Blizzard's New Gig is a 'Freemium' Card Trading Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

w0_od

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
it will end up like p2w as card packs will likely be avaliable for purchase and there will be "rare " or " premium " cards which are superior to "common " cards and /o allow the creation of decks or themes which are more efficient than normal ones.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
Real Life collectible card games are a ripoff... but at least you get little pieces of paper for the outrageous amount you pay. This looks like the next logical step... you get a few bytes on some server that are 'yours' (as long as you don't piss off Blizzard and they decide not to drop the game) for the outrageous amount you'll have to pay (to win).

fearless1333

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
[citation][nom]d_kuhn[/nom]Real Life collectible card games are a ripoff... but at least you get little pieces of paper for the outrageous amount you pay. This looks like the next logical step... you get a few bytes on some server that are 'yours' (as long as you don't piss off Blizzard and they decide not to drop the game) for the outrageous amount you'll have to pay (to win).[/citation]

...Well it's the same with all games isn't it? Pay money for some pixels on a screen that move around and shoot other pixels.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I'm not seeing the appeal behind this and from the looks of the reactions above no one else seems to care either. My guess is this was a pet project by one or a handful of Devs that were interested in making a card game and when management saw it they decided it was marketable.

Chairman Ray

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
Hopefully it turns out better than the World of Warcraft Trading Card Game. If there are any cards exclusive to paying players, I definitely won't be playing this game. I don't mind if it's paying to get cards faster or paying for more deck slots, or something along those lines.

QEFX

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
"We've always loved collectible card games at Blizzard"

It kinda sad to admit you play WoW ... but the above statement is just plain pathetic.

Even back in the 90s people who played these card games were the lowest of the geeks (yes even lower than LARPers) but 20+ years on? I think the people who work at Blizzard REALLY REALLY need to get a girlfriend-boyfriend/wife-husband/significant other/partner/pet/social skills/a friend/to get out of the house and talk to somebody who doesn't work at blizzard/ ... well you know where I'm going with this.

Oh well, at least they won't be the biggest loosers on the planet ... that spot's reserved for whomever buys the premium stuff for this game.

tuxborg

Honorable
Nov 16, 2012
I for one applaud Blizzard. They heard us loud and clear after Diablo III: "We will not buy another Blizzard title until you earn our trust once again."

Clearly this was the only way to lure in the fans who didn't want to be burned by another $50+ mistake.

Who really cares if it is pay-to-win? It's free. If it is terrible, we know Blizzard gave up. No tears. If it is surprisingly good, well, they just might save enough of a fan base that their next big thing won't flop.

electrontau

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
[citation][nom]delaro[/nom]WoW Rip off of MTG... just what we need... /facepalm[/citation]

By your analogy all other MMOs are WoW rip-offs. What MMOs survived since 2004?

The new game is free to play. Don't like it? Simple, don't play. Nobody has tried the game and already saying it is a bad game.

Personally I am a first person shooter game player but will give it a try.

joz

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I think I'll stick with paper MTG; it has value (as long as you have the right cards.) Is tremendously popular; takes a bit more skill then most people give it credit for to play properly. Oh, and its not a blatant rip off of other games or ideas either.

They'd best be careful to not stop on Hasbro's toes (who owns Wizards of the Coast; who makes MTG; DnD, etc...)

Status
Not open for further replies.