Blizzard Talks Titan, WoW Subs Loss to Star Wars: TOR

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

herniter

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]WoW now is 8 bosses over and over if your mostly intressted in PvE, its frankly boooooring! Considering they get about 120MIL $ each MONTH from the subscribtions alone i think the end content is way to small.[/citation]

Not everyone pays 15$ a month, tons pay less, some pay by the hour which is still considered a sub.

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
I tried the 7 day free trial of SWTOR, it took 2 days to download and only 10 minutes after picking my toon to stop playing it, its not my style of play and wish them the best.

Temp_Username

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
I like SWTOR its a great MMORPG and will continue to evolve. WOW did not have as much content as SWTOR has in the beginning so I can see why they are bleeding subscribers.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]They could make more instances with the same setup (rf, normal and heroic), no need to make it very hardcore. Fun that you mention it - played everquest in a hardcore guild (6 raids week with 90% minimum attendance) and its no need for wow to go to that - The keying in eq (Vex Thal or Anguish for instance) alone was a pain.Wow need more content! Doing the eight over and over with the only thing to look forward is the same gear but with higher itemlevel not even bothered to call them something else. I think they have become to lazy as of late and been taking the subscribers that pays the 120mil$ per month for granted. I hope they shape it up, its a good game at the core - just to little content.[/citation]

i get what you are saying, never went for rain myself, just group content as i hated the way lower end guilds handled raids

but in wow, you have to factor in the servers to the equation, any other game, servers cost 10-30$ a month, but mmos are a bit different. wow specifically has to handle something around 1 million+ people playing at the same time, i would love to know how much the servers really cost to run because you are right, they make a crap ton a month from that alone.

more recent everquest expantions have 2 teirs of loot that drops from enemies, its only about 1% better at most, but it has a different look and name, is that what you are looking for on wow items?

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
Oh look, a bunch of stupid nerds debating about MMOs...Playing that kind of stuff is such a waste of time, let alone talk about it...

Madhatter4

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2005
Star Wars TOR is TERRIBLE.... you always have that stupid AI companion with you that manages to piss off every mob in sight.... Back to Lotro 4 me

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]billybobser[/nom]'Waiting for Mists of Pandaria' If that is supposed to save wow, they are in worse shape than I thought.Despite Warcraft ripping off Lotr/Warhammer story wise, it used to have a decent amount of depth, but it's turning into some rediculous child level anime.[/citation]

The title 'Mist of Pandaria' doesn't sound too adult...lol. MMO devs in general have a difficult time trying to make their MMO actually fun. Another funny thing is that there is a base of players that find a level of enjoyment grinding, grinding for power levels, gear, gold, etc. Most players find it boring over an amount of time but those grinders tend to stick around an MMO and devs love them for it! This is why MMos are in large part gringfests by nature. WoW so far has come the closest to making an MMO fun to play and why it still dominates the MMO market.

horaciopz

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
WoW Mis of Pandaria looked like a joke, but when i read in mmochampion about the just released news about the game it kind impressed me. Well I guess that I will be playing WoW untill i die :D lol

clivene09

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
[citation][nom]pacioli[/nom]It seems like MoP will be a welcomed return to many of the things that made vanilla WoW so great.[/citation]
Except the continued backward steps of the talent system.

G

Burned out now on LOTRO, 4 yrs in and the grind has got to me! Killing STO quickly, they need to content that up a lot quicker, but then PEW PEW is fun!

No the real trial for all MMOG out there will be Guild Wars 2. It is building to be a fantastic MMO, changing the way we think of persistant online gaming, with movement at its core and no monthly subscription for the WHOLE 100% Deal.

I am purchasing two copies immediately as it arrives!

Slowly all Blizzard is doing is killing the game, TBC marked the high point while WOTLK was still very very good but cata pretty much threw the wrench into the engine. I have my doubt that Mists will turn things around even if it is better than cata the damage might already be done. Blizzard almost constantly keeps making poor decisions and once in a while a good one or two but only with mixed results.

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]Slowly all Blizzard is doing is killing the game, TBC marked the high point while WOTLK was still very very good but cata pretty much threw the wrench into the engine. I have my doubt that Mists will turn things around even if it is better than cata the damage might already be done. Blizzard almost constantly keeps making poor decisions and once in a while a good one or two but only with mixed results.[/citation]
I agree. Plus today there's more variety of these type of online games. There's more options for people to choose and plenty of F2P games - some of the biggest ones are F2P now, like EQ, Aion, Warhammer, etc. WoW is just gonna die a slow death as people move on to other games, it's an old game, it's become boring, etc. It's time to let it rest.

techy74

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
People need to relax. people play wow because it's fun and they enjoy. If they didn't they wouildn't play. The game is 7 + years old. A lot of players come and go. The game is great and has evolved some much in that time. 10M 'subs' is still a lot!

1Freak

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
When MMORPG(s) start making it "Easier" to level, it kills the game. People spend months leveling and building characters in the game, and then a year later it takes days instead of months to make the same progress. It's happened in every MMORPG I've played, and ruined everyone of them. Sure some things take less time because many of the quests have been completed previously. However, when the XP required to level is reduce it ruins the game for all of those people who spent the time grinding it out. I'm not sure if this is some strange buisness model for MMORPG(s), but it seems to kill the games rather than getting more users.

G

I've been playing WOW for quite a while, since early BC, and have played online games all the way back to BBS systems and "Red Dragon", if anyone else remembers that. WOW's issues were always present, the disappointment of Cata merely made them worse. Face facts, Cata simply didn't add anything to the game content, it gave high levels that aren't raiders nothing to do at all, not even PVP because a raiding guild would always rule PVP. They took a game with fun in crafting items and in regular PVP wars and various other things in WOTLK and changed it to "you either suck or you grind raids". Not everyone likes grinding raids. My WOW account is still "active" but it isn't played much, in fact it's gone as long as four months untouched. I have not looked at firelands content, don't intend to, and actively avoid it because the raider culture is so bad. Frankly the raid culture went from Ok in WOTLK to absolutely toxic in Cata. If it stays that bad, MOP will be a total failure. If raiders can misbehave to the max and there is nothing to do but raid, then nobody will play but the extreme raiders, and they'll quit when nobody is there that cares. I will be absolutely blunt here, if the end game in MOP is nothing but more raids, then I will not continue in WOW. There are other ways to develop a game. Raids are not the end all and be all of multiplayer gaming.

rogbur22

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2011
Started playing WoW in 2004. Still play WoW. During that time I have tried, Everquest, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Lord of the Rings online, Rift, Was in the Beta for SWTOR and in the release of SWTOR and Star Trek Online

I quit all of them except WoW. I play alot of other non MMO games but WoW is my only MMO. Now if the Fallout universe ever made it to MMO that could probably pull me away from WoW. !!! LOL

earthmama

Honorable
May 20, 2012
Does anyone here actually RP any of these games? I grind to get to a level there's a way to travel other than by foot. Cut my teeth on City of Heroes way back when (speaking of free play), same approach with WOW; levels came along, but game content was anything we wanted it to be, and always truly fun!
Now, even more so with SWTOR- being able to bring a story that I've basically grown up with into fantasy, it's crazy-fun. Mind you, a "reality based" fantasy (coming from a movie), SWTOR vs. Blizzard's ridiculous attempt to enrich WOW's content with Panda's- Pandas. Really? Come on! Where did that come from? If I can play an Undead Priest Panda, now that might be worth going back for. Until then, my $15 a month are paying for my to slip past the Republic Guard to do away with those whiny Jedi. (of course that will change as soon as is released!!!)

G

I did this experiment:
I started a trial on SWTOR with one of their weekend passes and played a character until level 6. Then I started a WoW trial and played to level 6. Then I went back to SWTOR and leveled to 10... and I didn't return to WoW anymore.

G

SWTOR was great for a while. Then it got a little boring.

Which is why I went to WoW.

For one thing, I know people who play it, like experts that have taught a good percentage on my view and knowledge of WoW.

My advice: Unless you are a friendly person, don't talk to people you don't really know. I know that somewhat ruins the aspect of an MMO. But, people can be douches. I hope you know that. That bullying, fighting, and whatever else, is what ruins people playing the game: the community. The greatest of games, can have the worse community, which is what ruins WoW in a way.

Other than that, the game has lot's of potential. It is of the first of it's kind of game. It was the first to have massive amounts of content that had people beg for more.

That's when people started giving up and complaining.

It's like another game I know. Roblox. It has corrupted admins and a horrible community. But it was a good game when it came to content.

I'm not comparing WoW to Roblox. That's like comparing Asia to a walrus. They aren't alike. But what I've seen with some parts of WoW, it reminds me of roblox from time to time.

A majority of the internet doesn't belive in these things for an MMO going downhill:

Faith

and Second chances.

Like bettlejuicegr said, "WoW is the first love.." Because it is. The second for some if any.

G

My very first MMo was Everquest. I remember playing that game and having fun because it was hard and when you made mistakes it made you pay for it. I remember trying to get to my body because I died right on top of a camp of creatures. I remember loosing a level because I died a lot. I also remember IT WAS HARD!

Then They started to make it easy. Then we changed to Wow and they made it even easier. When you died it did not cost you anything. You woke up with full armor. Leveling was easy you could almost do it alone. Then there was so many upgrades and new cap that the entire vanilla game became obsolete. What's the point of a game if a few years down the road everything you first created is dead?

I played this game for a very long time. And yes it's way to boring now. Most games are made for idiots. If it's hard to achieve anything is changed so it's simple. I'm not paying for an easy MMO anymore. I want a hard MMO and since it's not bound to happen anytime soon I guess I won't be playing any.

I wish a real game made for real men (women) not for idiots.

Status
Not open for further replies.