Blizzard President Admits to Botched Diablo 3 Launch

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

halls

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
I never played much of D2, but the consensus among my friends that did seems to be that Diablo 3 simply isn't rewarding enough. Legendaries and set pieces drop too infrequently and the rare (yellow) items are almost always useless for your character, so the auction house becomes the source of your upgrades instead of the monsters dropping loot, which really kills the drive to keep farming. I felt this pretty quickly too and I'm not motivated to play anymore. That being said, I definitely got $60 worth of entertainment out of the game, and if the expansion can solve the problems from the main game, I'll buy it on day one. The gameplay itself is a lot of fun, they just need to stretch out the item hunt some more, add some more interesting affixes, and maybe balance some of the abilities so that they can all be more useful. They're very close to another addicting game.

G

Another pay to play beta...glad I passed on this one and pre-ordered Torchlight 2 and Guild Wars 2 instead.

alceste007

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
I was very disappointed by Diablo 3. The stripping out of character design was pretty bad, but they also made the game pretty boring. Diablo 3 was a phoned in cash grab by Blizzard.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
I just hope that the sales figures encourage more PC-exclusives (or at least "developed for the PC, dumbed down for the console" games), and the eventual decline in active players discourages AH-like stuff and always-online requirements.

hubbs_67

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
"It's patronizing and dangerously Orwellian."

I read that in the comments and didn't know if I should laugh because it's so absurd or to cry because the comment had six thumbs up with other people agreeing with it....

For a laugh I would love to hear any theories on how Diablo 3 is being used to control people through the spreading of propaganda and/or misinformation.

G

A friend had really hyped Diablo 3 to me so I ended up buying it. Beat it on normal with a wizard. Had fun but it was kind of a short game. So then I tried nightmare and found it a lot more difficult, and boring since it was basically the same thing with just tougher monsters. So finally beat nightmare and then tried Hell. Couldn't get very far. I had never used the auction houses, but I have a feeling that's the only way most people can beat the game on Hell and Inferno, especially with a wizard. Seems like all of the gear that drops is either not for my class or not any better than the stuff that dropped on normal and nightmare. By the time I got to Hell level I was still wearing one item from normal.

egmccann

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
[citation][nom]hubbs_67[/nom]"It's patronizing and dangerously Orwellian."I read that in the comments and didn't know if I should laugh because it's so absurd or to cry because the comment had six thumbs up with other people agreeing with it.... For a laugh I would love to hear any theories on how Diablo 3 is being used to control people through the spreading of propaganda and/or misinformation.[/citation]

"It's a great game. You're having fun. You'd have more fun if you gave us money via the auction house." - Actiblizz.

There ya go! ;)

fedelm

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
[citation][nom]hubbs_67[/nom]"It's patronizing and dangerously Orwellian."I read that in the comments and didn't know if I should laugh because it's so absurd or to cry because the comment had six thumbs up with other people agreeing with it.... For a laugh I would love to hear any theories on how Diablo 3 is being used to control people through the spreading of propaganda and/or misinformation.[/citation]

You are missing the point. You are talking about is one type of control, which in the case of a bloody video game does not really apply, does it?

But when a company directs when you play your single player game, then yes. If they are able through any means to prevent you from using your own property (that you paid for)...well...what do you call that?

Limit the scope enough and hopefully you'll see what the poster meant.

I don't know if I made any sense whatsoever though...

SinisterSalad

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
Everyone disappointed with D3 needs to check out Path of Exile's open beta next month. I paid the $15 to be in the closed beta, and have been having a blast with it.

And I preordered TL2 already. :D

Burodsx

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
The bosses in D3 were a laughing stock past normal mode... I was very impressed with Act 1 and 2 bosses, but Act 3 and 4 were garbage. I feel like they could have done a lot better with the last 2 bosses...

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]Zingam[/nom]Diablo II was a shit. Diablo (the original game) was amazing when I played it back in 1997. Diablo II was like a shot of some great drink (Diablo) with lots of added water, lots of water.[/citation]
Must agree that D1 was 1 of the best games ever but that doesn't make D2 bad.

I still have a saved Hellfire profile, last changed 12 years ago xD

spartanmk2

Honorable
May 11, 2012
"utter pleasure in the sales numbers" Hook.
"we will work hard to conquer for future releases" Line.
"we’re committed to delivering an awesome game experience" And sinker.

Status
Not open for further replies.