Blizzard Says Single-Player Games are Endangered Species

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

m8r-xjiiil

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
yeez, Bliz is missing the point - a good portion of gamers play MMO type games as single player games cause they have more content than true SP games, that for some odd reason have adopted a model of 15 levels and "that's it", for example, thats why i play SWTOR - i don't care about raid/multiplayer features, nor the other players running there, i play it as a great single player story. And same can be done with WOW/Guildwars etc.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]thecolorblue[/nom]hmm.... what possible motivation would Blizzard have for making such a statement? It couldn't be that there's a PR motivation behind this statement could it?[/citation]

Well, since you clearly don't understand how an interview works. Let me explain it to you. There is one person that asks questions. And then the other person answers the questions. So for example, in this case, someone from the linked website above, asked the question:

"Q: Do you think that the big-budget single-player game is an endangered species at this point? "

And then the guy from Blizzard answered the question. Now, as is typical by the crap news people at THG, they cherry-picked this one question out of a lengthy interview to incite more Blizzard bashing, even though, if you read the whole interview, the guy says a number things of things that make a lot of sense, and the single player thing was a very small and mostly irrelevant part of the interview.

TGT_Gaming

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
[citation][nom]jdwii[/nom]Skyrim oh i guess that is not a big hit either?[/citation]

Skyrim is a horrible game, overhyped piece of crap.

skine

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
Obviously, Blizzard doesn't know how to make a single player game that appeals to gamers.

Just looking on Metacritic, Diablo III got an impressive 8.8 score from critics.

Compare this to the 3.7 it got from users.

Metacritic... only user opinion is worth a damn. Its probable all companies get paied to praise diablo 3. I cant see any decent review system to give a downgraded game like diablo 3 to get a high score.

Jigo

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
[citation][nom]jdwii[/nom]Skyrim oh i guess that is not a big hit either?[/citation]
there's always an exception ;) but Skyrim is powered by predecessors, keep that in mind!

KelvinTy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
If the game actually has a more interesting storyline and is actually worth 6 hours of gameplay without less artificial lengthening... such as lack of fast travel which forces it to become a marathon simulator rather than A GAME...
The shit developers develop with their ridiculous budget with a metric f tonne of bugs and then patch them with a FIRST DAY DLC or Patch to make it work? Seriously, you spend 3mil and it doesn't even work out of the box? and that costs $60? JESUS...

faelol

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
[citation][nom]itchyisvegeta[/nom]"Blizzard Says Single-Player Games are Endangered Species"..... since Activision took control of Blizzard.[/citation]

Blizzard has only ever released multiplayer games since the mid 90s...

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]MAC_HATER[/nom]even if they are an "endangered species" - can a game be a Species? in any case - it doesn't mean cheap out on the bloody things and make them terrible - if anything the reason they are apparently in decline is from terrible games being hurriedly churned out with rushed development and crappy ports![/citation]
Okay, so HAWX2 was that bad but its Ubisoft...what do you want?

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
but i like playing alone , at my own pace to be able to stop when ever, or waste time on what ever i want and not have someone yell at you for any of those :D

jabliese

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Lighten up guys. Diablo III fell flat on it's face, so of course AAA single player games are a dying breed. We all know it's not Blizzard's fault.

genz

Distinguished
This article is not for us gamers. It's for investors. Blizzard, as one of the richest games companies in the world, is just using the news to angle for more share buyers.

Investors listen to the people with the money, if they say MMO's are the future, most investors won't care enough about their track record, they will just throw some money into blizzard, just in case they are right.

genz

Distinguished
This article is not for us gamers. It's for investors. Blizzard, as one of the richest games companies in the world, is just using the news to angle for more share buyers.

Investors listen to the people with the money, if they say MMO's are the future, most investors won't care enough about their track record, they will just throw some money into blizzard, just in case they are right.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
[citation][nom]assasin32[/nom]I think that was the point EA is where companies go to die off after they lose the will to produce anything good.[/citation]
Oh, my bad.

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
Of course it's an endangered species. With F@@ktards like Blizzard making everything online. Unless I'm at a LAN party with friends I prefer to play all my games single player and be able to save and pick up whenever.

spartanmk2

Honorable
May 11, 2012
I for one am glad that Command & Conquer Generals 2 will have a single player campaign. If it didnt, I would not bother with that game.

XZaapryca

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]Sorry, that is most certainly not the definition of skill. For one thing, Ozruk isn't a raid boss as Stonecore is a 5 person. Not that it matters, only means he has far fewer mechanics to worry about. All you do is cast a damage over time spell when his Bulwark is up so you don't get frozen. It's pure memorization, not skill.And comparing it to what a fighter pilot does is sheer ignorance. A fighter pilot has to be trained how to handle unexpected situations, not to mention they fight a real person who is doing things that aren't scripted to happen at certain times. An F-18 pilot is can't go by "This Iranian pilot is going to bank left when he takes 25% damage".[/citation]
When did I say "raid boss"? When did I say "playing WoW is like being a fighter pilot"? I was saying that video games are easy, mildly amusing, time wasters and not really an activity where one would be proud of their skill...like flying an F18 or fighting (and beating) Jet Li. You COMPLETELY misunderstood my original post, but I was probably insufficiently clear.

WoW = BF3 = Angry Birds = Skyrim, they're all the same and don't require any real skill. So to argue that one doesn't require skill is redundant (aka WoW) and the implication that some other video game does is simply wrong.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
Well I guess I'd mildly disagree... hand-eye coordination is a skill and to be REALLY good at twitch games requires gobs of it. So action games that require timing do require a certain skill level... but I'd agree that most games don't require skill, rather they require time and persistence.

So in your list I'd take BF3 out... you can muddle through without skill be you won't ever be competitive. WoW, Angry Birds, and Skyrim I'd agree though - they're fun games and may require a little thought on occasion... but they're not really skill builders.

G

Yea that`s true, thru Blizzard arrogancy they don`t know how to make good singleplayer game in last years (see Diablo III)

Status
Not open for further replies.