Blizzard Swinging Banhammer on Diablo 3 Cheaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Greater Good

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
[citation][nom]cumi2k4[/nom]welcome to the era of new gaming...where you can play anyway you want, as long as it's according to our way....[/citation]

Cheating/hacking in games is cheap and they should be banned.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]evismang[/nom]To be fair, 10k is a small percentage of all the people playing.[/citation]
He didn't say it was only 10,000 total. He said it was 10,000 by traditional methods. And he is only a one hacker.

Let's be honest, so far we have had duping, which was suppose to be impossible, multitudes of hacks, even to accounts with authenticators, likely due to proxy attacks exploiting the athentication gimp Blizzard themselves created.

And because of the RMAH what incentive does Blizzard have to kick off those with bots? If a ton of account bots are selling a ton of items on the RMAH and Activision Blizzard is making a lot of money from it, there is no incentive for them to end the acitvity.

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
[citation][nom]aoneone[/nom]I'm so glad i didnt pay 60 bucks ^_^ I'm still waiting on skidrows diablo 3. Sigh...[/citation]

Hope you don't mind waiting up to a year or longer, like it took for WoW piracy to finally get it together. D3 works similar to WoW where most of the game content is handled server side so you literally need to be connected to their servers to be able to play even single player.

The only way D3 will be hacked/pirated is the same way as with WoW - private hacked servers hosting the game for pirates. This isn't going to come in the form of a simple crack (like with Ubisoft's simple DRM check cracks), it's going to take a while for any release group to hack Blizzard's official servers and develop a proper server emulator, like with WoW.

And Skidrow of all groups? Don't hold your breath.

G

Instead of working harder to fix many D3 issues they are talking the cop-out ban hammer way. This will
only hurt the legit players that got their accounts compromised by haxs that will violate the eula

booyaah

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
[citation][nom]magicandy[/nom]Hope you don't mind waiting up to a year or longer, like it took for WoW piracy to finally get it together. D3 works similar to WoW where most of the game content is handled server side so you literally need to be connected to their servers to be able to play even single player. The only way D3 will be hacked/pirated is the same way as with WoW - private hacked servers hosting the game for pirates. This isn't going to come in the form of a simple crack (like with Ubisoft's simple DRM check cracks), it's going to take a while for any release group to hack Blizzard's official servers and develop a proper server emulator, like with WoW.And Skidrow of all groups? Don't hold your breath.[/citation]

Sorry but your opinion is just not accurate. Most of the work is done client side, one just needs to know the proper response codes that need to be sent back from the server for the client to recognize them properly in order to know what to do next. Once you get into and figure out how the network stream works a majority of the rest of it is just tedious, redundant boilerplate work. All you needed was a legit client/server account to analyze the traffic.

There were private hacked servers for WoW in during beta before vanilla came out...probably easily a dozen different groups with their own server which usually could hold 1-2k people simultaneously.

Vanilla beta client was getting patched every week or so and it would usually only take a day or two to for the groups to figure out how to adapt their emulated server to the new changes. I think making the initial startup server code from scratch usually took ~2 months. Obviously the quality and bandwidth of these servers was not that great (i.e. not 100% of combat features implemented), and the user database usually would be wiped after each patch.

It really just comes down to the amount of people in the group working on the server emulator and having the right people for all the areas (encryption, memory analysis, udp/networking, etc). I would imagine people have already been developing emulators for D3 since early beta. They probably exist, they just don't advertise them to avoid drawing too much attention.

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
It's extremely simple. The people selling gold ingame (advertising) are usually the ones farming. I mean are you serious? I hope Bliz gets it right, because as important as the AH is in the game this has a serious impact on gameplay.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
That Blizzard is planning on banning cheaters mercilessly is a very good thing. The prices on the auction house are skyrocketing to the point where you can't get a decent item for under several million.

The most gold I've ever had is around 270,000 and I've reached the equivalent of lvl 60 two and a half times. I'm sorry, but there is no way people have 30+ million gold already without cheating or selling items for ridiculously high prices. No way.

Show no mercy, ban all the cheaters. All I'm asking for is to be able to buy a 1300+ dmg one handed weapon with decent stats for under 100,000 gold - is that too much to ask?

officeguy

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
[citation][nom]cumi2k4[/nom]welcome to the era of new gaming...where you can play anyway you want, as long as it's according to our way....[/citation] Their way is not cheating/botting/hacks. Obviously I don't like your way if you think that.

brett1042002

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
[citation][nom]cumi2k4[/nom]welcome to the era of new gaming...where you can play anyway you want, as long as it's according to our way....[/citation]

Pretty sure anti-cheat software has been running in some games for at least 10 years now. Punkbuster anyone? Nothing "new" about it.

Why would you want to play games running rampant with cheaters/hackers?

Crush3d

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
[citation][nom]Pherule[/nom]That Blizzard is planning on banning cheaters mercilessly is a very good thing. The prices on the auction house are skyrocketing to the point where you can't get a decent item for under several million.The most gold I've ever had is around 270,000 and I've reached the equivalent of lvl 60 two and a half times. I'm sorry, but there is no way people have 30+ million gold already without cheating or selling items for ridiculously high prices. No way.Show no mercy, ban all the cheaters. All I'm asking for is to be able to buy a 1300+ dmg one handed weapon with decent stats for under 100,000 gold - is that too much to ask?[/citation]

That is a bit much to ask.. considering a 1300 DPS 1-hander is nearly the highest DPS 1-hand weapon around.. 100k? LOL. Yeah.. the highest DPS weapons should be attainable after an hour or so of farming. Right.

waxdart

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]jalek[/nom]I thought this was the whole idea of making a single-player game an online-only piece of garbage.[/citation]

I need a bigger thumbs up icon to click on. It's a huge inconvenience. Just to control the after sales market. If people want to go on line as sell junk to other, fine - have at it. On the other hand, I want to play this game all alone - for an embarrassing amount of time. I'd make the hours clocked in Skyrim look moderate. But alas, I'll give this game a miss, which is a shame.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
[citation][nom]aoneone[/nom]I'm so glad i didnt pay 60 bucks ^_^ I'm still waiting on skidrows diablo 3. Sigh...[/citation]

maybe when diablo 3 will go into abandoneware:p

buddhabelly34

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
[citation][nom]Pherule[/nom]That Blizzard is planning on banning cheaters mercilessly is a very good thing. The prices on the auction house are skyrocketing to the point where you can't get a decent item for under several million.The most gold I've ever had is around 270,000 and I've reached the equivalent of lvl 60 two and a half times. I'm sorry, but there is no way people have 30+ million gold already without cheating or selling items for ridiculously high prices. No way.Show no mercy, ban all the cheaters. All I'm asking for is to be able to buy a 1300+ dmg one handed weapon with decent stats for under 100,000 gold - is that too much to ask?[/citation]
For that DPS? That is a lot to ask. Although the gold collection rate is absolutely abysmal. I'm not sure why I even picked your post to comment on.

I asked for a refund and I am so happy that Blizzard gave it to me. Honestly, the game wasn't that bad, but RMAH literally fucked the game to death. It made the economy far too unstable. It also made the game a grind fest, one where all you are doing is rolling for random stats. Having to grind hundreds of thousands of gold to get a piece of gear to hopefully get some progress is absolutely retarded. And that is only Hell (act 3/4). I didn't bother getting to inferno because of the apparent brick wall that is Act 2. No need to frustrate myself further.

I'm all for farming, but not when you are required to be level 60 to farm. It means your first character is in a shitty spot in Hell when they are 60.

That being said, after a few solid patches the game might bounce back for me (and I'd have no problem starting over). The pay-to-wi... er RMAH is still an issue. We shall see.

Dragoon21b

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
Speaking as someone who has had their WoW account hacked I don't have a problem with them banning people. It's stuff I worked for virtual or not. If someone hacked my bank account they would go to jail and since real money is involved here I thing the comparison is fair. Getting banned is a mild punishment comparatively.

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
I haven't had any trouble getting through Hell with gear I picked up either that dropped in my games or I bought with gold I got in my games without gold find gear on. Come on, people, it's not hard.

When it comes to Inferno, sure you end up doing some farming but I was able to get through Act 2 with minimal headache (with Belial being the real skill-check at the end) and am starting Act 3, all without farming for hours like buddhabelly34 was talking about. You're not required to be 60 to farm anything, nor are you required to farm at all. Get as far in as you can, nudge a little further if you want, then start another character.

Come on, man, that's what Diablo 2 was all about when it came to the 3 skill levels. You are not required to do anything but have fun. If you don't have fun because you're unable to handle a real challenge in Inferno or even Hell for that matter then please do get a refund and, in the words of the great Arnold Schwarzenegger, "Stop whining." Get out of our game and quit making it not fun.

beetlejuicegr

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
reaching act 2 of inferno difficulty proved to me that people who sell 60lvl items of act 3 inferno level are either insanely pro or are insanely hackers who farmed gear there with hacks and sell the good items for millions, it happened so early in the game/.... There is now way for these people to have farmed act 3 or end inferno places already in 1 week and having such a good drop chance..there is something wrong here...
or i am such a useless gamer the last 25 years :p that all my "achievements" in games of fps and rpg are nothing compared to these guys!
anyway, there are hackers and cheaters already in D3, i just hope this wont increase in quantity and be dealt with often

serendipiti

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Interesting on the legal side.
I suppose that Blizzard can go behind farmers (which should pass the maximum value that is cosidered purloin: which in fact becomes a "real world" crime).
The same thing happens to taxes.
Finally, not sure if they can ban your account (which equals to removing what you paid for, without any trial...) so happily (at least not without some money back for the game)...
Anytime you could argue you earn your wage playing Diablo...

RyQril

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
why would a chinese do that??? i mean chinese love money and theres no way he would talk about it and make warning for blizzard and players, dafuq
i begin to doubt this is blizzard work not a chinese lol

Status
Not open for further replies.