Question Blue Screen with Geforce 8400gs and Windows 2000

Matthew Renna

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2017
Good morning,
I have a IBM eserver xSeries 220 8645 with dual PIIIs and it's running Windows 2000 Advanced Server.
The machine only has PCI slots, no AGP. When I install a PCI Geforce 8400gs, the PC boots fine to the bios, when it tries to boot the OS however, the machine always blue screens. I removed the old drivers and tried starting it in safe mode, the same blue screen happens every time.
Here's the link to the blue screen.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1px_P-Pec0uQuOfn7eT9TSsURjdZfAsr6/view?usp=sharing

If I have to buy another gpu, I wouldn't be opposed as to this card currently has a broken fan.
Any suggestions would be appreciated, I'm at a loss for this.

Matthew Renna

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2017
That BSOD indicate hdd problem.

How much RAM does the computer have (so I may advice to boot up a 32bit Linux distro and get any hdd smart data) ?

The PC has a total of 1gb in 2x512 sticks. I'm able to boot into the Operating system when I take the 8400gs out and run on the IGPU or a rage 128 I have. With those, I can run the os fine. I'll move a hdd program over and see what it finds.

Matthew Renna

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2017
Did you try a different PCI slot? If no, then try another one.
Did you try a different PCI slot? If no, then try another one.
I tried different ones, I got the same blue screen when I plugged it into the other 32 bit slot, however when I plugged it into the 64 bit slot I got an error and it would't go past the bios. So neither worked.
Could it be something with the OS? Maybe 2000 can't boot with that gpu?