Question Bluee Screen of Death because of RAM

srze.game

Reputable
Oct 23, 2017
Hello, I recently bought a new DDR3 RAM stick and installed it in my PC that I use for office work. It had 4GB, and now it has 8GB.
When I first turned on the PC, it was stuck on the first loading (Dell Optiplex, before Windows...) I restarted it and it worked fine. Later that day, BSOD started appearing, and I switched the spots of RAM sticks on the MOBO. Somehow it worked, and I had no problems.
7 days later (today) PC got stuck again when I turned it on (on the first loading screen DELL), and after a few restarts it worked... BSOD then started appearing, and computer started restarting...
Is there a simple way to fix this, or ?

[OS = Windows 7] --- Mod edit.

srze.game

Reputable
Oct 23, 2017
Did you keep the 4GB you already had and added another stick of 4GB?

Mixing RAM is not recommended because sometime you get issues.
Yes, i kept those 4GB that I had.

Couldn't run the memtest, because my PC doesn't want to boot from the USB, but I ran the Windows memory diagnostic tool and it states that "Hardware problems are detected"

srze.game

Reputable
Oct 23, 2017
What if you leave the new 4GB only in the same spot where the old 4GB is working?
My old module was in the spot where the new is now. When I bought the new module, I put it in the empty slot, it didn't work very well and I switched them. (confusing lol)

My old module is now in the spot that was empty, and the new one is in the other, if you understand me :) ?

srze.game

Reputable
Oct 23, 2017
You will know if it crash again. You might be chasing issues for weeks. A 2 sticks RAM kit is not recommended for nothing :)
Lol, I just ran Windows memory diagnostic, and it says that there are no hardware problems detected, and my pc runs allright.
I ran it today at noon and it said that hardware problems were detected..... :) I didn't change anything :').

You really need to just boot memtest and run it on each stick overnight. If that works, then it could be an issue with seating properly in the socket--check for dust and make sure the contacts on the memory module are nice shiny (use an pencil eraser to polish them if necessary).

srze.game

Reputable
Oct 23, 2017
You really need to just boot memtest and run it on each stick overnight. If that works, then it could be an issue with seating properly in the socket--check for dust and make sure the contacts on the memory module are nice shiny (use an pencil eraser to polish them if necessary).
I can't, BIOS freezes when I try to boot from the USB (for the memtest) :(

TRENDING THREADS