Boomerang Effect: Firefox 4 is 7x Faster than IE9

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
I hate the download from firefox ... i`m not ok with a predefined default download location, i always like to have control to where the i want to save my files.

My local cable tv company is my only source of Internet access for my home pc. I don't think the browser speed wars make any difference, especially in the afternoon when students come home from school. That's when things really slow down.

miloo

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
so far Chrome still my favorite, IE is just too slow for me ~
probably will try firefox soon ~

Safari will never consider ~ it sucks on iphone, sorry apple, safari just sucks badly ~

yyk71200

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
[citation][nom]ohim[/nom]I hate the download from firefox ... i`m not ok with a predefined default download location, i always like to have control to where the i want to save my files.[/citation]

But you can change that behavior in optios, so FF will ask you where to save files?

jgiron

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
As a developer I use all 5 major browsers (Chrome, Safari, IE 8, FF and Opera). Personally, IE 8 is crap compared to the other browsers and since we don't plan on upgrading a 1000+ computers to Vista/7 IE 9 means nothing to us. FF 4 on the other hand looks promising once all the addons update their software. Chrome and Opera are my primary browsers because of speed (Chrome more because of it's integration with gmail).
Safari? well it's ok - that's just that Mac hatter in me.

hebe

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Opera doesn't need add-ons to be functional. Having everything at my fingertips with no potentially faulty add-ons is nice. Opera's ad blocker lets you block any ads you want, or import from many lists you can easily find online... It also lets you disable all scripts for any site you want with a few quick clicks. Most of the people who love FF haven't even tried Opera, which is a real shame, but I don't envy their market share (and thus malware target ratio).

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Yep, everybody loves FF + adblocker and some other don know what plugins but few know that you have the same in Opera w/o any addons.

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
[citation][nom]reprotected[/nom]Firefox will be one of my all time favourite browsers because of the add-ons. Sure now Chrome and Safari can support them, but Chrome will NEVER get Adblock because it will block their own ads and Safari; maybe.[/citation]
Except they do have adblock support...its even made my the same devs as adblock for FF.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Hang on a minute, isn't it a bit desperate to start saying that a web browsers is rated on how fast it processes audio?

Just how fast does it need to be? We can't listen to it any faster, unless you want it to sound like the munchkins in the Wizard of Oz.

I don't mind FF4, but wont use it till my current plug-ins work with it.

The article is fair but the info is abstract. Most of the benchmark info is a benchmark created by Mozilla. That I do not like. I don't mind thrid party benchmarks and some of the Microsoft ones are decent because they actually utilize HTML5 or hardware acceleration which all browsers use. But I dislike benchmarks from a specific company because they can easily be twisted to their wants, much like the Google benchmark.

I for one would like to see a benchmark much like Microsoft does in their internal testing. One that is setup to run heavy load web pages from current standards and ones for next gen standards like HTML5 and hardware acceleration. I want them to be on equal machines to show loading times and performance.

In my testing on FF 4 vs IE9 Beats, FF and IE performed very well against each other trading blows but IE9 has built in mpeg4 support while FF 4 didn't or was not active.

The final release will be better to test at though since anything thats there should be active.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]In my testing on FF 4 vs IE9 Beats, FF and IE performed very well against each other trading blows but IE9 has built in mpeg4 support while FF 4 didn't or was not active.[/citation]
IE uses the native media playing capabilities of Windows to play proprietary formats. FF doesn't ship with out-of-the-box support for those formats since they release it under an Open Source license.

[citation][nom]Mikeadelic[/nom]I'm curious as to how Chrome fails so often? Not flaming just wondering. I haven't had any stability issues with Chrome for months, starting from Chrome 5.[/citation]

I downloaded and installed Chrome used it 1 time. Since then I tried re-opening it and it will not open. I also tried rebooting my computer. I left it on my computer for a few weeks randomly trying it and it never worked again so I uninstalled that P.O.S. FireFox on the other hand hasn't given me the issues that Chrome does and it seems to work better than IE8.

Fokissed

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
[citation][nom]reprotected[/nom]Firefox will be one of my all time favourite browsers because of the add-ons. Sure now Chrome and Safari can support them, but Chrome will NEVER get Adblock because it will block their own ads and Safari; maybe.[/citation]
Thats funny because I have Adblock installed in chrome right now, and have for months.

erloas

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2007
I have been using Opera for the most part at home. But it doesn't like to load embedded videos on a lot of sites. The Escapist is where I notice it most, but sometimes the Penny Arcade movies won't load either. So I'm still using IE for those cases and the once in a while where a secured site doesn't seem to like Opera. So more improvements to IE are still good.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
i use FF coz of its download manager. if you have multiple tabs open, you can read one site while another one loads. so speed is not so important to me.

bochica

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
I like the layout of Chrome, but the problem is that it freaks out after a while with flash apps. However, this could be because of the lack of the IT department updating the software here at my school, which is where I use chrome. For the past few years, I have been hooked to Firefox, it has all I need. As far as IE, it has behind the rest of the browsers. When IE comes out with something people call "new" it is most likely something borrowed off the other browsers, but with Microsoft's own spin (ie: tabbed browsing). I use IE only for the sites that don't like Firefox (a number that is decreasing at a substantial rate). One problem with Firefox though is it does use a good bit of resources, but they are trying to optimize their browser and the GPU acceleration will be a great benefit.

Sorry Opera, you just have been out of the game long before I switched off of IE.

kikireeki

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
The common things among the new browsers are the huge memory consumption, and poor handling of large amount of tabs. The browsers are no longer the light tiny wares they used to be!

I am currently using FF4 and while it is a big improvement over the older versions, it is still a far cry from complete.
Never give IE9 a try yet.

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I'd like to use safari on windows. I'm no apple fan, but right now it's the only browser that properly supports icc4 profiles (it's been broken in firefox for well over a year, and none of the others attempt to support it). Alas, no adblock+ or equivalent on other browsers is a deal breaker for me.

G

"""Firefox is always rock solid."""

Don't make me laugh, firefox is bloated and crash so often, open 3 youtubes tabs and BLAM!, all other tabs stopped working.
Mozilla only compare your browser with IE, while other browsers take the front. Sorry fanboys, but firefox is soooo 2007.

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
[citation][nom]ddragoonss[/nom]"""Firefox is always rock solid."""Don't make me laugh, firefox is bloated and crash so often, open 3 youtubes tabs and BLAM!, all other tabs stopped working.Mozilla only compare your browser with IE, while other browsers take the front. Sorry fanboys, but firefox is soooo 2007.[/citation]
I just opened up 25 youtube tabs. And I'm posting this.

But yes, it does feel bloated.

motamedn

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
[citation][nom]Mikeadelic[/nom]I'm curious as to how Chrome fails so often? Not flaming just wondering. I haven't had any stability issues with Chrome for months, starting from Chrome 5.[/citation]
Chrome often fails with Flash integration. I am a huge fan of chrome btw, but when you load up say fantasy football pages on yahoo or several youtube pages, the browser loses its luster and slows severely.

Occasionally there are problems with (ironically enough) gmail, but in general chrome is still >>> the competition to me. I use chrome consistently across several computers all on win7. I'm sure others have wildly different experiences. And that's to be expected, especially given that I install a decent number of extensions.

suisenbenjo

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
[citation][nom]ohim[/nom]I hate the download from firefox ... i`m not ok with a predefined default download location, i always like to have control to where the i want to save my files.[/citation]
Yeah, and it takes a whole 4 mouse clicks to change that...

Firefox 4.0 Beta 6 opens probably 7 times slower than IE9.
Firefox 4.0 Beta 6 responds probably 7 times slower than IE9 after opening.
Firefox 4.0 Beta 6 runs consistently slower on my laptop against IE9, which flies.

Nah, I'm not going back.

Status
Not open for further replies.