Question Boot a Windows 10 tablet from USB ( "Update & Security" method didn't work) ?

Mugsy

Distinguished
May 12, 2004
I have a Windows 10 tablet that I'm trying to get to boot from a USB flash drive. My ultimate goal is to run Linux on it from a "LiveUSB".

After figuring out how to get into the BIOS, I discovered that there's no "Boot from USB" option.

A little research online said I could use "Update & Security" in Win10's Settings (U&S | Recovery | Advanced) to boot from USB. But these two options... "Boot the drive in UEFI mode" or "Boot to Shell" didn't work.
The first option simply ignored the boot drive, and I couldn't figure out how to do anything from the Shell CLI.)

I'm wondering if there's another way to boot from USB on a tablet when there's no "Boot from USB" option in the BIOS?

TIA

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
After figuring out how to get into the BIOS, I discovered that there's no "Boot from USB" option.
When hardware doesn't support it, then there's nothing you can do about it.

A little research online said I could use "Update & Security" in Win10's Settings (U&S | Recovery | Advanced) to boot from USB. But these two options... "Boot the drive in UEFI mode" or "Boot to Shell" didn't work.
Win has 0 to do with booting from USB, since that is defined by hardware, and not OS on it.

E.g Android or Chromebook tablet can have the same issue, where there is no option in BIOS to boot from USB.

Mugsy

Distinguished
May 12, 2004
When hardware doesn't support it, then there's nothing you can do about it.

Win has 0 to do with booting from USB, since that is defined by hardware, and not OS on it.

E.g Android or Chromebook tablet can have the same issue, where there is no option in BIOS to boot from USB.

Thanks for the reply.

I question whether or not one can boot from USB using the method I described above.

The computer did indeed reboot, and my flash drive's activity light showed it was indeed being read before the Windows rotating busy icon appeared, and then loaded the "shell" instead of Windows, it it appeared to at least "try".

The old 1GB thumb drive I used was pre-UEFI. I don't have a newer UEFI-compatible flash drive, but I'm curious to know if it would work before running out and buying one.

Can someone try it? TIA