yes, but I think WC3 was the better overall game. More story, the races were drastically different but still balanced, and the heroes added a very nice element.

Dunzaus

Commendable
Feb 21, 2016
Give Warcraft 1 and 2 some updates too and please let me be able to buy them in Blizzard store along with Diablo 2. I must have bought Diablo 2 and the Expansion 10 times because I couldn't find the cd's over and over again.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Just bought Warcraft 3 + the expantion from Blizzard store. Couldn't find the CDs.
Please Blizzard, update the cinematics to x265 high resolution, at least 2K using a nice bitrate, and widescreen support is a must!

chaosmassive

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012
hopefully Blizzard tweaked warcraft III engine, because during 'heavy load' warcraft III can not utilize all resource available (CPU and GPU) causing fps drop
regardless how powerful CPU or GPU are.

LuxZg

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Now if they add Steam and Steam workshop support, and do a sale at 75% off I'd buy these + WC2 as well. Currently at 10$/game + 10/expansion is too much for nostalgia :)

Anyone holding on to old hardware to play WC3 is wasting their time. It didn't need any new patches to run on modern systems. It did lack native support for higher resolutions and things like that, but it ran fine on every version of Windows since it came out, even up to Windows 10 x64.

As was mentioned above, many of the more recently made maps can't even be played on older computers with weaker CPUs because the current maps are just too heavy and being single threaded really doesn't help.

Status
Not open for further replies.