[SOLVED] Blue Screen of Death (Torture).šŸ˜£

Kinner

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2016
Good evening all,

Well this is been a post that Iā€™ve been holding back on for a while partially because of embarrassment and definitely through tears of frustration as it started in 2016 when I crazily decided to build my own PC for basic office use. Well the dream was there then I got a little bit carried away šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£. Some of you will look at this system and just flat out say itā€™s to old now and just bin it. This PC has had less than 5000hrs usage and I know it is way ridiculous for just basic office work and I think I have only ever played one fairly decent high requirement game Star Wars this thing is clean and the components sharp or maybe not as since building I have suffered the extremely painful ā€œBLUE SCREENS OF DEATH šŸ’€ ā€œ.

My amateurish Diagnosis and attempted work arounds to date:
  • Windows reinstall x 3.
  • Total disassembly and rebuild checking all relevant components.
  • Tested RAM / in and out of MB leaving two sticks in and rearranging the location of each RAM stick, reducing on attempt from 32gb to 16g.
  • Tested without the GPU and checked connectors to the MB.
  • Uninstalled/Reinstalled the Wireless Card.
  • Disconnected NZTX Fan controller and DVD Writer.
  • New thermal paste applied to the CPU and serviced the Water cooler.
  • Uninstalled/Reinstalled all fan units.
  • Serviced the motherboard and set to default via bios with updates. ( still think this may require further attention.
  • Checked updates on all required drivers.

Still BLUE SCREENING Intermittently .
My Diagnosis:

After many tears šŸ˜­ šŸ¤£šŸ¤£ I think it could possibly be the RAM as several articles have mentioned a particular issue with RAM and this series of Motherboard.

or

A possibility of the PSU as just prior to it Blue Screening there is an slight electrical noise reverberating out of the case, which I had initially put down to a faulty fan.

or

The Motherboard is faulty literally the only component I havenā€™t changed out.

Bluescreen references:

Kernel Security Check Error.
Critical Process Died Stop Code.
Stop Code Error.

Spec:
OS Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, MIcrosoft 365 Premium

Asus R9 380X 4 GB STRIX Gaming OC Graphics Card

Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB 2.5
inch Solid State Drive - Black

X2 Kingston SV300S37A/480G 480 GB Solid State Drive V300 SATA 3, Black, Grey, Red, White

Thermaltake Smart DPS G Digital 750 W EU 80 Plus Gold Semi Modular Power Supply Unit

Corsair CW-9060015-WW Hydro Series H75 120 mm High Performance All-in-One Liquid CPU Cooler

NZXT Sentry 2 Touch Screen Fan Controller Meter (not connected to the fans but displays )

Corsair Air Series AF120-LED 120mm Quiet Edition High Airflow LED Fan - Red (Single Pack)

HyperX HX324C11SRK4/32 Savage 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) 2400 MHz DDR3 CL11 DIMM XMP Memory Module, Red

AMD A10 7860K FM2+ Godavari CPU (Quad Core, 3.6 GHz, Radeon R7 757 MHz, 65 W)

ASUS 90MB0JQ0-M0EAY0 - FM2+ CROSSBLADE RANGER

Samsung 24x Retail SATA DVD Writer ( not connected)

AOC 27 inch Ultra Thin, Glass Bezels, Frameless Design, 2 x HDMI, VGA, Speakers I2757FM

Western Digital WD10EZEX - WD 1TB CAVIAR BLUE 64MB 7200RPM 3.5 INCH DESKTOP SATA 6Gb/SEC INTERNAL HDD

Any information, assistance and good old fashioned help would be amazing as it would be unbelievable to get this baby up and running to its full capacity.

Thank you all so much in advance for your help and assistance and I look forward to hearing from you all soon.

regards

A.

Solution
You can generally check your PSU voltages in the BIOS and with a program like HWInfo or Afterburner. You want the 3 main ones +12, +5 and + 3.3V to remain within 5% of those values at all times and under heavy load....which is why checking them in the BIOS isn't all that great.
If any wander more than 5% it's new PSU time.

I also think that the problem could be the memory. Memory can be very finicky.

....and out of the three....I think the MB would be the least likely but still possible.
You can generally check your PSU voltages in the BIOS and with a program like HWInfo or Afterburner. You want the 3 main ones +12, +5 and + 3.3V to remain within 5% of those values at all times and under heavy load....which is why checking them in the BIOS isn't all that great.
If any wander more than 5% it's new PSU time.

I also think that the problem could be the memory. Memory can be very finicky.

....and out of the three....I think the MB would be the least likely but still possible.

Solution

Kinner

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2016
You're welcome.
Thank you again for your help.

I have run the scripts you suggested and as you mentioned rather than trying to detect via BIOS I installed Afterburner which gave the all clear results.

I also installed lastest updates for the Card via interface which appeared to possibly have solved the problem. I then tested via Star Wars: Battle Front in which I hadnā€™t played for at least 5 years ( as not a gamer) and for at least 6 hours it didnā€™t blue screen at all and ran perfectly for a day.

Then it didnā€™t Blue Screen it just blanked completely out with no screen function at all but PC seemed to run okay? The Screen I was using a Samsung LC27R500FHUXEN 27" Curved Monitor which weirdly has a small red vertical line about 4cm long in the top left corner ( I wonder if this is something to do with the card?) šŸ¤”.

So I have decided after reading reviews and taking your advice to purchase some new RAM. Why? I donā€™t know as nearly tried every else excluding the replacement of the MB and PSU. So RAM arrives today:
Corsair CMY16GX3M2A1600C9R Vengeance Pro Series 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz CL9 XMP Performance Desktop Memory Kit Red.

Will test it out and report back thanks again for your help.

Kinner

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2016
Sorry and HWInfo reported these Error codes:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Looks like a driver issue?

Any help would be hugely appreciated thanks.

Kinner

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2016
Apologies about the late reply and thank you again for your awesome diagnosis.

It looks like the basic very simplistic function of putting in:

Corsair CMY16GX3M2A1600C9R Vengeance Pro Series 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz CL9 XMP Performance Desktop Memory Kit Red

Has worked amazingly well and fingers crossed for the last two days have had absolutely no problems.
Also after a deeper dive into all the drivers I was missing 7 updates?? I purchased a subscription tool https://outbyte.com/software/driver-updater/ and it loaded ( which I thought were already updated šŸ¤”) the required drivers. šŸ‘.

So letā€™s see what happens from herešŸ˜….
I attempted to upload my findings from Blue Screen but couldnā€™t workout how to sorry but temperatures etc seem to be clocking perfectly ( fingers, toes, eyeballs crossed) šŸ¤£.
Again thanks for taking the time to look at this issue and hugely appreciate your efforts very kind.
I will certainly keep you updated if anything Elers arises.

kind regards,

Kina