Blocking Pirating Sites Deemed to be Ineffective

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

The thing is that most people wouldn't pay for this stuff that they download illegally, they would just go without, if it was something I really wanted and was worth my money then I would buy it

25gtt

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
I always thought that if the music was affordable then perhaps people would not be willing to pirate as much.
Perhaps the funds spent on chasing the pirate website could be reinvested to reduce the price of the songs.
That plus entrusting lets say Sony with my cc details is a risk, if you can recall what happed to the PS account sometime ago *Oops*
So i cant help but think, overpriced music with unsecure transactions = overpriced risk.

vittau

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
I know a good anti-piracy measure: DRM-free services that don't treat their customers like criminals, and better prices.

srap

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
[citation][nom]manofchalk[/nom]I thought that trying to block TPB and other sites was already known to be a bad tactic.[/citation]
It cannot be said enough times. Especially for the guys at the media industry.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Movies are too expensive. $25 for a bluray so you can get HD on your HDTV is stupid. They should offer a "no extras" cheaper option. If they won't budge on price, go with $10 at release with no extras. If I could pick up movies for $5 to $10 I would purchase most of them. As it stands now, I buy a $25 movie once a year, if that.

Games are offering less and less content. Some games are offering a 6 hour campaign for $60. Back in the day, games were more expensive at $70 or more (I paid $90 for Neverwinter Nights), but they offered long hours of play. 80 hours I got out of NWN, which is little more than $1 per hour.

Games are now $10 per hour or more. If I were to buy two copies at $60 per game for my wife to play as well, we'd be paying $20 per hour, which is probably more money than most people make at their full time jobs.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Give me access to what I want when I want for a reasonable price and I won't pirate it. I stream network TV shows because I can watch them when I want. On the other hand I would rather have them available via Netflix or Amazon Instant because it's much easier to navigate, search, and use than pirating. I buy Blu-Rays all the time when they're on sale.

If the MPAA and RIAA want us to stop pirating they would provide us with what we want, rather than what they want.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
If you can afford it.. then buy it. If you cannot afford it then WAIT for it to appear on ebay or amazon at a reduced price.

There is NO EXCUSE for downloading illegal material.

After saying that I, along with, probably, everyone posting here today, has sampled the world of 'free' material. If it all suddenly vanished overnight then I would buy all of the stuff that i wanted. On the other hand it takes months for certain television shows to appear, if they even ever do, over here in the UK. Same for films.

If you want to stop all of this pirating stuff then target the newsgroups and THEN the web pages. After newsgroups go for the big players that have the crazy silly pipes out there in the world. ANY law enforcement department should be able to eventually stop all of this at the larger sources and I'm confused as to why they haven't yet done so? Oh yeah, there's more important stuff to do like stopping armed robbery, domestic violence, drugs etc.

If YOU made the material... would you like someone to steal it from you? No... yet we all download.

P.s. If the price of a Blu-ray is too much for you then wait for the price to fall. It is not as if your LIFE depends on it! We're so stupidly self entitled at times

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]damianrobertjones[/nom]If you can afford it.. then buy it. If you cannot afford it then WAIT for it to appear on ebay or amazon at a reduced price.There is NO EXCUSE for downloading illegal material.After saying that I, along with, probably, everyone posting here today, has sampled the world of 'free' material. If it all suddenly vanished overnight then I would buy all of the stuff that i wanted. On the other hand it takes months for certain television shows to appear, if they even ever do, over here in the UK. Same for films.If you want to stop all of this pirating stuff then target the newsgroups and THEN the web pages. After newsgroups go for the big players that have the crazy silly pipes out there in the world. ANY law enforcement department should be able to eventually stop all of this at the larger sources and I'm confused as to why they haven't yet done so? Oh yeah, there's more important stuff to do like stopping armed robbery, domestic violence, drugs etc.If YOU made the material... would you like someone to steal it from you? No... yet we all download.P.s. If the price of a Blu-ray is too much for you then wait for the price to fall. It is not as if your LIFE depends on it! We're so stupidly self entitled at times[/citation]

i love bringing this up, but photoshop.
its only a major product because of piracy.
the only reason it got big was everyone used it, and because of that businesses went with what everyone knew.

photoshop costs 700$ new and 250$ for student.

cs5 = 650$
cs4 = 683$
cs3 = 550$
cs2 = 400$
cs = 380$ 180 if you are ok with open box
photoshop 7 = 440$ 144 open box
photoshop 6 = 500$ 65 open box

and i cant even find anything older than that on amazon
for home use, the only one that is priced reasonably is 6
but 6 is so old that im seriously doubting if it could even work on a modern computer.

some things will never be reasonably priced...

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Awesome outlook... right up there with the drug war and locking up drug users as an effective method.

Should be pretty obvious where this line of thought is headed... Not only does the media industry want hegemony over the outside Kim Dotcom's of the world, they also want predatory financial policies in place for users of services that don't have an official blessing. eg: You didn't download pirated content, but you used an unsanctioned service legally that hosts pirated content, so you get to pay too.

InvalidError

Titan
Funny how researchers are only now concluding that taking down sites and services is ineffective... people in the pirating business have been telling everyone that for the past 20+ years.

Everyone would be better off if content/software creators went for the embrace-and-extend mindset rather than exploring every litigation option possible to repress people who would not have bothered with their content/software otherwise. So much effort and productivity wasted on something that benefits nobody and most often hurt legitimate customers worst.

infernocy

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
there are way too many options in the free market that surpasses the paid market ... for example paint.net is a very good alternative to photoshop .. every single student can get visual studio from msdn free ... isnt it funny that every single Linux operating system has better installation that windows , ubundu offers try version before install ... for every paid software , there are 2 -3 free alternatives

To bring back Gabe Newell's quote on piracy:
"We think there is a fundamental misconception about piracy. Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem," he said. "If a pirate offers a product anywhere in the world, 24 x 7, purchasable from the convenience of your personal computer, and the legal provider says the product is region-locked, will come to your country 3 months after the US release, and can only be purchased at a brick and mortar store, then the pirate's service is more valuable."

with that said, some companies are fighting against piracy the wrong way. there are services people pay for for a good well kept experience. that's how sites like netflix became so popular, and coincidentally for the shows that are pirated, they just happen to be not on netflix. the reason why its popular is that it streams ad free series for people to watch at their own comfort, not locked onto one system and is more or less user friendly. people are willing to pay for convenience factor, and will pirate things deemed to them worth pirating due to a service not being offered(I think Game of Thrones was a large example)

AnUnusedUsername

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
[citation][nom]damianrobertjones[/nom]If you can afford it.. then buy it. If you cannot afford it then WAIT for it to appear on ebay or amazon at a reduced price.There is NO EXCUSE for downloading illegal material.After saying that I, along with, probably, everyone posting here today, has sampled the world of 'free' material. If it all suddenly vanished overnight then I would buy all of the stuff that i wanted. On the other hand it takes months for certain television shows to appear, if they even ever do, over here in the UK. Same for films.If you want to stop all of this pirating stuff then target the newsgroups and THEN the web pages. After newsgroups go for the big players that have the crazy silly pipes out there in the world. ANY law enforcement department should be able to eventually stop all of this at the larger sources and I'm confused as to why they haven't yet done so? Oh yeah, there's more important stuff to do like stopping armed robbery, domestic violence, drugs etc.If YOU made the material... would you like someone to steal it from you? No... yet we all download.P.s. If the price of a Blu-ray is too much for you then wait for the price to fall. It is not as if your LIFE depends on it! We're so stupidly self entitled at times[/citation]

One has to wonder why media companies stick to a clearly broken buisness model. There's no sense in releasing any sort of content before it's been paid for, and that's exactly what they do. They produce a movie, CD, game, etc., and THEN try to get funding for it. Which makes no sense, because once production is done, there is nearly zero cost to distribute it to everyone in the world.

It should be obvious that people are going to undercut them. The thing is, they've made it impossible to do so legally, so the only options are ones that don't charge customers. Kicker is, charging NOTHING for a CD/game/movie/etc. is still a profitable business model because of advertising revenue.

Media companies need to adjust their business ideas. Either they need to charge people for products BEFORE they release them, and only release them once they have funding, or they need to simply create a centralized product (similar to steam or netflix) where everything is available to everyone, at either low or no cost, depending on the product, and generate profits from advertising.

You can't fight piracy for the same reason home cotton spinners couldn't fight factories in the 1800s. You have to adapt to technology rather than try to block it out.

G

Here is the thing, these sites have people that are alot smarter than the ones trying to block it. Most of the ones that download it are also alot smarter than your average pc user or RIAA goob that comes up with these plans to target sites. So they will always be a few steps ahead of the ones trying to stop it. Way it is. There are dozens of ways around thru or over any circumvention to block or track. Nature of the beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.