Chocolate Teapot

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2012
Hello all and thanks for reading my thread! Sorry, it's a long one!

Recently, while I was using photoshop on my windows 10 pc I was suddenly faced with a blue screen causing my computer to restart. Everything had been running very smoothly up until this point, no odd behaviour. After successfully posting, upon trying to load windows, it blue screened again and became stuck in a bsod boot loop. Unfortunately it never got to Windows recovery so I couldn't boot in safe mode or revert to a restore point etc., occasionally it would go into 'diagnosing your pc' during the asus splash screen but would either lock up or bsod from there. So firstly, I removed all unnecessary peripherals and just connected a keyboard and mouse. I reseated the ram, then placed each ram stick in both slots covering all configurations and this did not help. I then started to suspect this was my ssd and that this was possibly damaged by my power supply as it was about 8 and a half years old (I know, silly idea keeping that in there) so I replaced both of these and upon trying to install windows 10 from a bootable usb, it gets to the windows 10 logo, the donut spins a few times and I'm faced with a blue screen yet again. Every time it has blue screened I'm faced with a different stop code, but the errors do repeat and so I've put a list of the most common errors I'm getting at the bottom. I also tried installing windows 7 from a dvd rom and after it seemed to successfully load the files on the white bar at the bottom, as soon as the windows logo is about to appear, it blue screens. It has formed the logo once when doing this, but then just hung there doing nothing.

I reseated the cpu, checked over all the components for signs of physical damage (everything looked good) and carefully reconnected everything. Still nothing.

I installed a buzzer and at post, I get a single beep giving the 'all clear'.

I then installed Memtest86 on a usb and ran this two times at 4 passes, for a total of 8 passes and both times this returned zero errors.

I also bought a single stick of 4gb ram and tried this in both slots and I still have the same issue. I think therefore I can conclude that this is not the ram, leading me to believe this is either the motherboard or cpu. I'm assuming this is not a failed graphics card causing this kind of problem? Unfortunately I can't test this, as my cpu doesn't have integrated graphics.

Finally, I tried installing linux pop os to see what would happen and if it could possibly shed any light on this. Of course installation failed, but from what I could see, the first time I ran this there seemed to be some interesting errors that (taking a guess as this all looks like a foreign language to me) seemed to point to the cpu? This is just a hunch though, some of the errors when trying to install pop os mentions things like:

-multi_cpu_stop
-cpu_stopper_thread
  • stop_machine_yield
  • kthread_park
  • watchdog: bug: soft lockup cpu#1 stuck for 23s!
  • ? shed_clock_cpu

Common stop codes from the windows 10 blue screens I got are:

• irql not or less equal
  • driver irql not or less equal
  • system thread exception not handled
  • attempted execute of no execute memory
  • kmode exception not handled
  • kernel security check failure
  • pagefault in non paged area
  • system service exception
  • kernel mode heap corruption

Researching on google, a lot of these windows stop codes seem to point at ram, but I think with the tests I've mentioned above this is unlikely to be the culprit.

If you've made it this far, a massive thank you :)

Any ideas would be hugely appreciated!

Chocolate Teapot

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2012
Okay so an update (might be useful to someone experiencing the same problems), I had an old graphics card in the loft, so I plugged this in to my machine and the blue screens still occur, so I can confirm the graphics card is not doing this.

It therefore either looks like a motherboard or cpu replacement.