Boneheaded Mistake in Ordering - Now can I return a superf..

curious

I just ordered a Dell Precision 370. It has already been shipped but
has not yet arrived. When I looked at the invoice I realized I had
made an error in ordering. I ordered a second large hard drive I
don't need. The system is configured with a 74G 10,000rpm boot drive
(which is what I want) plus a 250GB 7,200rpm drive (which I don't need
or want.) I think what happened is that I was looking at
configurations with and wihout an additional data drive, but I
realized since all of the data for this machine resides on a network
attached storage device there was no need for a big data drive. And
even if I did need such a drive in the future, it currently costs only
$131 for a WD SATA150 250GB drive from Newegg and will be even less
in the future, whereas Dell charges $299 for a similar 250GB drive. I
had set up configurations with and without the extra HD, but then when
it came time to buy I used the wrong saved configuration and forgot I
had decided against the second drive.

Please note that I am telling you the honest story instead of trying
to claim Dell messed up my order. They didn't. I did. (I'm usually
pretty careful about such things but I've been distracted by some
family medical issues this week, so my concentration wasn't what I
should have been.)

I don't have a need for this drive on this computer, nor on any other
one for the forseeable future and, being rather short on funds, I
don't want to be out $299 for nothing. (Even selling the drive on Ebay
would only get me $100 or so.) BTW the Precision 370 cost me $1635
before taxes and peripherals. It would have been $1336 If I had not
ordered the extra drive.

So what to do? I know Dell has a total satisfaction policy, so,
strictly speaking I could return the whole system and order another
without the extra drive. But then I'd have to pay shipping back for an
entire system (nearly $100), and that just seems like overkill.
(Besides I do need a computer now and prices have gone up $50 since
last week.) Does the total satisfaction policy allow return of _part_
of a system. Do you think Dell will just let me take out the HD, pack
it carefully, and ship it back to them for a refund of the $299?
That's what I'd rather do but is it a realistic expectation?

I'm going to call Dell, but first I thought I'd get some opionions on
the group as to how to handle it. What's the best way to approach
them about this?

Curious

curious

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 14:47:05 -0400, Curious <Curious@nospam.com>
wrote:

>I just ordered a Dell Precision 370. It has already been shipped but
>has not yet arrived. When I looked at the invoice I realized I had
>made an error in ordering. I ordered a second large hard drive I
>don't need. The system is configured with a 74G 10,000rpm boot drive
>(which is what I want) plus a 250GB 7,200rpm drive (which I don't need
>or want.) I think what happened is that I was looking at
>configurations with and wihout an additional data drive, but I
>realized since all of the data for this machine resides on a network
>attached storage device there was no need for a big data drive. And
>even if I did need such a drive in the future, it currently costs only
>$131 for a WD SATA150 250GB drive from Newegg and will be even less
>in the future, whereas Dell charges $299 for a similar 250GB drive. I
>had set up configurations with and without the extra HD, but then when
>it came time to buy I used the wrong saved configuration and forgot I
>had decided against the second drive.
>
>Please note that I am telling you the honest story instead of trying
>to claim Dell messed up my order. They didn't. I did. (I'm usually
>pretty careful about such things but I've been distracted by some
>family medical issues this week, so my concentration wasn't what I
>should have been.)
>
>I don't have a need for this drive on this computer, nor on any other
>one for the forseeable future and, being rather short on funds, I
>don't want to be out $299 for nothing. (Even selling the drive on Ebay
>would only get me $100 or so.) BTW the Precision 370 cost me $1635
>before taxes and peripherals. It would have been $1336 If I had not
>ordered the extra drive.
>
>So what to do? I know Dell has a total satisfaction policy, so,
>strictly speaking I could return the whole system and order another
>without the extra drive. But then I'd have to pay shipping back for an
>entire system (nearly $100), and that just seems like overkill.
>(Besides I do need a computer now and prices have gone up $50 since
>last week.) Does the total satisfaction policy allow return of _part_
>of a system. Do you think Dell will just let me take out the HD, pack
>it carefully, and ship it back to them for a refund of the $299?
>That's what I'd rather do but is it a realistic expectation?
>
>I'm going to call Dell, but first I thought I'd get some opionions on
>the group as to how to handle it. What's the best way to approach
>them about this?
>
>Curious

Thanks to all who responded to my question. All the replies were
helpful.

I called Dell and explained the situation. I said I could just refuse
shipment but I didn't want to go that far since the only problem was
an extra hard drive and couldn't I just take that out and return it?
They were very pleasant and said there would be no problem with
returning the extra hard drive. They gave me a case number and said
to call back when the system arrived for further instructions on
shipping arrangements.

So far so good (knock on wood)

Curious

Your best option is to refuse delivery on the order. Do not sign for it.
It will be returned to Dell and you will be credited the full amount within
30 days.

Alternatively, you can call Dell customer service now and explain the
situation. They may allow you to return the extra hard drive for a refund.

"Curious" <Curious@nospam.com> wrote in message

> I just ordered a Dell Precision 370. It has already been shipped but
> has not yet arrived. When I looked at the invoice I realized I had
> made an error in ordering. I ordered a second large hard drive I
> don't need. The system is configured with a 74G 10,000rpm boot drive
> (which is what I want) plus a 250GB 7,200rpm drive (which I don't need
> or want.) I think what happened is that I was looking at
> configurations with and wihout an additional data drive, but I
> realized since all of the data for this machine resides on a network
> attached storage device there was no need for a big data drive. And
> even if I did need such a drive in the future, it currently costs only
> $131 for a WD SATA150 250GB drive from Newegg and will be even less
> in the future, whereas Dell charges $299 for a similar 250GB drive. I
> had set up configurations with and without the extra HD, but then when
> it came time to buy I used the wrong saved configuration and forgot I
> had decided against the second drive.
>
> Please note that I am telling you the honest story instead of trying
> to claim Dell messed up my order. They didn't. I did. (I'm usually
> pretty careful about such things but I've been distracted by some
> family medical issues this week, so my concentration wasn't what I
> should have been.)
>
> I don't have a need for this drive on this computer, nor on any other
> one for the forseeable future and, being rather short on funds, I
> don't want to be out $299 for nothing. (Even selling the drive on Ebay
> would only get me $100 or so.) BTW the Precision 370 cost me $1635
> before taxes and peripherals. It would have been $1336 If I had not
> ordered the extra drive.
>
> So what to do? I know Dell has a total satisfaction policy, so,
> strictly speaking I could return the whole system and order another
> without the extra drive. But then I'd have to pay shipping back for an
> entire system (nearly $100), and that just seems like overkill.
> (Besides I do need a computer now and prices have gone up $50 since
> last week.) Does the total satisfaction policy allow return of _part_
> of a system. Do you think Dell will just let me take out the HD, pack
> it carefully, and ship it back to them for a refund of the $299?
> That's what I'd rather do but is it a realistic expectation?
>
> I'm going to call Dell, but first I thought I'd get some opionions on
> the group as to how to handle it. What's the best way to approach
> them about this?
>
> Curious

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

If they shipped it by UPS, you can go to the UPS website and "void a
shippment" from there.

Brad

WSZsr wrote:
> Your best option is to refuse delivery on the order. Do not sign for it.
> It will be returned to Dell and you will be credited the full amount within
> 30 days.
>
> Alternatively, you can call Dell customer service now and explain the
> situation. They may allow you to return the extra hard drive for a refund.
>
> "Curious" <Curious@nospam.com> wrote in message
>

>>I just ordered a Dell Precision 370. It has already been shipped but
>>has not yet arrived. When I looked at the invoice I realized I had
>>made an error in ordering. I ordered a second large hard drive I
>>don't need. The system is configured with a 74G 10,000rpm boot drive
>>(which is what I want) plus a 250GB 7,200rpm drive (which I don't need
>>or want.) I think what happened is that I was looking at
>>configurations with and wihout an additional data drive, but I
>>realized since all of the data for this machine resides on a network
>>attached storage device there was no need for a big data drive. And
>>even if I did need such a drive in the future, it currently costs only
>>$131 for a WD SATA150 250GB drive from Newegg and will be even less
>>in the future, whereas Dell charges $299 for a similar 250GB drive. I
>>had set up configurations with and without the extra HD, but then when
>>it came time to buy I used the wrong saved configuration and forgot I
>>had decided against the second drive.
>>
>>Please note that I am telling you the honest story instead of trying
>>to claim Dell messed up my order. They didn't. I did. (I'm usually
>>pretty careful about such things but I've been distracted by some
>>family medical issues this week, so my concentration wasn't what I
>>should have been.)
>>
>>I don't have a need for this drive on this computer, nor on any other
>>one for the forseeable future and, being rather short on funds, I
>>don't want to be out $299 for nothing. (Even selling the drive on Ebay
>>would only get me $100 or so.) BTW the Precision 370 cost me $1635
>>before taxes and peripherals. It would have been $1336 If I had not
>>ordered the extra drive.
>>
>>So what to do? I know Dell has a total satisfaction policy, so,
>>strictly speaking I could return the whole system and order another
>>without the extra drive. But then I'd have to pay shipping back for an
>>entire system (nearly $100), and that just seems like overkill.
>>(Besides I do need a computer now and prices have gone up $50 since
>>last week.) Does the total satisfaction policy allow return of _part_
>>of a system. Do you think Dell will just let me take out the HD, pack
>>it carefully, and ship it back to them for a refund of the $299?
>>That's what I'd rather do but is it a realistic expectation?
>>
>>I'm going to call Dell, but first I thought I'd get some opionions on
>>the group as to how to handle it. What's the best way to approach
>>them about this?
>>
>>Curious

laura

They may also be able to pull the order back from UPS. Else they will tell
you to return it unopened. Your best bet is to call Dell before it has
arrived.

> Your best option is to refuse delivery on the order. Do not sign for it.
> It will be returned to Dell and you will be credited the full amount
> within
> 30 days.
>
> Alternatively, you can call Dell customer service now and explain the
> situation. They may allow you to return the extra hard drive for a
> refund.
>
> "Curious" <Curious@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>

>> I just ordered a Dell Precision 370. It has already been shipped but
>> has not yet arrived. When I looked at the invoice I realized I had
>> made an error in ordering. I ordered a second large hard drive I
>> don't need. The system is configured with a 74G 10,000rpm boot drive
>> (which is what I want) plus a 250GB 7,200rpm drive (which I don't need
>> or want.) I think what happened is that I was looking at
>> configurations with and wihout an additional data drive, but I
>> realized since all of the data for this machine resides on a network
>> attached storage device there was no need for a big data drive. And
>> even if I did need such a drive in the future, it currently costs only
>> $131 for a WD SATA150 250GB drive from Newegg and will be even less
>> in the future, whereas Dell charges $299 for a similar 250GB drive. I
>> had set up configurations with and without the extra HD, but then when
>> it came time to buy I used the wrong saved configuration and forgot I
>> had decided against the second drive.
>>
>> Please note that I am telling you the honest story instead of trying
>> to claim Dell messed up my order. They didn't. I did. (I'm usually
>> pretty careful about such things but I've been distracted by some
>> family medical issues this week, so my concentration wasn't what I
>> should have been.)
>>
>> I don't have a need for this drive on this computer, nor on any other
>> one for the forseeable future and, being rather short on funds, I
>> don't want to be out $299 for nothing. (Even selling the drive on Ebay
>> would only get me $100 or so.) BTW the Precision 370 cost me $1635
>> before taxes and peripherals. It would have been $1336 If I had not
>> ordered the extra drive.
>>
>> So what to do? I know Dell has a total satisfaction policy, so,
>> strictly speaking I could return the whole system and order another
>> without the extra drive. But then I'd have to pay shipping back for an
>> entire system (nearly $100), and that just seems like overkill.
>> (Besides I do need a computer now and prices have gone up $50 since
>> last week.) Does the total satisfaction policy allow return of _part_
>> of a system. Do you think Dell will just let me take out the HD, pack
>> it carefully, and ship it back to them for a refund of the $299?
>> That's what I'd rather do but is it a realistic expectation?
>>
>> I'm going to call Dell, but first I thought I'd get some opionions on
>> the group as to how to handle it. What's the best way to approach
>> them about this?
>>
>> Curious

I'm surprised they didn't offer you a partial refund to keep it.
> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 14:47:05 -0400, Curious <Curious@nospam.com>

> Thanks to all who responded to my question. All the replies were
> helpful.
>
> I called Dell and explained the situation. I said I could just refuse
> shipment but I didn't want to go that far since the only problem was
> an extra hard drive and couldn't I just take that out and return it?
> They were very pleasant and said there would be no problem with
> returning the extra hard drive. They gave me a case number and said
> to call back when the system arrived for further instructions on
> shipping arrangements.
>
> So far so good (knock on wood)
>
> Curious

and your cool headed approach and call to customer service to discuss your
options was the best possible choice. they can be difficult and time
consuming to work through problems like this but they are an honest and
reasonable organization. they certainly know that the system configuration
pages can lead to purchasing mistakes... i am confidant that you will get
your refund. good luck.

> [...]
>>it carefully, and ship it back to them for a refund of the $299?
>>That's what I'd rather do but is it a realistic expectation?
>>
>>I'm going to call Dell, but first I thought I'd get some opionions on
>>the group as to how to handle it. What's the best way to approach
>>them about this?
>>
>>Curious
>>

> Thanks to all who responded to my question. All the replies were
> helpful.
>
> I called Dell and explained the situation. I said I could just refuse
> shipment but I didn't want to go that far since the only problem was
> an extra hard drive and couldn't I just take that out and return it?
> They were very pleasant and said there would be no problem with
> returning the extra hard drive. They gave me a case number and said
> to call back when the system arrived for further instructions on

Tom,

The last time I ordered two and only meant to order one (amusing anecdote
saved), I called and Dell gave me an RMA and I shipped it back. The next day
someone called and made me a great offer to keep it. Unfortunately it was on
the truck.