Blizzcon 2010: Diablo 3, WoW Details

Status
Not open for further replies.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
god they have so much money

so i heard the next starcraft expansion is not going to be announced for a long... long... long time. this is what happens when a company has too much money

linford585

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]god they have so much moneyso i heard the next starcraft expansion is not going to be announced for a long... long... long time. this is what happens when a company has too much money[/citation]

Or when a company doesn't come out with a game until they think it is perfect.

Heard of "Valve time?"
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time

Blizzard works on "Blizzard time" as well ;).

It will be done when it's done.

montezumaa

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010
The Demon Hunter video was made using the Starcraft 2 game engine; it was not "highly rendered". The World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Cinematic Introduction( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq4Y7ztznKc ) video is a "highly rendered" video. Check your facts before you publish your stories.

Diablo will probably be out around Christmas of 2011, or the beginning of 2012.

montezumaa

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010
[citation][nom]linford585[/nom]Or when a company doesn't come out with a game until they think it is perfect.Heard of "Valve time?"http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_TimeBlizzard works on "Blizzard time" as well .It will be done when it's done.[/citation]

Yes, we all know about how Blizzard(and other companies) takes their time to make sure they get their products right. The problem is that Blizzard will not be able to take their sweet time forever. Eventually, Activision will grow tired of having to wait so long for a product, and the company will start slashing people from the payrolls and bring in people who will release games at a much faster rate, which will(probably) result in lesser products.

At some point, the amount of time is takes Blizzard to go from concept to finished product starts get ridiculous.

linford585

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]montezumaa[/nom]Yes, we all know about how Blizzard(and other companies) takes their time to make sure they get their products right. The problem is that Blizzard will not be able to take their sweet time forever. Eventually, Activision will grow tired of having to wait so long for a product, and the company will start slashing people from the payrolls and bring in people who will release games at a much faster rate, which will(probably) result in lesser products.At some point, the amount of time is takes Blizzard to go from concept to finished product starts get ridiculous.[/citation]

Possible, yes, however I'm not so inclined to agree with you there... Yes, I am not a fan of the Activision/Blizzard merger, and I do feel Activision is pretty much just there for the money - but I still think they will let Blizzard do what they do best - make that money.

Lots of products faster doesn't always mean more money.

Hunter_Killers

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2003
It's mostly to do with their iterative development process, if something isn't working or they flat out don't like they aren't going to try to bandaid it repeatedly or leave it that way.

Of course the same can't be said for actually released/in beta games.

prozium42

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2010
[citation][nom]montezumaa[/nom]The Demon Hunter video was made using the Starcraft 2 game engine; it was not "highly rendered". The World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Cinematic Introduction( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq4Y7ztznKc ) video is a "highly rendered" video. Check your facts before you publish your stories.Diablo will probably be out around Christmas of 2011, or the beginning of 2012.[/citation]

Can you give a link referring to the use of the starcraft 2 game engine being used for any of the diablo 3 stuff? I'm not saying its impossible but based on watching each D3 video it looks more like their more or less putting you at eye level in the D3 engine with some editing/higher detail(such as the fire on the demonic symbol in the DHunter video).

Ramar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]linford585[/nom]Possible, yes, however I'm not so inclined to agree with you there... Yes, I am not a fan of the Activision/Blizzard merger, and I do feel Activision is pretty much just there for the money - but I still think they will let Blizzard do what they do best - make that money.Lots of products faster doesn't always mean more money.[/citation]

How on earth can you say that when months after the merger Blizzard enabled buying things with real money in WoW? Activision crippled them from day one. Remember "Starspawn", the free multiplayer copy of SC that you were allowed to share with eight friends? Blizzard is not the same company anymore, period.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Well about the Starcraft II "expansions" It's already been explained by Blizzard that they won't really be expansions but stand-alone games.
The only real difference will be the single player campaign. Since
Blizzard also made it clear that the multi-player will be linked
through the 3 titles its unlikely that any new units will be introduced
due to this fact. Just wanted to clear that up.

mortifera142

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
i got to admit im really excited about diablo 3, starcraft 2 was good, and a couple of my close friends were starcraft 2 allstars, but through thick n thin we spent 20x more hours playing diablo 2 and i just need a release date i cant wait to play diablo 3

f-14

Distinguished
10 years to release a sequel. they are lucky the chinese haven't released a knock off sequel. i know for a fact blizzard changed the skill tree because TQdigital was stealing the diablo3 code for their conquer online expansions. the monk on t/q was going to have the same exact skills as diablo 3's monk. 1-2 weeks right before blizzard announced the new skill scheme for characters TQ had to change the advertisement marketing and put off their version of the monk's release date.

if you screw around too long don't think your competitors won't find a way to beat you to the punch.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]johnnysgraf[/nom]Where's mention of the guy who broke his leg?http://news.ninemsn.com.au/enterta [...] ompetition[/citation]

People break bones everywhere all the time. It's irrelevant and not worth mentioning.

stevelord

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]longliverock1974[/nom]I was hoping for a release date. I pre-ordered my copy of Diablo 3 back on 2/25/2010.[/citation]

Why? You listened to the likes of Gamestop didn't you?

There's no point in pre-ordering a blizzard game until it's in beta. You also miss out on bonus swag that some stores give with their games.

bebangs

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
No details on the warcraft movie yet? Was hoping someone from the blizzcon could give any updates or ask Chris Metzen. Tried to login to Wow last night, and man! it's 5gb of patch!

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
[citation][nom]theshonen8899[/nom]Hello Amazon. You're looking quite stunning in Diablo 3. I wish I could say the same about your Necromancer friend though.[/citation]
Ya except the whole different class thing, just cuz it uses arrows and bolts doesnt make it a clone of a Amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.