Blizzard to Release Diablo III Patch to Fix Design Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

kareed44

Honorable
May 30, 2012
Blizzard does a really good job at addressing issues like this (bugs, balance issues, etc...). They seems to listen to their user's feedback (positive and negative) and make educated decisions on what to change, if anything needs changing at all. They may not be perfect, but I challenge anyone to name a game developer who does it better. They get hammered and flamed by people constantly but when your the best at what you do there are always going to be haters.

guruofchem

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Agree with kareed44 - they do seem to work pretty hard to make adjustments, without simply slapping crap on and hoping it works. They may not be ideal, since ideal would be a flawless game at release and there will never be such an animal, but they are better than anyone else I have seen in a lot of years of gaming.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
The developers felt that legendary items were good in comparison to the lower level tiers when comparing levels and explained that legendary items from a lower level are obviously not going to be comparable to a higher level special or rare item. Thus, they’re not tweaking any settings with the legendary items.

This is just flat out 100% incorrect, wrong, and not true.

Blizzard posted this on their game design update (in fact it was one of the main points they posted):
we’re planning to just straight-out buff Legendary items in a future patch

Please do better when posting articles like this so you don't accidentally misinform someone.

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Their "DRM" is just the side effect of them not releasing their server code. I don't neccessarily agree with the decision, but a 'primarily' online game where most of the long term community is composed of online multiplayer gamers, they are playing the long game here by removing some of the risk of item duping schemes.
If you can access the server code to play single player/lan from your PC, it's only a matter of time before someone reverse engineers it to find an exploit, once the duping-genie is out of the bottle, it's pretty difficult to put back. My assumption is that this is exactly how duping occurred in Diablo2, and they made the change to prevent it from occuring in diablo3.

Complain about DRM all you want, it likely had little to do with piracy prevention, SP/LAN is just an innocent bystander in a quest against hacks.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Wow, what were they doing back in beta? So many changes so quickly after launch. I would have expected them to catch all this stuff back in beta -- that's what they're fore! I know they're trying hard to say that good abilities aren't being nerfed just because they're good, but that's the same line the Battlefail 3 developers told us over and over when they ruined perfectly good weapons to make others shine. It's a never-ending shell game. You just need to figure out what has the best stats after a patch, everyone winds up using it, and then that gets nerfed too. I don't like this type of patching. Glad I avoided Diablo 3.

kareed44

Honorable
May 30, 2012
DroKing - I'm not saying I like the DRM, but I do understand the need for it. They are protecting themselves from thieves. Regardless of what you think of the company or the game itself, they put in a lot of work to put out Diablo 3 and intend to receive compensation for it, just like every other person who has a job. Blizzard doesn't owe anyone anything (even though it seems clear that they work hard to appease their customers). They have a product that cost X amount. Take it or leave it.

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Games are one of the few venues that have no alternative way to make money...

Music - concerts
Movies - the theather
TV - commercials

Video games make everything from copies sold.

with that said, Diablo 3 to me is a little disappointing based on blizzard standards
is still a solid game, but i expected more with blizzard
better story, better concept of items/gear/reasons to play with other people
basically, everything borderlands has

biggiebody

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
[citation][nom]mobrocket[/nom]Games are one of the few venues that have no alternative way to make money...Music - concertsMovies - the theatherTV - commercialsVideo games make everything from copies sold.with that said, Diablo 3 to me is a little disappointing based on blizzard standards is still a solid game, but i expected more with blizzardbetter story, better concept of items/gear/reasons to play with other peoplebasically, everything borderlands has[/citation]

No alternative way? Apparently you have never played a F2P, or how about the fact that blizzard will be making money off their auction house. There are plenty of alternative way to make money other than copies sold.

"Fans have also complained that Diablo III significantly altered rare and legendary loot to the point that they no longer were quite as hard to encounter and special as they were in Diablo II. "
Really?
I haven't found ANY...
NOT 1 legendary item.
(I have 2 characters and although I'm not very far into the game I figure I should have found at least 1 by now.)

Rare on the other hand I typically find 1 or 2 each time I play and DO indeed seem more common than they were in Diablo II.

[citation][nom]aoneone[/nom]aha im glad i didnt waste 60 bucks on diablo 3. I'm waiting on skidrows diablo 3 ^_^ thumbs up if u agree! ^_^[/citation]
Says the guy that's never played it... I actually think it's well worth the money I paid.
Piracy is illegal so I hope you get caught. At only $60 your just being a cheapa$$ and not thinking about how much entertainment it can bring you.

New movie $10 - $20 = 2 hours of entertainment
$5 - $10 per hour

New game $60 = I've already put in well over 16 hours and will likely put in well over 100
@ 100hrs it's $.60 per hour

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
[citation][nom]kareed44[/nom]DroKing - I'm not saying I like the DRM, but I do understand the need for it. They are protecting themselves from thieves. Regardless of what you think of the company or the game itself, they put in a lot of work to put out Diablo 3 and intend to receive compensation for it, just like every other person who has a job. Blizzard doesn't owe anyone anything (even though it seems clear that they work hard to appease their customers). They have a product that cost X amount. Take it or leave it.[/citation]

You cant possibly believe in that lame ass excuse. DRM is not a good excuse at all because it only harm the CONSUMERS! wake up already bunch of sheeples.

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Wish there were a edit button, But I already made my decision Kareed44 by refusing to buy Any products from Blizzard after Wc3 aka WoW/Sc2/D3. bunch of worthless DRM infected games. I even wont buy Activision/Ubisoft/Rockstar/EA's games. They are all TRASH.

kareed44

Honorable
May 30, 2012
[citation][nom]DroKing[/nom]You cant possibly believe in that lame ass excuse. DRM is not a good excuse at all because it only harm the CONSUMERS! wake up already bunch of sheeples.[/citation]

What goal would they fulfill harming their consumers? Do you think they just slapped on the DRM to piss people who will potentially give them money in the future? As much as you probably believe it, the Big Bad Blizzard isn't out to ruin your day.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
I'm looking forward to the lowered price of upgrading the Artisans and such. It was much cheaper to go buy a gem from the AH (when it was working) than to combine or even remove them gems. Also, I quickly found that it was more cost effective to sell those blues and yellows and buy the mats from the AH. Hopefully the tweaks are for the best. I'm having a good time. I understand the server issues are frustrating to many, but they are laughable to me. Not because they are insignificant or inconvenient, but because I find it comical that they are having so many problems. I know they'll get it all sorted out eventually. :D

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]mobrocket[/nom]Games are one of the few venues that have no alternative way to make money...Music - concertsMovies - the theatherTV - commercialsVideo games make everything from copies sold.with that said, Diablo 3 to me is a little disappointing based on blizzard standards is still a solid game, but i expected more with blizzardbetter story, better concept of items/gear/reasons to play with other peoplebasically, everything borderlands has[/citation]

That was the old model. Copies sold. Just like the old model of movies was the theater only...

The new model is a combination of subscription fees and micro-transactions...

So while in the past I would have agreed with you, the current reality is games have plenty of 'alternate' ways of making money...

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
D III is a great game. loads of fun. But when you can't enjoy the single player game because of server issue. it just peeves ppl off. But I understand why they have done it as well. To stop pirating. I guess it would be like keeping your WiFi un-protected with a password. Everyone would use it!!!!

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]ern88[/nom]D III is a great game. loads of fun. But when you can't enjoy the single player game because of server issue. it just peeves ppl off. But I understand why they have done it as well. To stop pirating. I guess it would be like keeping your WiFi un-protected with a password. Everyone would use it!!!![/citation]

Except the game will just be cracked if it isn't already and people will just play the pirated version anyways. Always online DRM was tribed by Ubisoft already and failed miserably only bringing issues to the legit consumer and not the pirate. So with D3 anytime server issues arise the pirates will be happy while the legit consumer will be without a game to play.

kareed44

Honorable
May 30, 2012
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]Except the game will just be cracked if it isn't already and people will just play the pirated version anyways. Always online DRM was tribed by Ubisoft already and failed miserably only bringing issues to the legit consumer and not the pirate. So with D3 anytime server issues arise the pirates will be happy while the legit consumer will be without a game to play.[/citation]
So developers should give up trying to protect themselves because their efforts are futile? With this logic, why even make the game?

Scenario 1: Blizzard spends millions to make a game. They accept that its going to get pirated despite any effort of theirs, so they abandon anti-pirating techniques (DRM). They release their game. Less and less people buy the game because they can get it for free. Blizzard makes little profit, and cant afford to make any more games. A lot of people miss out...

I'm intentionally over exaggerating to make a point, but the fact that people are going to pirate anyway shouldn't deter the game developers from combating them. The pirates are the issue, everything else is just a side effect.
No pirates = no DRM = no paying customers being punished by game company trying to protect itself

G

Complaint about always online DRM*

*Hasn't been offline since 1998.

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
Watch as ActivisionBlizzard recoup D3's development costs from the Real money auction house in the form of fees within a year or two

Status
Not open for further replies.