Blizzard Releases First StarCraft 2 Custom Map

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Free maps? Are you insane blizzard? Wheres the proffit in that? I mean seriously. People will pay $15 on top of full retail for a few maps. The mw series proved that already.

Blizzard sometimes I wonder if you guys aren't junking out on hat magazines like valve

lugalbanda

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
I think the Blizzard model is to wait for the expansion pack to make its extra money. I mean, really, how much would people pay for this map? It seems smart to keep your base happy with a bit of new content every once in a while. Besides, WOW is their insane revenue stream.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]BulkZerker[/nom]Free maps? Are you insane blizzard? Wheres the proffit in that? I mean seriously. People will pay $15 on top of full retail for a few maps. The mw series proved that already. Blizzard sometimes I wonder if you guys aren't junking out on hat magazines like valve[/citation]The amount of work to make this map, vs the amount of work (code, art, models) to produce the map packs for MW are night and day. Heck, everything they had to build this map was already present in the Campaign and the Editor. One man could make it in a relatively short period of time.

With that said, I certainly appreciate the custom map. I am hoping the community will step forward and produce some killer maps like we saw in SC1 - and not just a million flavors of tower defense. I've only seen a few good ones. I really would like a proper remake of the Art of Defense maps. Someone put together a new "Art of Defense" map but its completely different and mostly junk. The beauty of the old AoD was its simplicity, I think we went too far on adding extra paths, lots of empty space, expansion points, etc in the new one.

adonn78

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
It adds a nice challenge as the players must break off their attacks to avoid the lava sflow from killing their army. It prevents rushing and allows players to spend time building up. And the way to win would be to have a sizable fast army that can attack quick, run away and attack again. Thanks so much Blizzard!

hihiman1

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
This map is pretty fun. I think Terran has the advantage here because they can use MULEs and I think they can place their CC closer to the minerals and just lift off, but its still fun.

jordan009

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010

You can make them in single player what are you talking about??

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
I never understood why Star Craft became so popular.. I love RTS games, my favorite being Age Of Mythology and Emperor Battle for Dune. I do play Blizzard Games and they are good, Star Craft just never really got into it.

teodoreh

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
[citation][nom]cletus_slackjawd[/nom]I never understood why Star Craft became so popular.. I love RTS games, my favorite being Age Of Mythology and Emperor Battle for Dune. I do play Blizzard Games and they are good, Star Craft just never really got into it.[/citation]

It's the bloody Koreans..
The play it, like it's an Olympic game! ;)

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Nice to know they release these maps for free, but I think the balance is pretty far off because of Terran MULEs and lift-building abilities.

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
its a reaper map. Not balanced for any of the non teran races. Yet another way to make terrans more imba. I dont believe that blizzard actually publicly released this map under their name.

Its as bad as the new battl.net 2.0. Original battlnet is light years ahead of this POS.

Status
Not open for further replies.