Blogger Wins Against Apple to Cover Nvidia GPU Failures

Status
Not open for further replies.

xelliz

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Good for him. It doesn't matter if its Apple, Microsoft or Toys R Us. ANY company that tries to jerk around consumers like that deserves to get slapped like this in court.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
[citation][nom]brett1042002[/nom](╯°O°)╯FUS RO DAH! ==== ☆。・:*>┼○ <-- Apple^ Seattle Rex[/citation]
It was more of FAAS RU MAAR..., I don't think they were expecting that.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
So wait he claims that because it didnt boot they couldnt determine that it was the video card? If they are replacing the gpu in them and it boots after that and comes right back to life like it never shut down then yes, you can determine that the gpu dying (since it was found to be defective in the first place) was the cause of the boot issue. Now if they replaced his gpu and it still didnt boot then he'd have a case... Did they baffle the judge with BS or something?

Intel_Hydralisk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2005
Wait, what? Apple was trying to dodge the guy... but since when was it common sense that the GPU is at fault when a computer/laptop doesn't boot? I guess Apple put the onus on the consumer to prove that it was a defective GPU rather than inspect it themselves? And $4000 for a 8600M GT Macbook Pro? Whenever did... oh nvm, it's Apple.

vxd128

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
Normally I'm not one to criticize articles, but I do feel that a lot of the articles on Tomshardware are more pro Apple. The comment that "This one sounds fishy" made me scratch my head. After everything I've read and seen over the past few years regarding Apple and their buisness pratices and lawsuits, this just seems par for the course about their customer service. I remember when the iPhone had the problem with the antenna they blamed the users for "holding it wrong" instead of accepting responsibility for a design flaw.This is just further proof of poor customer service.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
First earn more money by selling standard PC components for premium prices and then deny the user the rights to get defective parts replaced. What a wonderful company especially as Nvidia paid for the replacement! What a laughable customer service!

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
It always baffles me as to how Apple gets such high satisfaction in their customer service (maybe because a high percentage of their users are fanboys?). They consistently screw their customers over.

Your brand new iPhone 4 drops calls? You're holding it wrong, here, buy this overpriced rubber band to fix it (they only started offering them for free after this blew up in their face).

Your iPhone literally exploded in your hand (isolated incidents)? You were holding it too tight.

Your Mac got a virus that tricked you into giving away your credit card number? Apple gives its service reps explicit instructions to provide no help whatsoever, not even allowed to tell people where they could get help. Policy only reversed after this, yet again, blew up in their face.

This simply isn't good customer service.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]It always baffles me as to how Apple gets such high satisfaction in their customer service (maybe because a high percentage of their users are fanboys?).[/citation]

Same goes for high priced cars and most psychologists call it denial, a customer can't accept they paid more and didn't get that extra they expected. Rather than feel like fool they deny that they did a poor purchase and gladly give the car great ratings and defend that brand over and over... because they cant accept the poor choice they made.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]It always baffles me as to how Apple gets such high satisfaction in their customer service (maybe because a high percentage of their users are fanboys?). They consistently screw their customers over.[/citation]

Same here. A friend of mine brought an older-gen MBP for repair in Germany and they refused straight out because it's "too outdated". Stupid thing is, instead of showing the middle finger to that company once and for all, he kept buying iCrap. Fanboyism indeed.

mikenygmail

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
[citation][nom]vxd128[/nom]Normally I'm not one to criticize articles, but I do feel that a lot of the articles on Tomshardware are more pro Apple. The comment that "This one sounds fishy" made me scratch my head. After everything I've read and seen over the past few years regarding Apple and their buisness pratices and lawsuits, this just seems par for the course about their customer service. I remember when the iPhone had the problem with the antenna they blamed the users for "holding it wrong" instead of accepting responsibility for a design flaw.This is just further proof of poor customer service.[/citation]

Excellent points. "This one surely sounds fishy." is fishy itself.

[Ed. note: a MacBook Pro belonging to one of our staff refused to display video when turned on and was replaced free of charge at an Apple retail store.]

That's great for the staff member, but unfortunately Apple doesn't seem to care about average consumers.

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Good for this guy. Its said the corporations have so much power to jerk around the US citizens who built this nation they are reaping all the money from.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
"[Ed. note: a MacBook Pro belonging to one of our staff refused to display video when turned on and was replaced free of charge at an Apple retail store.]"

LOL

I'm not surprised given the "extra attention" that this site gives to the damn Apple.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
On another note: My old Dell with a GeForce 7 Series mobile GPU also died because the GPU failed and this was a fairly common occurrence on that model from what I've read.

Did Nvidia have a big problem with unreliable mobile GPUs?

izajasz

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
[citation][nom]vxd128[/nom]Normally I'm not one to criticize articles, but I do feel that a lot of the articles on Tomshardware are more pro Apple. The comment that "This one sounds fishy" made me scratch my head. After everything I've read and seen over the past few years regarding Apple and their buisness pratices and lawsuits, this just seems par for the course about their customer service. I remember when the iPhone had the problem with the antenna they blamed the users for "holding it wrong" instead of accepting responsibility for a design flaw.This is just further proof of poor customer service.[/citation]
[citation][nom]hasten[/nom]Vxd - dude. Reading comprehension. Author is referring to the fact apple could have pocketed the money. Go back and reread before getting all hot and bothered.[/citation]

Ive found out that too . Really it looks like Tomshardware is pro Apple no matter what .

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
So crApple snuggled up to Tom's, and peed on anyone else? Interesting.

Agreeing wtih monsta, yet another reason not to buy crApple - especially when fixing this issue would cost an extremely small percentage of what crApple currently has in the bank. I've heard crApple has, occasionally, done something good, however, it seems the majority of crApple's actions have been on the evil side, and I just cannot bring myself to support them in any way.

I'm hoping the crApple fad will wear off, or crApple will embarrass themselves so severely that they will become a joke. IMHO, the impending crApple TV is a step towards embarrassment for them. Sooner or later, perhaps the crowd will realize that the emperor has no clothes.

G

Where are you getting the idea that this article is Apple-biased? They just reported the story and also added details about their own experience; if you want the Apple-biased version, go to gizmodo or daringfireball and see what those "experts" have to say.

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]hopefully he used that money to buy a good windows laptop[/citation]

That's a grammatical error - Windows and good cannot be used both in the same sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.