Blizzar'ds StarCraft II Beta is Delayed

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]Well, I hope that wit all these delays and the such, they're continually improving the graphics.They originally may have had a 2GHz C2D and a 3870 in mind, but now more people will have a GTX 3xx or a 5890 2GB etc. and a 6 core 12 thread Gulftown.[/citation]
Very unlikely.

[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]However Blizzard, just hire a couple hundred more people and fucking finish it already. You can't tell me a company with over 10 million addicts shelling $15 a month can't properly fund this game.[/citation]
Software development doesn't work that way, sometimes you just can't speed things up.

In this case, though, I guess they are still thinking about "how do we make more money and not piss of the customers at the same time".

Hunter_Killers

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2003
Having a successful beta is just as important as a smooth launch, Blizzard also has the luxury of setting their own dates for releases like Valve so they don't get garbage rushed out a door.

Just a few facts:

- Battle.net is free
- There will be microtransactions for the map marketplace (original content) at the creaters discretion and probobly other things like avatars/decals.
- Cloud storage for maps and more within Battle.net.
- All 3 races are playable from the start.
- Each game brings the next campaign in the line.
- Battle.net isn't just for SC2.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
How is this news? Just par for the course with Blizzard.

They better wake up fast and realize the world keeps turning even if they take two decades to release a game and eventually no one cares!!!!

HolyCrusader

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Blizzard stated that they made the decision to release Starcraft II as three installments so that way the game wouldn't get pushed-back to a 2010 release.

So with all of the repeated delays of the game, by what reason do we have of having three separate releases? From some of the scuttlebutt I've been hearing, many of SC2's current delays are Battlenet and networking-related issues, and have nothing to do with the base game itself.

Seeings that it's unlikely that SC2 will be released before the end of 2010, is it too much to ask for a complete game, instead of the 3-part game they're intending?

Command & Conquer 4 is looking better and better all the time.

Intel_Hydralisk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2005
[citation][nom]ColMirage[/nom]Warcraft 3 had matchmaking (Horrible though, first game I was paired up against someone who was "Level 12"). Of course you still had a custom games list, so it's not bad.[/citation]
Warcraft 3 matchmaking has nothing to do with level. You have a hidden level based on wins / losses. The hidden stat is like a chess rating. You can be level 20 and totally suck and still be matched against noobs, because the system thinks since you suck so bad you deserve to be matched against noobs. If you win a lot against noobs, then well your hidden level also goes up. So clearly the level 12 you played was just a scrub. Hence, fair.

gomi

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Blizzard it really disappointing me, SC2 should have been in development years ago but they just keep milking wow for all they can get.

azxcvbnm321

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
LOL, it just goes to show you how much it takes these days to make a groundbreaking game with all the bells and whistles gamers demand, yet gamers are still clueless when it comes to cost and what a value they are getting with $49.99 games.

Why is Starcraft II coming out in 3 installments? Because to incorporate everything Blizzard wants into the game is a huge and expensive task. I bet they figured out that they would lose money if they put in everything they wanted to and could only get $49.99 for it. So the choice was either to drop features and content, or to split up the game into enough installments that it could pay for itself and generate a profit for the company.

For you commies, yes it's OK for them to make a profit on Starcraft II considering the resources invested and gamble they are taking. Should people not buy it, or pirating becomes more rampant, they will take huge losses. This project has been in development for years and the wages, health insurance, etc. for programmers adds up quickly. $49.99 may pay for an hour of work from a programmer counting benefits like health care and taxes paid by the company.

I totally support Blizzard's decision to split up the game and charge $49.99 per installment rather than nerfing the game and making it lame just so they can satisfy some cheapskates who will end up complaining no matter what.

norb8

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Don’t buy Starcraft II!

Heres what I'm going to do when Starcraft II is released. I've summarized a timeline of events after it's release.

1. Starcraft II is released- Date unknown

2. Three days later: It becomes available on torrent sites for download.

3. At the same time a crack will be developed and available at gamecopyworld.com

4. Three weeks after release: Private servers will begin to appear so players who downloaded the game can play online for free.

5. At the same time a patch will be released by the gaming community that enables LAN play with Starcraft II.

6. One month after release: Blizzard executives realize how retarded they were in delaying the production of Starcraft II.

7. Blizzard realized they don't give a shit because they have 11+ million WoW subscribers.

Rinse and repeat for Diablo 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.