Blizzard Sold $2M Of Virtual Livestock in 4 Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
This is just an in-game item that screams, "look at me, I paid money so you'll think I'm cool!" It hardly ruins the game - it's just a mount. I've heard there are a few others available.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Clearly if a purchased item gives a player any kind of competitive advantage over other players without said item, then it is a violation of the spirit of a MMORPG.

dxwarlock

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
[citation][nom]restatement3dofted[/nom]This is just an in-game item that screams, "look at me, I paid money so you'll think I'm cool!" It hardly ruins the game - it's just a mount. I've heard there are a few others available.[/citation]
exactly, all I see it as is an easy way to find the people with too much of a WoW addiction, because they are spending money on items that do nothing other than point out they are people with too much of a WoW addiction..haha

G

Hell yeah I would. See ya later losers with too much time on their hands. Get a job and you could actually pay for the same pathway I would.

dameon51

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
The top dogs at blizzard are probably sleeping in beds of money. And if they ever need anymore more for some reason they can create another $25 tomogachi.

restatement3dofted

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]You might as well be printing money, real fiat money for some ones and zeros wow isn't life just swell and yes I play wow full time due to 30% unemployment in my area.[/citation]

Maybe if you spent your time farming for a job instead of gold, you could make a dent in your area's unemployment. Just a thought.

G

express lane?! LOL... the game is surprising easy to get great gear, etc... with the new randoms, you get frost badges and T9 with the older badges, just fall in the casual players lap... I geared my new 80 with a gear score of 4900 in two weeks of hitting 80 with just random runs. Now I am in 10man ICC with other casual players getting even better gear... it is all too easy.

geminireaper

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
ive used real money to further myself in past mmos and ill do the same. Why? because of my demanding job i dont have the time to play in the game but I still like to compete. Ive got the money to spend. others donate there time. I donate my money.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
supernatural warhorse also travels at 310-percent speed if players own at least one other 310-percent mount.

If that's the case, then i hardly call this taking the express lane because you already have an equal mount.

it's just for vanity.

dgingeri

Distinguished
[citation][nom]restatement3dofted[/nom]This is just an in-game item that screams, "look at me, I paid money so you'll think I'm cool!" It hardly ruins the game - it's just a mount. I've heard there are a few others available.[/citation]
I don't consider it a "look at me, I paid money so you'll think I'm cool!" item. Yeah, it would help with the progress in the game, since the character wouldn't have to pay for the mount itself, just the riding skill, to get each mount level. Yeah, this doesn't save much, but it does save some. (Yes, I play the game. It's also the only game I have spent money on in the last 5 years.)

Also, I wouldn't pay for it just so others would think I look cool. I could care less what most of these mouth breathers think of how I look. I care about how well I can tank. However, in this case, if I were to have a spare $25, I would buy this just because I think it looks cool.

It is fine with me if you want to focus a game on micro-transactions or on a monthly subscription fee as I know what I'm getting into from the start. The problem is when traditional subscription games start ramming the microtransactions into the game as well. As soon as SOE's SWG did that, I was out. You are diluting the bulk of the player base in the long term for short term profits. 2M is really peanuts, even in 4 hours considering that what.... almost 30 million people are paying 15 bucks a month, every month, to login to WoW? Someone can check my numbers as I don't have a reference, it's just what I heard.

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
Players are annoyed that Blizzard are making it possible to buy your way through the game, but thats always been possible one way or another. Blizzard dont do nearly enough to stop gold farmers. Its one of the many reasons why WOW sucks.
I'm got put off of WOW because Blizzard keep making stupid decisions such as removing skills I already earnt and continually dumbing the game down and making it easier. It sucks when you see a newbie immediately get stuff that took you months of effort to get. And why do they keep forcing more and more gameplay where players have to team up all the time? I hate that and want a game I can still play well at on my own when I don't feel like being social.

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Bizzard is the Obama administration of MMORPGs:

Just print whatever money we want and pay no heed to the working class we're supposed to be serving.

robcope1965

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
I bought the celestial steed because I can afford to blow 25 bucks and I am trying to collect all the mounts in the game. It changes nothing as far as competition goes, just makes it a little more fun. If they start releasing something every week or start allowing players to buy stuff to get ahead of other players, I'm out. I am concerned thay may do just that, so I hope all WoW players pay close attention, because I do believe Blizzard is flirting with the idea of selling more items.

Pets and mounts are no big deal, but beyond that I am concered,

gwellin

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
This is just a stepping stone for Blizz. If a lot of people start buying these items they might think that people can afford a larger subscription fee.

cagonzal

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
[citation][nom]iggii[/nom]express lane?! LOL... the game is surprising easy to get great gear, etc... with the new randoms, you get frost badges and T9 with the older badges, just fall in the casual players lap... I geared my new 80 with a gear score of 4900 in two weeks of hitting 80 with just random runs. Now I am in 10man ICC with other casual players getting even better gear... it is all too easy.[/citation]

umm, what're u talking about?

G

Although i do not play Wow, i don't believe that this will affect game play
directly and certainly not progression. But more so indirectly since the steed
allows the user to travel to area's that are inaccessible to the average player
so they can harvest rares and sell them for gold so that they can purchase items that will improve there gaming vs PVE. But it's a sad day indeed when people that have already payed for the game will not have access to some of there game environment just because they have to pay more money. But like i said it will not affect progression, from what i here the game is so easy you can get to max level in a day.

kujiro44

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
This mount has nothing to do with 'getting an edge.' It's fluff. Admittedly, it's a lot easier to swallow when you put that next to the $900 Spectral Tiger mount... now -that- was ridiculous.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]dameon51[/nom]The top dogs at blizzard are probably sleeping in beds of money. And if they ever need anymore more for some reason they can create another $25 tomogachi.[/citation]

If it wasn't for the digital transfers, they would probably weight their money instead of counting it like Pablo Escobar and others. Anyway MMORPGs are tomorrows cocaine which is a good thing, it means more girls for me.

Ill take a slut over a celestial steed for 25$, it cost the same but in alcoholic beverages.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
i view it as buying convenience, instead of having to macro things for land and flying use, I just hot key one thing for the steed, it may be a smaller impact come cata with the flying mounts, but meh i have the cash to blow for now and it does not really put me ahead of any one else short of a macro config.

Status
Not open for further replies.