Blue screen in Win2000 when burning

G

After a recent major upgrade and OS reinstall (Windows 2000 Professional), I am having problems burning cds. I have tried a number of different apps (Easy CD Creator 5, CDRWin, etc..) but every time I get a blue screen with various numbers (0x00000027, 0x0000001E, etc..) and it always lists ntoskrnl.exe in the error message.

Here are my system specs:
Iwill KK266-R mobo
AMD Athlon 1000mhz
Western Digital 40gig Drive (WD400BB)
HP CD-Writer 9110i
Hercules 3D Prophet II MX
Sound Blaster AWE64
256mb Kingston PC133 RAM

Here's the quick story. I installed the ASPI drivers for Win2k, then I installed Easy CD Creator 5. When I tried to burn, I kept getting buffer underrun errors. Well, when I looked around I saw posts about VIA and Win2k compatability problems which could cause my HD to run in PIO mode. So I installed the latest 4-in-1 drivers from VIA, and got got a utility called IDETool. Well, it is telling me that my HD is running at Ultra-DMA mode 5 (is that even possible in Win2k?) and my burner is at Ultra-DMA mode 2.

So, now I though everything would be fine since both the HD and the cd writer were in DMA mode. Well, now everytime I try to burn a cd I get that annoying blue screen and another coaster.

Does anyone have any ideas? It's got to be something with my new hardware, because I was running Win2k before with my AOpen mobo and PII 333 and I was buring cds with no problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks so much!
Ron

G

THIS IS YOUR PC TECHNICIAN

I WOULD BET IT IS THE MAJOR UPGRADE YOU MADE WHICH IS CAUSING THE PROBLEM. BUT WE ALL WANT OUR UPGRADES TO WORK OUT, DON T WE? I SUGGEST USING THE Microsoft release OF Windows 2000 Service Pack 2 to the Web, 4/25/01. IF THIS DOES NOT FIX THE PROBLEM, CHECK THE NEW MOBO. CD-RWs are capable of proccessing the computer's DMA channel. When you install the board, you must specify which DMA channel is to be used, which sometimes involves setting a jumper or DIP switch.

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I heard that Hp 9100 series CD-RW have problem when you set it to DMA. Disable the DMA for your HP 9110i might solve your problem.

FrankW

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Uh-Oh...You're going to have some trouble running Win2K and Easy CD Creator 5.0.

Read this article on The Register...(I've read about it in other places too...but I can't remember right now).

<A HREF="http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/19099.html" target="_new">http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/19099.html</A>

Good Luck!

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
there is a patch on the roxio site for ez cd creator5 and w2k .. also I highly recommend uninstall it.. reinstall it in custom mode and DO NOT install direct cd or take two portions both are buggy as hell

Lagger

<b><font color=blue>Never try to idiot proof anything..God will always make a better Idiot </b> </font color=blue>

TRENDING THREADS