boot.ini drive config question

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

i currently have two hard drives. one on primary ide
channel (C:) booting the windows xp boot
manager....windows me is on C: and the other drive is on
the secondary ide channel booting windows xp (d:). both
are masters. i want to move the drive off the secondary
ide channel on to the primary ide as a slave (long story).

i need to know the consequences

Will the drives still be labeled C: and D: Respectively?
they are the only two hard drives in the system.

will i have to change my boot.ini to reflect the change
of the drive from its secondary IDE channel to the
primary one? my boot.ini is currently

[boot loader]
timeout=15
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft
Windows XP Home
Edition" /fastdetect /sos /bootlog /NoExecute=OptOut
C:\="Microsoft Windows ME"
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery
Console" /cmdcons

will i have to change anything in this to reflect the new
drive being the slave on the primary ide channel rather
than being the master on the secondary ide channel?

any help would be appreciated.

Dave, you are not adding or deleting any partitions so I don't think it
will affect your Boot.ini. You could always change it back or do a Bootcfg
/rebuild from the Recovery Console.
;314058]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];314058

"dave" <dave8555@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> i currently have two hard drives. one on primary ide
> channel (C:) booting the windows xp boot
> manager....windows me is on C: and the other drive is on
> the secondary ide channel booting windows xp (d:). both
> are masters. i want to move the drive off the secondary
> ide channel on to the primary ide as a slave (long story).
>
> i need to know the consequences
>
> Will the drives still be labeled C: and D: Respectively?
> they are the only two hard drives in the system.
>
> will i have to change my boot.ini to reflect the change
> of the drive from its secondary IDE channel to the
> primary one? my boot.ini is currently
>
> [boot loader]
> timeout=15
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft
> Windows XP Home
> Edition" /fastdetect /sos /bootlog /NoExecute=OptOut
> C:\="Microsoft Windows ME"
> C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery
> Console" /cmdcons
>
> will i have to change anything in this to reflect the new
> drive being the slave on the primary ide channel rather
> than being the master on the secondary ide channel?
>
> any help would be appreciated.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003